2.1 active speaker and sub integration with room eq options?

blue max

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kit:
Dynaudio Xeo 6 with connect box (over wifi). They are active floorstanders and go down to a claimed 31Hz.
Arendal 1723 v1 with connect link box.

All sound goes through an Apple Airport 2. This is linked to the connect box and to the speakers. The link box connects the sub to the same output from the connect box.

I appreciate this is very specific, which is why I'm hoping for some help.

I have done a REW sweep and used the onboard PEQ to tame the sub. But I don't have any way to high pass the main speakers.

It probably needs some sort of room eq (dirac live?).

My thoughts are getting a MiniDSP and the Dirac upgrade, but will that do what I want? Can I feed out to the connect box via stereo coax and have a direct connection to the sub? And will it all work together?

Or could I get an av pre-amp or similar?

If anyone can shine a light into my options, I would be very grateful.

The new miniDSP Flex should work a treat, it's just received a glowing review at ASR.

Your current kit is a bit unclear though. Can you put the exact models or links and say which but is plugged into which. (Not the sub & speakers the other bits.)

So is there a cable (optical or USB) between the Airport Express and the Connect Box?

If that's the case then you can put something between for high pass.

A miniDSP 2x4HD (gives EQ and filters) or DDRC24 (adds Dirac) or Flex (gives cool box and remote) will do what you need.

So is there a cable (optical or USB) between the Airport Express and the Connect Box?

If that's the case then you can put something between for high pass.

A miniDSP 2x4HD (gives EQ and filters) or DDRC24 (adds Dirac) or Flex (gives cool box and remote) will do what you need.

I am seriously attracted to the likes of Dirac. I was looking at adding a miniDSP flex or SDH (which was recommended). It would have to be night and day difference to make it worth the cash though.

Is this room response considered ok (after I PEQ'd the sub with it's on-board filters)?

And second with mains too...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 22.36.57.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 22.36.57.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 16.34.51.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 16.34.51.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 53
Just to check - how does the signal get from the Airport Express to the Connect box? via optical or USB cable or something else?

Then the optical can go into the miniDSP and you have 4 channels out. 2 into the connect (=> wireless to the speakers) and one wired to the sub.

You can use the DSP and Dirac Live on all 3 channels with an extra channel to spare in case you ever wanted another sub.

Then the optical can go into the miniDSP and you have 4 channels out. 2 into the connect (=> wireless to the speakers) and one wired to the sub.

You can use the DSP and Dirac Live on all 3 channels with an extra channel to spare in case you ever wanted another sub.
I understand the two channels out to the connect, but do I just run a single lead to just one of the inputs on the sub? Is that enough, or do I need a splitter?

I believe I need a digital connection to the speakers and an analogue to the sub. That means I'm limited to the miniDSP flex or the SHD.

Am I undestanding correctly?

Screenshot_20220212-074118_Samsung Internet.jpg

Photo title says digital output version is coming mid Q1 2022

3rd bullit point up.

Just what I've been waiting for.

Hmm...

Screenshot_20220212-083558_Samsung Internet.jpg

8 corners, 8 subs?

3 way digital active speakers + stereo subs?

Doesn't your connect box have RCA in? I thought that was partly the point of it - so that you could use it for CD player or phono.

It does have rca, but I’ve been recommended to connect my digital out from my tv to the digital in on the connect for best sound quality

It does have rca, but I’ve been recommended to connect my digital out from my tv to the digital in on the connect for best sound quality

You really don't need to worry about the difference between RCA and optical for sound quality.

But you didn't mention the TV before. We need a map. Presumably you'd like the DSP to apply to EVERYTHING, not just music?

You really don't need to worry about the difference between RCA and optical for sound quality.

But you didn't mention the TV before. We need a map. Presumably you'd like the DSP to apply to EVERYTHING, not just music?

Yes, but everything currently runs via Airplay 2.

I have airpod mini, mac mini, AppleTV and a plex server (files on a nas and running on the always-on mac mini) and an LG OLEDCX.

Airplay 2 gives me great flexibility. If I was to use a different input on the connect box, I would have to use the proprietary remote to switch inputs/outputs.

The reason the dealer was suggesting I use the optical input from the tv into the miniDSP flex is that the airplay might diminish the bandwidth. He's making a case for using the miniDSP SHD, which ups the ante by a margin.

The sub can accept balanced inputs by the way. But probably not worth the potential gains.

Appreciate you sticking with this. It's just hard to have a perspective unless you know all the pitfalls.

I'm afraid I'm completely lost as to how your current setup fits together.

Basic principle though is that for anything you want to apply DSP to you are going to put the miniDSP in the path somehow.

The output path is going to have to be from the miniDSP to the speakers and sub as the last stage. The Flex has 4 inputs: USB, Optical, SPDIF & RCA and from a quality point of view it makes no difference which one you use.

I'm not at all sure why the dealer thinks that you would want to prioritise the sound quality coming out of your TV over music quality, but if that's what you actually want then that's fine.

If you can feed everything first into the Airport Express then perhaps you will be able to just use one input on the miniDSP otherwise you are going to have to give up on the convenience of being able to do everything via Airplay.

Here is my system. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• AV_system.JPG
    AV_system.JPG
    697.7 KB · Views: 125
Fantastic. That's easy then.

You put the optical cable into the optical input of the Flex.

The Flex has 4 RCA outputs - 1&2 go into the Connect box which then drives the speakers and 3&4 goes into the subwoofer directly. You will no longer need the Link box.

The first thing to think about is to get rid of the wifi element between your sources and the airport express. It’s very convenient (I’ve used it too) but it’s not a great way to transmit sound for this level of kit.

I thought AirPlay 2 was pretty good? But I’ll have a think how it could be done wired.

Think I'm going to be stuck with Airplay as taking an optical cable out of the tv would limit it to playing when the TV was on and I listen to the radio/music while I'm working at my computer. Also I can use Siri to play via Apple music too.
Seems like I'm ready to throw the bucks at a miniDSP flex without Dirac as it's available as a direct download and won't be paying import duties/vat on it.

Not sure whether to go for the dirac, but will see how I get on.

NB I have used the onboard PEQs to get as near a flat response to the sub alone. When used with the mains, it is actually worse! Is that the usual experience?

Think I'm going to be stuck with Airplay as taking an optical cable out of the tv would limit it to playing when the TV was on and I listen to the radio/music while I'm working at my computer. Also I can use Siri to play via Apple music too.
Seems like I'm ready to throw the bucks at a miniDSP flex without Dirac as it's available as a direct download and won't be paying import duties/vat on it.

Not sure whether to go for the dirac, but will see how I get on.

NB I have used the onboard PEQs to get as near a flat response to the sub alone. When used with the mains, it is actually worse! Is that the usual experience?

Just check that is possible. The Dirac license is integrated/tied to the hardware.

It's not the same as the download from the Dirac website I don't think. If you can buy afterwards from the miniDSP site that is fine.

Just check that is possible. The Dirac license is integrated/tied to the hardware.

It's not the same as the download from the Dirac website I don't think. If you can buy afterwards from the miniDSP site that is fine.

I read this tip on this thread - Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP) Can't remember which page though.

It is available on the dirac website - Flex Dirac Live upgrade

So, £147.10 if I understand correctly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom