2.1 active speaker and sub integration with room eq options?

gava

blue max

Distinguished Member
That's fine then. Makes sense to do it that way. I guess you will need to enter the hardware serial # or similar.
I think there may be some authentication that the company have to authorise post purchase. I have no doubt they won't lose control of such a valuable asset.

And yes, it should be significantly cheaper this way.

3rdignis

You can run everything hdmi to tv, optical out.

To play sound and turn the screen off, hold the Mike button on tv remote and say "screen off"

This function comes and goes with updates.

3rdignis

Wait for the digital out flex.

gava

3rdignis

You would have to use a cheap dac for the sub to use flex advanced hi/lo pass.

blue max

Distinguished Member

I hooked the optical out from the tv to the connect box and then found I had to use the tv remote to control the volume to the main speakers. How would that stay in sync with the sub? Or would the flex take over that duty?

I'm interested in your reasoning for waiting for the digital version. What would that give me that the current version wouldn't? Especially when the current version is supposed to have a decent dac.

The connect box can connect a digital connection and the sub an analogue one. On the face of it, the current one will do both. Do you think the all digital version will be cheaper or better? I'd have thought adding another box (dac) would add to the expense or reduce the quality.

gava

You can run everything hdmi to tv, optical out.

To play sound and turn the screen off, hold the Mike button on tv remote and say "screen off"

This function comes and goes with updates.

So you have to pick up a remote hold down a button and say "screen off" when you could just pick up a remote and turn the screen off?

What will they think of next?

3rdignis

My understanding is optical sends a fixed signal.

Digital only version of flex means only one dac inside your speakers.

The flex doesn't output digital and analog.

gava

Which cheap DAC are you talking about?

The one in the Flex with a SINAD of -114dB? Why would you think the one in the Xeo is any better?

blue max

Distinguished Member
My understanding is optical sends a fixed signal.

Digital only version of flex means only one dac inside your speakers.

The flex doesn't output digital and analog.

I think you may be on to something. I assumed the sub (Arendal 1723 V1) would only take analogue, but I connected one input to the coax out on the link box and it played. So, that means it can take a digital input. It sounds like you were right all along and I should purchase the digital version.

It has been suggested I buy the SHD (non studio) for the very reason I needed analogue.

It's so easy to go wrong here : (

3rdignis

Coaxial digital will play through analog rca. I don't know how and wouldn't use it that way.

Your sub would only need the cheap dac.

You could use a different wireless for your sub.

blue max

Distinguished Member
Coaxial digital will play through analog rca. I don't know how and wouldn't use it that way.

Your sub would only need the cheap dac.

You could use a different wireless for your sub.

I was wrong about the digital coax playing the sub - my mistake.

I would be interested to explore more why you suggested going the digital route.

As I see it, the analogue flex will supply an analogue signal to the mains and the sub. Presumably the connect box will have to convert back to digital and allow the speakers dac to make the final transformation.

Or the digital flex will supply a digital signal to the connect box, but need a dac between the flex and sub. Any thoughts on a cheap dac?

I can see the merits of keeping things digital, especially if using DIRAC. Outputting a completely digital signal to the connect box does seem to be the most sensible route. Maybe the sub doesn't need absolutely the best quality signal. And perhaps the digital version may be a little cheaper? Anyone know the pricing expectations?

It's a shame the flex analogue doesn't offer a digital out too.

The perfect solution seems to be the SHD, though it's £1600.

3rdignis

blue max

Distinguished Member
It appears your main speakers have dsp crossovers, so digital active crossovers.

Similar to what flex does.

Does the connect box have hi/low pass?

Personally I would use a physical digital connection throughout if possible.

Complete overkill for your sub

The connect box does not have any hi/low pass at all unfortunately.

Would this do? Fisual DAC-2000 Digital To Analogue Audio Converter at AV.com

I'm only really wanting to add room EQ to my system. And certainly a way to apply a hi pass to my mains. I think the flex digital is going to do that for me.

3rdignis

Are you dropping the link extender to gain hi/lo pass from flex.

Any dac for wired connection from flex to sub. (Barring ground loops (xlr))

Don't need separate/alternative wireless from flex to dac + sub?

Gilbers

The same wireless signal from the Connect box goes to both the speakers and Link box, so you can't high-pass the speakers and still have the sub play the low bits. If you must have a wireless connection to the sub then you'll either need a second Connect box operating on a separate band (they support up to three bands) or some other wireless sub system (e.g. SVS sound path) - although it would be hard to guarantee the latter won't interfere with your existing Connect. Assuming you do the former the analogue Flex would work fine, although it would seem much simpler (and cheaper!) to have a wired connection to the sub.

3rdignis

Screenshot_20220212-083558_Samsung Internet.jpg

So flex digital output 1 to 1st connect box on band 1 to main speakers (high pass) only dac of speaker dsp crossover used.

Flex digital output 2 to 2nd connect box on band 2 to link box to sub (low pass)

blue max

Distinguished Member
The same wireless signal from the Connect box goes to both the speakers and Link box, so you can't high-pass the speakers and still have the sub play the low bits. If you must have a wireless connection to the sub then you'll either need a second Connect box operating on a separate band (they support up to three bands) or some other wireless sub system (e.g. SVS sound path) - although it would be hard to guarantee the latter won't interfere with your existing Connect. Assuming you do the former the analogue Flex would work fine, although it would seem much simpler (and cheaper!) to have a wired connection to the sub.
Funnily enough, I reached that conclusion too. I'm not completely wedded to the Dynaudio box for the sub, but it would seem to be a convenient solution. However, the cost does not justify this convenience! Having said that, I will have to allow for a dac if getting the digital flex (think it better to keep the main speakers in the digital domain). Or splash the cash on the SHD. The more I struggle with this, the more I'm drawn to the SHD.

Gilbers

What I would say, is if you are considering an approach with two Connect boxes definitely check that at least two of the available bands work without drop-outs on your existing box before shelling out for a second one. I found that in my environment at least one of the bands struggled (I assume due to interference from other wireless tech in my house). I personally would go for a wired solution, but if you were determined to try another Connect there is currently one going for a good price on Ebay (full disclosure - it's mine, but then I'm actually recommending you don't buy it!)

blue max

Distinguished Member
What I would say, is if you are considering an approach with two Connect boxes definitely check that at least two of the available bands work without drop-outs on your existing box before shelling out for a second one. I found that in my environment at least one of the bands struggled (I assume due to interference from other wireless tech in my house). I personally would go for a wired solution, but if you were determined to try another Connect there is currently one going for a good price on Ebay (full disclosure - it's mine, but then I'm actually recommending you don't buy it!)

And you will have seen my offer then :rotfl:

Thank you so much for your advice. I do think it would be convenient if it worked. Sadly moved into a renovated flat and zero possibility of hiding cables.

Actually, it's worth it if I can buy a digital only version of the miniDSP and not have to buy a DAC.

My head is spinning!!! And I have no idea if it will be night and day difference when I'm done. It sounds pretty good already!

Gilbers

I wouldn’t get hung up on using the digital Flex. In my experience an extra DA/AD conversion is going to make little to no difference. Either get an analogue Flex and locate the Airport, Connect and Flex next to the sub, with a wired connection into the sub, or if you must have the digital Flex, same again but with a cheap dac to feed the sub.

blue max

Distinguished Member
Just to update for all those who might be interested... Picked up a minidsp SHD! Upgraded my speakers to Dynaudio Focus 30XD and am waiting for a new mac mini to run the software.

Connected my sub with XLR cables and have run digital coax to both speakers.

I'll report back when I have had a chance to run the Dirac software.

Tony212

Interesting thread. I have exactly the same issue except I have the Xeo 6 speakers (the same as the ones you're now trying to sell). I don't have a sub yet but I intend to buy one soon. I've just picked up an SHD at a reduced price as it was open box, so I'm happy about that. How did you get on with integrating the SHD into your system, and the high/low pass and room correction?

By the way, you're right about keeping the feed to the Connect box digital for the main speakers. It reduces conversion stages and the Dynaudios sound better working with a digital signal right to the last stage, where they do the final conversion.

blue max

Distinguished Member
Hi @Tony212, that's good. The SHD is a great bit of kit! The sub integration is amazing. I keep tweaking my setup, but I live on a busy road on a hill, so it's hard to get a quiet time to run the sweeps. Even at 4am! It's surprising how much noise a single car can make.
I need to experiment with the LP/HP filters to confirm my choices are correct and optimal. I'm trying to get my head around REW too as it can help with understanding the room.
The SHD noise floor is silent. I'm using Volumio with a trial of Qobuz. And it sounds incredible. You can't tell the sub is working. Turning off Dirac sounds bloated and boomy in comparison. I'm pretty happy with the bass, but may pull the curtain over some of the higher stuff as it can sounds a bit different - dead is too strong, but muted perhaps? Not sure if it's just that I need to learn what it actually should sound like.
I've never been able to locate my sub. So, am happy to buy a single better one, that two poorer ones. I'm lucky to have a spot for it in front of the main speakers which helps I believe.

Attachments

• setup.JPG
    setup.JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 25

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand