1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1x1 mapping on a plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Twan1, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hiya all, (not sure if this is in the right place)

but on a few of the threads i've seen people mention getting 1x1 mapping.

I'm really new to this but can anyone tell me what this is????

Thanks
    Anton

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Basically it’s sending the display device its native resolution from either an external scaler or a HTPC to bypass the devices internal deinterlacer and scaler to hopefully provide a better image as the external processing should be superior to that of the display device.

Cheers, Lee

3. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thanks Lee,
    i think i get you! as thats the main reason im getting my arcam dv88 dvd player sdi modified to run into something like a lumagen or crystalio.
    i noticed that you have a pio 50mxe, im thinking of getting one, can you really get a stunning picture on a 50" plasma as i know many previous models i've not been to impressed with (tho never seen used with an external scaler to be fair) Also when usuing an good scaler is it true you can get rid of the letterbox black bars on the screen but keep the aspect ratio and quality?
    Thanks
    Anton

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yeah SDI in and DVI out would be the ideal as then you are keeping everything digital with no nasty AD or DA conversion steps.

I have my Sky+ box SDI modded and will be getting my 3910 done shortly.

The scaler makes a huge difference to the MXE1, or any suitable plasma in fact, and I would not consider using one without one in fact. It makes for a very good combination with the MXE1 as its one of the few panels that has native resolution support at both 50Hz & 60Hz which leads to extreamly smooth motion and pans.

I am very pleased with mine but it could do with a tad more contrast as blacks are not as deep as they could be but the colours are vibrant and it shows plenty of detail in the darker areas which other panels loose completely.

I would only use the word stunning when it's running HD material...then it really is stunning...the rest of the time with SD stuff is merely excellent...but I'm very hard to please when it comes to PQ.

Both the Crystalio and the Lumagem will allow you to loose the black bars whilst maintaining the correct aspect ratio. I had a Crystalio on loan for a while when I had a 50" series 6 panny but could not get it to run at native resolution smoothly...not sure what the problem was but they have released a number of firmware upgrades since. The Lumagen has just come out of Beta but still has areas which are going to be improved upon but it's working great for me so far.

Cheers, Lee

5. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thanks for all your help lee, think im gonna book in a demo for the 50 mxe with a scaler very soon!

Thanks again
    Anton