For Sale 1x pair of B&W 683 S2, 2x pairs of B&W685 S2s

Discussion in 'Archived Classifieds' started by Riddy, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

After much thought and consideration I decided the best thing and most logical thing to do for my room size {12' x 11'} was to downsize everything, in order for the kind of sound I was after, and at a volume {db, that is} that didn't actually exacerbate the problems further.

Let's start with the monoliths that are the 683 S2...

Weighing in at 15KGs each, these are straight~up beasts that will dominate whatever you throw at them. Now, in a small room {even the size of mine} they worked very well for movies as the AVR EQd them very well, definitely didn't need a subwoofer to help with bass {I was running them off a Yamaha RXA3040}, and only for LFE purposes. Just ultimately too big for the space I have.

It's with a stereo amp I had the biggest problem, in that they were FAR TOO powerful in this space, to the point of being painful... and that was using LESS than HALF of what a Denon DM41 {a £300ish stereo amp} could put out. Hilariously ridiculous, really, couldn't beiieve it when I heard them "unchained".

You can Google reviews to your heart's content, but trust me they're worth every penny of their asking price. In terms of genre they'll handle everything you throw at them, excelling in the bass department and would likely break your room before they broke!

www.whathifi.com/bw/683-s2/review

B&W 683 S2 Speakers | B&W | Audio T

£500 collected or delivered at buyer's expense.

... And now the 685 S2... {x1 pair}

The bigger of the 2 standmounts in the 600 range, and still extremely powerful even next to the 683's, just don't dig quite as deep, but still easily go as low as 40hz, depending on room size. Otherwise much of what I wrote about the 683's applies here, just on a "smaller" scale, is all.

So wether you're looking for a Home Theatre setup or Stereo setup you could have the 683's as Fronts and 685's as Surrounds and be VERY happy! Just add the matching Centre if you wish for a dedicated Centre channel, however you would get a Phantom centre out of these as the scale is HUGE, particularly on the 683's.

B&W 685 S2 review

B&W 685 S2 Speakers | B&W | Audio T

£240 {scuffed} collected or delivered at buyer's expense.

All these speakers are ex-demo in perfect working order and only 1 of the 685's has a couple of scuffs {pictured}, and I bought them at a discounted price in this condition. The 683's are complete with boxes, plinths and rubber feet/ spikes depending on the surface they're on. I have a box for one of the pairs of the 685's, not sure about the other.

Any questions, fire away!

Price and currency: Various
    Delivery: Goods must be exchanged in person
    Payment method: Cash or PayPal
    Advertised elsewhere?: Not advertised elsewhere
    Prefer goods collected?: I prefer the goods to be collected

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via private conversation to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:

• Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct, too
    • Name and address including postcode
    • Valid e-mail address
    DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. guestie1

guestie1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I'm going to be in Manchester this weekend around Deansgate/Piccadilly stations, can you take a bit less on the 685 S2's? I'm going way above my budget already and you'd make my day :)

3. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How much less?

4. guestie1

guestie1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you take £250? Couple of places have them for £350 new at the moment

5. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Could you stretch to £260? Where's selling for £350, out of interest?

6. guestie1

guestie1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seven oaks sound and vision has some. How close are you to deansgate? I'm heading there today for a meal and will be staying overnight but I don't have transport. If you have kik/whatsapp or something PM details and we can arrange something.

7. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm 30 mins from Deansgate, dude. If you're happy with my offer I'll PM you my postcode details etc.

I'm working 'til 8pm the next 3 days, but you're welcome to come after that, or since I work in Manc {down Oxford Rd} you could pick them up after I finish work tomorrow?

8. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Bump

9. Bryn1

Bryn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi, what colour are the 683's and how old are they please mate?

10. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    They're black and in excellent condition. I used them for just a few days, but they were bought/ traded for from AudioT in Manchester as an ex demo pair, so I imagine they've had minimum use between them demoing and myself using.

Bit of a steal, basically.

11. Bryn1

Bryn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    When did you acquire them?

12. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    2 weeks ago, if that.

I had a power amp that I traded for them, which was valued at £975, so since I've done a lot of business with them and the amp was a complete waste of time for my needs, we agreed to a trade/ straight swap. And since I'd had a pair years ago, but then traded them for some CM10 S2's {the reason I bought the power amp}, and since they're even more powerful than the 683's they were killing music at the volume I listen to it, since my room's small, I sold them on eBay.

So I figured I'd get the 683's back since it'd be easier to sell them if I couldn't integrate them in this space... and I could for movies, but for music they're simply too powerful, and so here they are for a steal of a price.

13. Bryn1

Bryn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Thanks for the clarification, was so tempted by these but unfortunately due to the distance for collection just a bit too far for me just now so will have to bow out here, good luck with the sale, someone is going to get a cracking deal here :)

14. manda0706

manda0706

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi I would like to offer £500 for the 683 s2's on the basis they are in excellent condition and would be able to collect as im local.

May be interested in a pair of 685's as well (the least marked pair).

Thanks

15. DaveGladwin

DaveGladwin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Do the 683 come with the lower plinths and / or the original boxes?

Thanks

16. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No problem, and quite right they are!

£500 is far too low. Last pair I saw sold on eBay a few days ago for £700, and other pair for sale is is currently going for £850, so my asking price is extremely fair, especially since I already lowered it £50 from my original asking price.

B&W 683 S2 (Black Ash) Speakers (Pair) | eBay

Apparently comes with a 5 year guarantee, is also ex-demo {so mine may also have some warranty, I'd have to ask the store, but these things are soldly built monoliths in any case!}.

The 685's are currently being sold for £350 new some places, but I could lower it depending on your offer for the combined price of the 683's and 685's, if you were to go the route of the near complete package. And yes, you would of course have dibs on the best pair, of 685's, no problem.

But like I say, £500 is too low for what you're getting here. I wouldn't be selling if I didn't have to.

Yes to both questions.

17. manda0706

manda0706

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi

Thanks for the response and I appreciate your stance. Was a bit of a chance offer as you are local and I have had some 684 s2's previously. My cinema room is small like yours so im taking a bit of a risk with the 683's but would like to try them but may have to resell if too big for the room.

The ebay ones for £700 would be subject to ebay and possibly paypal fees but I see your point and really it all depends what someone is prepared to pay at the time.

Anyway, ill up my offer to £550 collected for the 683's (no ebay issues etc) ? please :)

18. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Oh, eBay are a ripoff for selling! I get they're a business, but when I sold my CM10's they went for £2,000ish, and once they'd took their chunk {plus an end of month invoice} I was left with closer to £1,200! Neveeeer again! Having said that the lower the cost of the item, the less they'll take as a cut. This is where it's handy being a Power Seller...

They worked great as home theatre speakers, due to the fact the AVR EQ's them very well, so movies weren't a problem at all.

Would you be running them off an AVR too, and are you still interested in the 685's also {for Surrounds I'm guessing?}.

19. manda0706

manda0706

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi
    yes i will be running off and avr but generally never use the eq unless i have a particular issue. I find the amps sound purer to my ear with eq turned off but for movie watching do set the crossover to the sub at 80hz which usually cleans up the bass. For music would be pure direct. The 684,s worked ok in my room but lacked a little dynamics.

The 685's would depend on the deal and condition to be honest as i already have some discreet monitor audio apex rears that do a good job but may be interested?

Is £550 acceptable for the 683,s ? and what would you want for a package with a pair of 685?

Thanks

20. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    By the sounds of it you're using a Yammy AVR, like me. For movies I find Flat works best in my room, given the decor etc, but yeah use as you see fit.

The 685's are good as new. £550 is better, but still aways off my asking price. Would £850 for the 683's and 685's work for you, so you'd be getting the 685's for £50 less?

21. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Also, the dynamics should be better since the midrange driver is bigger, and has 2 dedicated woofers for increased SPL when called for.

Last movie I watched on them was Live Free or Die Hard, and it truly rocked!

22. manda0706

manda0706

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi
    Done a bit of research and like the other poster has said the 685's are available for 349 new now. Whilst looking at this noticed the same dealer is selling 683's for 799 btand new. im guessing a newer version is due.
    Im tempted to just go new to be honest as its not that much more and get a matching centre instead of 685's.

So to clarify ill leave the 685's for now but i could still be interested in the 683's. Can you confirm if there are any marks on the speakers or plinths at all please before i confirm my interest and offer.
    Thanks

23. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah, heard they were bringing some new models out, and that's a good price.

How about £700 for the combo?

But yeah, all in great condition, the plinths are still sealed, never used them.

You said you live local, where abouts?

24. manda0706

manda0706

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi
    Thanks for the package offer, im assuming a 475/225 split so would you take 500 for the 683's on their own? You should be able to get 200 plus for the 685's easy.Think id prefer to get just the 683s and then a matching centre from somewhere.
    Im in Glossop, i believe you are in A U L so collection isnt a problem. Please confirm all drivers and tweeters are in perfect working order and if acceptable we can take to pm.
    Thanks

25. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    They're in superb condition, just look at the pics. You're obviously welcome to a demo, so if you go ahead with the sale then bring a CD to blast, fine by me.

And yes, I'll take a loss since the market value on these things drops so quick, and go for £500. Better they go to good use than gather dust.

You could likely get the matching centre quite easy, but the 683's throw a huge soundstage as is, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I had a matching Centre 2 S2 ages ago, and for the record that's a good 15/20KG by itself, unless you go for the smaller version of course.

26. manda0706

manda0706

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi
    Deal agreed at 500 thanks. If you could please pm me your contact details ill get in touch tommorrow to arrange pick up. Off to bed now as have an early start tomorrow and long drive. im looking at gettimg the htm61 s2 centre which is a matching 3 way.

27. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,939
    Ah crap, I'd have had those at £500 - oh well

28. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah, that centre would work nicely, no doubt. Catch ya on PM.

29. Riddy

Riddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sittin' on the sidelines, were ya? How about the 685's?

30. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,939
    Already got a pair :)