1x larger sub vs 2x smaller subs, Upgrading my subs

Exeon

Standard Member
Multiple subs better than single sub every single day of the week. Factor in you need a device to time align them (miniDSP2x4HD + UMIK).
You need a miniDSP2x4HD if going dual subs, not the app support from Arendal. If you aren't aware of this, I suggest you do more reading before making a very expensive purchase as its best to understand the devices first. You need to time align the subs etc.

I've looked this up now, I believe I was planning to get something similar if I went for XTZ, their room analyzer pro II:

I'm not sure how it stacks against a miniDSP, but the miniDSP + mic would set me back 360€, while the room analyzer would be 190€, this price difference probably has to do with VAT and import tax, as XTZ is european.

I wasn't entirely sure I would need it, as I have a friend that does audio installation, and I believe he may have similar equipment to do this.
So I didn't include this in the price for the dual setup.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yea I personally prefer the look of the Ardenal, but she has issue with the driver being on the side and the port being in the back, which also means more distance from the wall and putting it in a weird angle.

She didn't want me to turn the dual subwoofer setup diagonally, they had to be straight front facing, and symetrical.
Initially I had both of them to the back of the wall, but the bass sounded "trapped"
The only other alternative I have for a dual 12" setup is to put them in between the front right and front left towers to the back of the wall.

With this setup they would be 1.5m apart from each other.
But I'm not sure this would be optimal.

I think I have more chances in the future with dual 15"s if she can view one as a coffee table, but I can't be sure that ever happens.

As far as some additional measurements go:
The fireplace is about 30 cm sticking out of the wall (there are parts that are larger but the width is pretty minimal)
The 2 MLP's are 1.6m and 2.1m from the wall.
The wall where the subs are currently located is 4.15m wide, while the rest of the room is 5m wide.
The sub driver and ports will be 0.8m from the wall.

I should be able to turn a single sub setup by a couple of degrees to either side(without the wife noticing) but this does impact anything? I believe it should, but it might be minimal.

I prefer the look of the 13" and so does my wife, but rounded edges won't fit with the rest of the house, also it has more depth so it'll be the 15".
1000$ would be a steal, I might wait for v2 to come out before pulling the trigger.

I really appreciate all of the help, it's been making this process a lot easier.

Many Arendal (ported) owners here keep the sub fairly close to wall same as SVS PC2000 which is rear ported aswell. Another way i see them placed is sideways which would be great depth wise, but the cables would be seen so it`s a no go.

How far away the subwoofers driver (middle) would be from front wall at the right side wall? I mean the exact placement; distance from front wall to middle of subs driver?

Forget the room analyzer as you have free program REW and you just need to buy the Umik-1 (usb mic) i linked and have laptop. REW is most used program for measuring sub.

Exeon

Standard Member
Many Arendal (ported) owners here keep the sub fairly close to wall same as SVS PC2000 which is rear ported aswell. Another way i see them placed is sideways which would be great depth wise, but the cables would be seen so it`s a no go.

How far away the subwoofers driver (middle) would be from front wall at the right side wall? I mean the exact placement; distance from front wall to middle of subs driver?

Forget the room analyzer as you have free program REW and you just need to buy the Umik-1 (usb mic) i linked and have laptop. REW is most used program for measuring sub.

Yea I was originally planning the Ardenal sideways, which my wife didn't want, since their site mentioned a specific distance from the rear port to the wall I don't think it works out, as my wife wanted the backside as close to the wall as possible, the side firing driver would also point directly at the fireplace.

As far as the measurements go, it kinda depends on what monoprice means, the 15in says 70cm depth, I'm assuming at the end is the actual driver and this doesn't incluide the driver, or does this include how far the driver can come out/incluiding grill?
If 70cm is the box, then it would be 95cm away from the corner and about 70cm from both the top wall and right wall (this can change depending on the angle chosen, is is facing the driver directly to the left down corner of the room), as well as about 1m away from the fireplace.
This measurement considers wall to center point of the driver, and not to the edge of the driver.
The driver would be pretty close to the rightside tower speaker (about 30cm from the center)
However I can move the tower a bit, and the driver is technically more in front of the tower then behind it.
I'm not sure if it would affect the sound of the tower or the other way around, but I can also angle the tower more.

I see, I guess the microphone would be similar to this?

Pricing for the umik-1 and that is pretty much the same, my friend has the above model at his house, so I'm pretty sure I can borrow it for some measurements, and if not, that won't break my bank, but the miniDSP2x4HD does make an impact.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Umik-1 is most popular hands down, not much reason to buy anything else. However if your friend has that XTZ mic and you can borrow it that would be great!

@kenshingintoki has two of the V1 15" subs he knows the real world dimensions best.. Maybe he wakes up soon and replies. 😁

Send email ASAP for Monoprice EU and ask when will they get the V2 of 15" THX model (put the US link) and also ask when this model comes in stock will they lower the price of V1 then. Even if they don`t know it gives them "message" that customer is intrested..

Exeon

Standard Member
Umik-1 is most popular hands down, not much reason to buy anything else. However if your friend has that XTZ mic and you can borrow it that would be great!

@kenshingintoki has two of the V1 15" subs he knows the real world dimensions best.. Maybe he wakes up soon and replies. 😁

Send email ASAP for Monoprice EU and ask when will they get the V2 of 15" THX model (put the US link) and also ask when this model comes in stock will they lower the price of V1 then. Even if they don`t know it gives them "message" that customer is intrested..

I've added it to my original ticket for the warranty.
Got a reply this morning stating that the v2 edition will be coming to the EU around the end of February/ beginning of march.

So I figure it's a good idea to wait and either get the v2, or v1 if it's heavily discounted.

I do expect overall to increase once more due to heavy inflation, a lot of brands are in fact changing their pricing in March.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom