• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

1Tb noisy hard disks

Fulltopuk

Established Member
I am trying to work out why some 1Tb boxes are noisy compared to others.

Using HDDSCAN I have changed the acoustic management of my disk from off right the way to full (254). The standard is 128 but I am not really seeing much difference between any of them.

My questions are:-

Are all disks WD15EVDS models or are there diiferent suppliers and hence the reason why some are quieter than others

Can someone who reckons their disk is quiet and is willing to run HDDScan check the acoustic settings of their HDD?

Environment, box construction and viewing distance all have an impact on the perception of noise. Maybe people can comment on what factors exist to try and identify a common issue. Maybe it is just a simple matter of HDD acoustics which exist on some drives and not others.

Fulltopuk

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom