1st World Problem, too many Remotes!

Cocksure

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an annoying problem of too many Remotes when I sit down to watch TV now in the evening, av remote, tv remote, v6 remote, amazon fire remote and 4k player remote :rolleyes:

So I'm looking for 1 remote to rule (control) them all (there can be only one), I'm I right in thinking that the only real choice is the harmony remote? In which case what level do I need to be looking at? A automatic back light is a must though as I'm use to watching the tv in the dark.

Many thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Hi - Take a look at the Harmony page at Logitech UK under Smart Remotes.
HTH - Logi

I spent yesterday taking a look at the harmony website and in all honesty I'm no further forward then I was before :(.

It seems that any of the Remotes will control everything (bar amazon fire which needs a hub, which I can live without), but other than that the site fails to answer my questions.

I don't need macros, but I do need a remote where half the buttons will always control the same device (av receiver) and the other half control a different device depending on what it is switched to. Is that possible?

It's not as clear as it it might be, but the 665 will cover your requirements.

Many thanks :)

Do you know if it has a back light? I can't seem to find any mention of it on the website, but then the information is minimal that is given.

The site says it has "bright back lit buttons"!
It's a new one and should be good.

Dam, missed that! :blush: clearly time for a fresh eye test :(

Thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

You're very welcome - let us know how you get on.

I'm currently trying to decide if it is worth putting in an extra 26 quid to go for the Ultimate one as it seems to offer more features. Not sure i need them mind, but having never had a universal remote i'm wondering if i might want them at a later date, trouble is that leads to do you put in another 30 quid to add the hub at the same time for Amazon fire control :rotfl:

I would for the additional money, especially now you saved on HDMI cables ;) go for the one that does everything including the Fire. The Harmony Ultimate and hub was originally around £230 when it first came out and at £129 is more or less the same as the top of the range with the exception of a couple of lighting buttons.

The 665 has always been a lower model so not much saving really.

@ChuckMountain I'm beginning to wonder if you are what my mum would call a "bad influence" on me! ;):D

The 665 is new, and is fine for anyone who does not need control out of line of sight.

The 665 is new, and is fine for anyone who does not need control out of line of sight.

Sorry to be clear wasn't meaning the 665 wasn't new just that the Ultimate was a much more expensive remote at a much better price then when it was new. Its not that much different to the top of the range remote that is north of £200, so you get for example a much bigger LCD screen and the hub etc. which will work with the fire.

Going to go for the 665, it's a cheap enough price for me to not lose to much sleep if I do decide to upgrade later, whilst at the same time offering all the things that I do want a remote to do at this stage.

Amazon fire would be great, but I can't justify the extra just for that control especially when the remote for it is so well designed that the lack of a back light doesn't overly matter. Would rather put the money towards the new model that will shortly be coming out.

Fair enough.

I must admit I use a philips pronto at the moment. Imo one of the best remotes, if you configure it well. I have my own custom interface which is nice on a large LCD screen. Don't know what I will replace it with if it ever breaks, have replaced screen once and pick up spares of the bay. A new one went for 50 which isn't bad for what was a £800 remote.

I do use activities and macros, but it depends on your kit I can have for our five separate commands to switch on all the equipment. Having a watch tv button configured on any of these remotes is easy to do

Going to go for the 665, it's a cheap enough price for me to not lose to much sleep if I do decide to upgrade later, whilst at the same time offering all the things that I do want a remote to do at this stage.

Amazon fire would be great, but I can't justify the extra just for that control especially when the remote for it is so well designed that the lack of a back light doesn't overly matter. Would rather put the money towards the new model that will shortly be coming out.

The Fire TV supports HDMI CEC control anyway, so it should be possible to control with the TV remote, or a Harmony using the TV device.

I have had a few Harmony remotes, currently the Ultimate One, and could not live without it.

I genuinely have put away all the other remotes. The only device mine doesn't control is the PS4, as I don't have the Bluetooth hub, but I don't use PS4 for media anyway, so no need for full control. Everything is just one click to switch all devices to the correct inputs and settings.

In some ways the 665 is probably better than the Ultimate. The Ultimate's touch screen took some getting used to and I still find it a bit too sensitive, but the physical buttons work well and it feels good in the hand. My older 525 model had more physical buttons and was easier to use overall. If I hadn't got the Ultimate for a cheap sale price, I think I would have got an equivalent to the 665.

Last edited:
Interesting to see a favourable reference to the very early 525 - I agree!

Interesting to see a favourable reference to the very early 525 - I agree!
still using my 2nd 525 and although ive been tempted by all the new gubbins - it just works so i`ll keep it as long as i can

I am back to many remotes again,after my Harmony 1000 just stopped working,picked up an MX3000,but not got round to setting it up yet.
To be honest never had much luck with universal remotes,they all seem to fail after a while,so end up back with the manufacturer remotes.

:)

Thankfully I'm not after anything fancy at this stage, just select the unit and point and press. For me the 665 is ideal :)

I might in time move on to macros, who knows, but not at the moment, so my requirements are pretty low at present. Anything else it can do is just a bonus and anything it can't is no loss

All Harmonys do "macros" if you mean send a number of commands at one button press.

Going as far back as a 1000!

See told you i was very new at this :rotfl:

It what ultimately decide it, an Ultimate etc would just be so wasted on me at this stage :)

There is no point in an Ultimate if you don't need control of out of sight devices.

Yep its an interesting one between trade off between functionality on remotes and how many buttons etc.

You can go the whole hog and get an iPad or equivalent Android and some of the software to customise the display as much as you want. However I don't personally don't like this as you end up having to have a dedicated device (otherwise you have to find it), there are no hard buttons, so you have to unlock screen and then say press the volume up\mute button etc.

At the opposite end of the spectrum you have all the buttons one. You generally find you don't need all the buttons and so this can be cluttered.

By having a mix a configurable LCD screen with hard buttons for the main points. I.e. volume, channel, menu and maybe transport this gives best of both worlds in usually a compact offering.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom