1st universal remote - harmony?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by en6jwrs2, Mar 8, 2006.

1. en6jwrs2

en6jwrs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

Please forgive me if I have posted incorrectly (this is my first)

I was hoping to get some advice. I have searched the forum but not really found the answers I was looking for.

I have recently "completed" my home cinema and decided that a single remote would really help. Having read the numerous reviews etc it seems that the Harmony is the one to go for (and the most affordable). However the reviews and comments seem to focus on the 885 or the 525. No real mention of the other models displayed on the website (688, 680 etc). My question is what are the differences between the 885 and the 525? Is it purely the colour LCD screen or are there other factors to consider? (There is quite a difference in price).

And what of the other models in the range? (668, 680)

The equipment I need to control is:
    Pioneer 436XDE
    Arcam AVR300
    Sony HX900
    Sky +
    and ideally
    NAD CD player
    Sony MD
    Pure DAB

Any help or advice would be greatly apprecaited. I do not need the ability to send IR through cabinets as I already have a transmitted / reciever.

Thanks in advance and aplogies if I have duplicated similar threads - I did search!

2. paulj1

paulj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Harmony 675 and am very pleased with it. Cost me 50 quid from the Logitech website which seems to be the best deal. Does everything I need for 5 devices including AV Receiver, and it could cope with all your devices - check testdrive on Logitech website to make sure. Family find it easy to use. You have to press the customisable buttons are a bit hard, but that's the only fault I've found. I had it up and working within minutes using the online setup and download, and it's easy to modify activities and key delays etc online before downloading them. Great value for the price.

Cheers,

Paul

3. en6jwrs2

en6jwrs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your advice. I have one other question:

There seems to be no shortage of recommendation of these remotes based upon their ability to be set-up to complete activites (eg. watch sky, watch DVD etc). However, how easy are they to use when completing the day to day activities of a remote?

For example to change the sky channel and turn the amp volume up: would that require a button press to tell the remote to control the sky box (then further presses to change / select the channel) followed by another button press to switch to the amp followed by a volume change?

Sorry if this question seems daft - I just want to understand the complete picture before I take the plunge.

Thanks again

4. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    When you set up an Activity you say which pieces of equipment will do what so taking watching Sky you would define the Sky box as the source, your plasma as the display and perhaps your AV amp for sound. When that activity is selected the Harmony will have channel buttons sending Sky IR commands, the volume controls will be set for the amp etc. You can tailor this exactly as you want but the automatic settings are pretty good.

The trick is to set up an activity for each type of use , so I havea Morning TV Activity that does not use the full AV set up but routes sound through the plasma.

The huge advantage is family members do not need to worry about which bit is doing what that is all taken care of automatically BUT they must only use the Harmony mix remotes or use the buttons on the equipment and the Harmony cannot know what is on and what is off. Do try the test drive on the web site which does give a reasonable idea of what is going on.

Regards
    Chris

5. en6jwrs2

en6jwrs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Chris,

Sorry for the barrage of questions - it sounds like these things are more intelligent than me!!!

Am I correct in saying that, after setup, the remote will know to send a signal direct to the amp if you press vol + or vol - and will know to send a signal direct to the sky box if i select ch+ or ch- without me having to press a source select button in between each step?

Thanks again for your help - it is appreciated.

6. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    No problem and the answer is YES

7. en6jwrs2

en6jwrs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: