Also got a Meridian 502 pre
Meridian 5500 active speakers
Meridian 206 cd transport
Meridian 203x2 DAC
Sony CDP557ES CD Player
Teac VRDS-T1 transport
Linn LP12 Ittok lv2 arm Linn troika MC cartridge
Focal 948

I also just picked up a pair of BW803D2 was looking at the 802d but got a great deal on the 803’s and are looking at amplifying at a latter day with some Mcintosh equipment my question is I run my LP12 with a m/c cartridge through the Quad44 m/c card input so if t were to purchase a phono stage do I still plug the phono out put into the m/c input on my 44 or do I put it into a aux input,I’m just worried that the increased quality output of the signal from the phono stage is going to be downgraded to the standard m/c input card on the 44’s quality
I’m new to phono staging so any and all advice is greatly appreciated

Turntable into separate phono stage and then into the AUX, CD, Tuner input in the 44. The phono stage does the amplification and RIAA conversion and outputs a line level signal typically 0.5-2V. The separate phono stage is basically like putting the 44 MC input card in a box with its own power supply. Just make sure you get a phono stage with an MC input, some will provide variable output amplification and also resistance/capacitance controls so you can tune it to some extent e.g. Project Phono Box DS/DS+.

Thanks that explained it at level I fully understand I’ve already got 3 cd/aux input modules on my 44. One is my CDP557ES/Dac the second is my Meridian 206/203 trans/dac and the other is my DAT playing so i will remove the mc module and try to source another cd/aux module-looks like I’m off to eBay I don’t think Quad no longer stock them or maybe find a competent electrical engineer who could make one from scratch there’s only a handful of components on it,thanks for the advice

Turntable into separate phono stage and then into the AUX, CD, Tuner input in the 44. The phono stage does the amplification and RIAA conversion and outputs a line level signal typically 0.5-2V. The separate phono stage is basically like putting the 44 MC input card in a box with its own power supply. Just make sure you get a phono stage with an MC input, some will provide variable output amplification and also resistance/capacitance controls so you can tune it to some extent e.g. Project Phono Box DS/DS+.
Yeah the 44 came with a mm module which I swapped out for a mc version can you recommend a phone stage with a budget of 2k max might push to 2.2k if worth it do Linn make one as it would be hopefully a better match for my LP12?

That’s a healthy budget, not sure I can help as I have mainly experience at the lower end. I guess you need to decide if you want a valve based one or a solid state and then it probably worth trying to see if there are any stockists that can demo. Graham Slee is often recommended along with the Trichord Dino and also Lehmann. More mainstream is the Rega Aria and the many Project phono boxes.

Linn do the Linto MC stage which go for around £600-700 second hand, or the Auriga at £1200-1300 second hand, no idea what they are like, there may be reviews out there if you search.

Not sure if that helps but gives you something to search.

That’s a healthy budget, not sure I can help as I have mainly experience at the lower end. I guess you need to decide if you want a valve based one or a solid state and then it probably worth trying to see if there are any stockists that can demo. Graham Slee is often recommended along with the Trichord Dino and also Lehmann. More mainstream is the Rega Aria and the many Project phono boxes.

Linn do the Linto MC stage which go for around £600-700 second hand, or the Auriga at £1200-1300 second hand, no idea what they are like, there may be reviews out there if you search.

Yeah it helps a lot gives me food for thought but I need to find somewhere close to demo as for a valve unit aren’t they best matched with a complete valve setup where as my amplification is going to be solid state,I was thinking of getting into valve’s but I wouldn’t know where to start I do know the same unit with just different valves can sound very different,also Shane said that the BW diamonds really come to life with Mcintosh and those I can demo with my speakers and they stock LP12’s I’ve got loads of googling to do and demos to arrange.

Last edited:
Yeah it helps a lot gives me food for thought Shane from AV.com recommended the Teac UD 701 but I need to find somewhere close to demo as for a valve unit aren’t they best matched with a complete valve setup where as my amplification is going to be solid state,I was thinking of getting into valve’s but I wouldn’t know where to start I do know the same unit with just different valves can sound very different,also Shane said that the BW diamonds really come to life with Mcintosh and those I can demo with my speakers and they stock LP12’s I’ve got loads of googling to do and demos to arrange.
Gold Note PH-10 phono stage. Amazing bit of kit.

Cannot find anything on the Auriga did you mean the Linn Urika?

...a valve unit aren’t they best matched with a complete valve setup where as my amplification is going to be solid state...
Not sure it's any help, and nothing to do with phono stages... but in the past I've used a valve pre-amp with MOSFET power amp, and the combination sounded pretty good to me. And some companies make power amps with a valve input stage and solid state output, and they're popular. I don't buy the idea that you must go all-valve, not with so many people out there enjoying all sorts of combinations.

Not sure it's any help, and nothing to do with phono stages... but in the past I've used a valve pre-amp with MOSFET power amp, and the combination sounded pretty good to me. And some companies make power amps with a valve input stage and solid state output, and they're popular. I don't buy the idea that you must go all-valve, not with so many people out there enjoying all sorts of combinations.
I'm using a rolled Project Tube Box S2 with a Yamaha A-S1100 and it sounds pretty good.

I messed about with different tubes because the stock tubes sounded a bit middle heavy compared to the built-in phono stage of the amp (which isn't particularly good anyway) and settled on Genalex Gold Lions.

@Anubis1 I would like to recommend our iPhono 3 Black Label. It's a compact phono stage, but despite its looks, it's full of useful features. It will allow you to tune the loading of the cartridge perfectly, and also you can select one of the most popular correction curves.

iPhone-3-BL-iPower-X-768x512.jpg

Yeah I know Mcintosh do a monoblock using valves fii for the midrange and tweeters with solid state for low end might be worth a loo,I’ve heard a few and the one that really stood out and made me think that sounds really good was the Dan Agostino Triton100 but I can seem to find the Triton 50,I don’t mind experimenting it’s all part of the fun👍

@Anubis1 I would like to recommend our iPhono 3 Black Label. It's a compact phono stage, but despite its looks, it's full of useful features. It will allow you to tune the loading of the cartridge perfectly, and also you can select one of the most popular correction curves.

iPhone-3-BL-iPower-X-768x512.jpg
I just bought a used one. I'm excited to try it out and compare with my DIY Valve Stage and the internal stage of the Lyngdorf 1120.

All the research and reviews i read are positive so I'm expecting great things ;)

Yeah the 44 came with a mm module which I swapped out for a mc version can you recommend a phone stage with a budget of 2k max might push to 2.2k if worth it do Linn make one as it would be hopefully a better match for my LP12?
Have a look at Classic Audio MC PRO. See if you can get one to audition. Well below your budget but performs as well as many costing 4 figures. You may well be surprised and left with enough to expand your vinyl collection or U.S. record cleaner

I just bought a used one. I'm excited to try it out and compare with my DIY Valve Stage and the internal stage of the Lyngdorf 1120.

All the research and reviews i read are positive so I'm expecting great things ;)
I'm sure you will be happy with it. Please, let us know what do you think :)

I'm sure you will be happy with it. Please, let us know what do you think :)
I definitely will. I’m excited to try it, not read a bad thing about it as yet.

The iFi iPhone3 arrived yesterday and I’ve put about 10 hours on it since.

First impression on the stage are hugely positive. Supremely neutral without being at all analytical or thin sounding the bass is taunt and fast, instrument separation is great and the top end is also a joy. I’m useless at describing sound (you probably worked that out already) but I can say this has elevated my TT set up to the next level and the AT OC9XML has never sounded so good.

I’ve been using a DIY valve stage with valve PSU and it’s lovely bit of kit but I prefer the iPhono3… although the soundstage on the valve is probably better and it will be nice to swap between the two for a different flavour from time to time.

Worth every penny…..

Last edited:
The iFi iPhone3 arrived yesterday and I’ve put about 10 hours on it since.

First impression on the stage are hugely positive. Supremely neutral without being at all analytical or thin sounding the bass is taunt and fast, instrument separation is great and the top end is also a joy. I’m useless at describing sound (you probably worked that out already) but I can say this has elevated my TT set up to the next level and the AT OC9XML has never sounded so good.

I’ve been using a DIY valve stage with valve PSU and it’s lovely bit of kit but I prefer the iPhono3… although the soundstage on the valve is probably better and it will be nice to swap between the two for a different flavour from time to time.

Worth every penny…..

I am happy to hear that!! What settings did you use for your cartidge?

I am happy to hear that!! What settings did you use for your cartidge?
I just used what the calculator on your website told me to based on the output & impedance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom