1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st time buyer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by chino05, Jun 23, 2005.

1. chino05

chino05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey hey.
    im planning on buying my 1st all in one and was thinking of the Panasonic sc-ht520.
    I am a HUGE music fan and crave for decent music quality - but apparently ive heard that this system wont play music through ALL the 5 speakers [and only the front 2] as it doesnt hav a decoder of some sort??????
    If this is true what should i look out for so that it will play through all the speakers [ive heard its like a 5.1 or something.... :rolleyes: ]

Confused!

Thanx

2. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello chino

the 5.1 you refer to relates to digital surround that is predominantly built into movies, this is where you get the sound from a number of speakers, i.e. centre, front and rears together with a subwoofer. Music cd's, you will find are in stereo and as such tend to only come out of two channels which are the two front speakers, however your amp should have a function that will ' mimic' a surround sound for you and will put the music out of all of the speakers although not a true surround sound.

3. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does play music through all the speakers, in various 'fake' surround modes. It is also compatible with DVD-Audio discs.

It was the best value for money I could find when I bought mine last year (at £165), however I would consider the following.

• No PAL progressive on the DVD player
    • It's not Multi-Region in standard form (although it can be modded at extra cost)
    • It's not very loud. Don't get me wrong - its plenty loud enough for me and the sound quality through the volume range is awesome. It just doesn't make the whole room reverberate like a higher powered system might.
    • It lacks an optical digital input, so can't process 5.1 signals from any external sources, just its own DVD player. Bad if you want to link it to a games console or PC and have 5.1 sound.
    At the price point though - it is probably unbeatable (currently £140 from Richer sounds with Multi Region support!)

Lastly - it may not be important but bugs the hell out of me - the speakers are wall mountable, but the "foot" at the base of each speaker doesn't detach from it, so they don't look right wall mounted IMO.

4. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    echo3, i agree that the 'feet' on the speakers are irritating, i looked a the panasonic a couple of months ago, both the sch520 and the model above which both had fabulous reviews for sound quality particularly through CD's but those plastic feet put me off. ended up going for a jvc Qpes which has a separate amp and speakers. the scht520 is good value though

5. chino05

chino05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys! That should be fine, if not i'll look into the sc-ht530 although its just a little bit out of reach!
    Much appreciated!

6. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0