• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

1st Puppy, dog food recommendations please

Rich Marshall

Prominent Member
Hi all, my pup is now 6mths old and ready to move on from puppy to regular food.

He's a Spoodle (Springer Spaniel/Poodle) and I've been giving him Iams puppy so far.
Totally confused by the massive choice available so I'm looking for a bit of help.

What food do you recommend?
And just as importantly - what have you tried and do not recommend?
Dry food, SWMBO has a problem with the sloppy stuff :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

Rich

Sparky83

Established Member
Might help people if you give us a picture of your little fella :)

(your dog I mean)

Although it might make no difference at all, I just want to see a springer poodle.

nonumb

Prominent Member
I use wainwrights which is basically a clone of James wellbeloved. 37 quid for 15kg and lasts me around a month. Seems good and the dog is growing well. Don't most puppy foods say to keep on for a year? Mine says 18 months but it is large breed.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
James Wellbeloved or Wainwrights, WainWrights do wet food tubs, and smaller "tester" ones, so you can see if your dog likes it or not.

nonumb

Prominent Member
RottenFox said:
James Wellbeloved or Wainwrights, WainWrights do wet food tubs, and smaller "tester" ones, so you can see if your dog likes it or not.

Also comes with a money back guarantee according to the person who sold it too me at first. No need to buy a tester. Have to agree on dry dog food I can't stand the smell of the wet stuff.

dvdphile

Prominent Member
We've got a labrador and she's been on Eukanuba, James wellbeloved, Royal canin, and Pero. I'd say Royal Canin is the best but also very expensive. Pero is similar but much cheaper. She seems to like James wellbeloved too but I've not tried Wainwrights yet.

Avoid the cheapo stuff like Baxters!! You've only to compare ingredients to see why it's cheap!
When mine is being fussy we just sprinkle some cheese on and she eats the lot!! ;-)

Rich Marshall

Prominent Member
I use wainwrights which is basically a clone of James wellbeloved. 37 quid for 15kg and lasts me around a month. Seems good and the dog is growing well. Don't most puppy foods say to keep on for a year? Mine says 18 months but it is large breed.

Yeah, the Iams says 12 months but he's bored of it, tried him with a some cheapo Wagg which he devoured in seconds - it came out at a similar pace :( so just want to switch varieties.

We've got a labrador and she's been on Eukanuba, James wellbeloved, Royal canin, and Pero. I'd say Royal Canin is the best but also very expensive. Pero is similar but much cheaper. She seems to like James wellbeloved too but I've not tried Wainwrights yet.

Avoid the cheapo stuff like Baxters!! You've only to compare ingredients to see why it's cheap!
When mine is being fussy we just sprinkle some cheese on and she eats the lot!! ;-)

He's not a big dog - springer size at the moment so cost isn't an issue, there's a great petfood place which sells the sacks for 30% less than high street stores nearby anyway. I'll try some small bags of the above you mentioned, thanks....with cheese :laugh:

wbabbington

Prominent Member
We use Burns for our 2 Shih Tzus. They do wet and dry food and ours wolf down both sorts. It's similar to Wellbeloved in that it's all natural stuff, thats hypo allergenic (think thats the right term!) and created by a vet.

rousetafarian

Don't flame me for this but my vet who assisted when my Westie was diagnosed with Canine IBS recommended Chappie of all things.

Compared to the other supermarket brands it was far better for IBS. Before his condition his was happily fed on Eukanuba and James Wellbeloved.

PS He is a little belter, very cute!

NewfieDrool

Banned
My old Newfie has gone through just about every dry food out there in the 8 years he's been with me. Never had such a fussy eater however I give him raw chicken, beef, lamb, salmon, tuna and prawns and some greens too along with whatever dry food I have at the time.

gibbsy

We feed our Cocker on Royal Canine. They have a good selection of puppy foods and many are breed specific, I'd go with the Springer food as that is by far the more active of the cross.

Dog food is big business now. When my wife was working for various companies we fed our dogs on whatever firm she was currently working for. Never did them any harm and they seemed to enjoy the change. The only food they really turned their noses up to was Hills Science Diet. Our Cocker, Irish Setters and Field Spaniel ate the same.

Do not give your dog cooked bones. Raw chicken wing tips are fine as is raw neck and breast of lamb which are brilliant for giving body condition.

I love the names they give to crosses nowadays.
Cocker Spaniel/Irish Setter....Cockinirish
Bichon Frise/Cocker Spaniel....Freezingcock

rousetafarian

When my Jack was struggling with his IBS we made batches of yams (Sweet Potatoes) and minced turkey breast which he loved. I would strongly recommend avoiding the rubbish on the shelves in supermarkets and either make your own and keep it in the fridge or by James Wellbeloved or similar

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Pets at Home do large 5kg(I'm sure that's the weight), of minced frozen chicken and beef, along with fish and tripe blocks, works out pretty well, around £3.50, and is light enough to be served with an egg(If your dog's into them), or a little amount of dried food either as a normal meal, or an "after illness" meal, like after or during diarrhea, or other bugs.
Easy on the old tum..

We've tried loads, but settled on what our Husky loves, and we finally found a winner in, the frozen Chicken, with equal James, an egg cracked in, or scrambled, and some chopped carrot.

simon ess

Prominent Member
Please don't flame me for this, it's a genuine question. I would love a dog at some point but have never had one, although a lot of friends have.

Whatever happened to good old stuff like tripe and butcher's scraps?

Some of the healthiest, happiest dogs I've ever known have been fed on that sort of stuff, together with proprietry dog biscuits.

Have the dog food marketing people succeeded?

bigtruck

Distinguished Member
Home cooked yams and turkey mince hardly falls into the marketing trap my friend

I didn't say it did:)
The question was, "Have the dog food marketing people succeeded?"

My answer to that was yes & my "look above" comment was to my post in relation to the earlier part of Simon's post as it appeared he had missed my post. I was certainly not calling out other the dietary choices of other posters:smashin:

Edit - although I agree with your suggestion to avoid the shelves & make your own. What that consists of is another debate ;-)

Last edited:

rousetafarian

I didn't say it did:)
The question was, "Have the dog food marketing people succeeded?"

My answer to that was yes & my "look above" comment was to my post in relation to the earlier part of Simon's post as it appeared he had missed my post. I was certainly not calling out other the dietary choices of other posters:smashin:

Edit - although I agree with your suggestion to avoid the shelves & make your own. What that consists of is another debate ;-)

My error, I jumped to conclusions (as usual :facepalm:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom