1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Artois guy, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Artois guy

Artois guy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My first post here .. looks like a great site ..

I am looking to move to a projector in my converted garage.

At the moment I have a Pioneer XV DV55 DVD system which goes into a Panasonic 32 inch 100htz widescreen TV

I am interested in the BenQ PB6100 The review here reads well for what I am after...

Review

I am looking to play DVD's and TV no games ..

This machine seems to have no progressive scan .. will this make a load of difference? I don't think my current player has it either...

If I keep my existing DVD player I would link up using S Video .. would this be a bad idea ?

If I upgrade my DVD player I was going to go for a Sony DAV SC5

I was hoping not to spend more than £1,000 on a projector .. should there be others I may wish to consider? I had looked at the Toshiba MT 100 but the BenQ 6100 seems to have more Lumens and a higher contrast ratio

Any views would be really appreciated .. many thanks

Harvey

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Harvey,
    Welcome to the forums. I hope you find them useful and informative.
    I would recommend you go to a reputable dealer and see some projectors and find out if colour separation (rainbows) is an issue for you.
    If it's not then DLP units will give you higher contrast than LCD projectors, much less screen door effect and better blacks.
    The Optoma H30 is worth a look.

Regards

Jeff :rtfm:

3. Artois guy

Artois guy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apparantly this model uses 3x speed colour wheel which reduces if not eliminates rainbow effect .. so they say ...

I have just been given a link to projector central and a number of my questions are answered in my review ...

The optoma seems a good unit .. only thing I notice is it is 800 lumens as opposed to 1500 for the BenQ

One of the reviews is saying that he could not see any noticable difference between S Video and component input ...?

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The H30 uses a 4speed six segment wheel.
    800 Lumens is normally enough if you don't go too big on the screen size and you have light control.

Jeff :rtfm:

5. Artois guy

Artois guy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have dimmers in the room and it can be blacked out completely. I will only be projecting about 8 feet and I am not sure how big yet?

ps .. thanks for all your thoughts so far .. appreciated ...

6. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi,

Couple of points

If you can achieve complete black out then 1500 lumens is very bright for film viewing, 800 would be plenty bright enough

S video would be OK for starters, but component or HDMI would be much better.

Other things to consider though

How big do you want the screen? or projector to screen distance, very few projectors will produce the same size image from the same distance from screen ( I made this mistake) take your time and plan every detail.

How will the projector be mounted, ceiling, wall? Projectors like the Z2 give you optical adjustment for the projector been off centre.

Best advice though would be go see a dealer see some projectors running.

I'm sure there are members on the forum who'd give you a tour of there setup.

7. Artois guy

Artois guy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that ...

I was going to ceiling mount ... upside down I believe for this model ..

My room is an old single garage converted .. so space is a wee bit limited .. I want to get rid of the TV and get everything up off the floor onto shelves etc .. hence the projector .. have a look at my home page and you will see what I mean. its a nice flat end wall to project onto ( I will get a screen) and I will project from just in front of the RSJ beam which goes across the room and is level with the surround speaker that you can see to the right of the picture. It is 9 feet distance from projector to screen ... what size screen would you advise?

Thanks

H

8. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Mounting from the ceiling should be fine LMP do some fantastic mountings though you could create your own if your any good at DIY! :D

Try Projector Central,

they have a calculator for most projectors, you use the sliders to calculate the size of screen for your given distance

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

:)

9. Artois guy

Artois guy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks .. that is really useful ..

looks like a 53" horizontal, 43" wide and 32" high screen ... have measured it in the room and it would be spot on ... I presume that screens ar standard sizes and that you buy one nearest to that... I could move the projector further back or forward as well if needed ...

10. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you are just projecting on to a wall, why not have a home made screen, just use a piece of MDF painted matt white cut and masked to your exact size.

Search the forum I remember a thread sometime ago about DIY screens

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092