1st projector purchase - advice please

The Cat

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm about to buy my first projector and was hoping for some advice on one I've found online.

It's the Optoma UHD38 for £1,000

Hoping to use both in the lounge and in the garden in the summer months. Mainly at night for movies but also some daytime outside if possible???

Hoping to buy now as planning on setting it up in the garden to catch the football (under a gazebo) bbq and drinks etc. The 38 version I'm looking at shows a spec of 4,000 lumens, but having never owned a projector I'm not sure if it will be usable during the day (even under a gazebo).

I will be buying a projector at some point but if a projector is really no good outside in daylight I'd rather wait a few months.

So...

1. Is the Optoma UHD38 any good outdoors in daylight?
2. If not are there any better options?
3. Is the UHD38 a good all round buy at my budget (circa £1,000)
4. How important is the screen? Have seen a few motorised ones on amazon reasonably priced.

I'm not fully switched on with the technical side of it. From what I understand it's missing some horizontal adjustments (possibly vertical to) compared with one of the other Optoma UHD models (think the 42 or 30). Not sure how important that is. With a higher lumen count over the 30, 42 and 35 I'm leaning towards the 38. I understand it can also "mimick" 4k (not that I fully understand that) and that it has a good contrast ratio (although I've seen some cheaper 1080p projectors with much higher contrast ratios than some 4k ones so again not sure I fully understand that). If there's anything else this projector might be missing that I don't realise please let me know!

Thanks

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom