1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Post - Philips 17PF9945 Opinions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Parf7, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Parf7

Parf7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to Plasmas and know nothing so please excuse the questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated..,

1) Thinking of a Philips 17PF9945 for the bedroom. Any comments/opinions welcome

2) If I intend to connect Sky to my Plasma do I need a TV tuner?

3) What is a TV tuner? (In relation to Plasma, how does it work?, will the Philips have one built in?)

4) Responce time, what is exceptable?

Thanks

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You must be new to palsmas because the 17PF9945 is an LCD TV! So opinions on the LCD TV

1. Cute little screen, LCD standard has definitely risen recently and this is another example of that!

2. Not sure that the Philips LCD has a non-tuner version. In terms of plasmas, the tuner is just that - a tuner. For many models this is interpreted as being a box or panel with a bunch of scart sockets on - many plasmas have the equivalent input without the need for expensive tuner options. The Panasonic plasma even has an optional scart input board! So, in short - no you don't need a tuner.

3. A tuner decodes rf signals from an aerial. All the other "media box" functions (scart, teletext, nice menu, sleep timer etc) are included as the tuner is effectively turning the monitor into a television. It is these functions that people are looking for when they talk about needing a tuner to plug in devices.

4. At the moment around 16ms is a popular figure to look for, however some manufacturers are quoting their best figures rather than their average figures. My adivce is get together a shortlist, demo them, buy the one that looks the best. Don't think about stats and things otherwise you'll end up like the guys in the resolution thread :zonked:

3. Parf7

Parf7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam

Thanks for the info and help, my next question is..,

What the difference between a Plasma & an LCD Tv?

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Different tech used to produce a flat, thin screen.:lesson: