Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

1st post, 1st amp purchase, please help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by vfr400, Nov 1, 2005.

1. vfr400

vfr400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys.

I am new to these boards as well as new to the world of home cinema seperates.

The 2 amps I have narrowed down are: Denon AVR1906 (£280) or Yamaha DSPAX757 (£400).

I am planning on also purchasing the following speakers:

Mordaunt-Short MS914 Floor standing (£250)
    Mordaunt-Short MS902 Rear (£120)
    Mordaunt-Short MS905 Center (£95)

I am purchasing all of these through Richer Sounds as long as their price match will match the prices listed above.

Now. Is this a good setup for my first? Are the speakers a good choice or are there anything better out there for the same money?

Which of the above amps should I go for? Is the Yamaha worth the extra money?

This setup will be used for gaming, dvd's 95% of the time, the other 5% for music.

And of course if anyone knows where I can get any of the above for cheaper that have them in stock please let me know. (in the black colour)

I look forward to reading your replies.

I am all excited because I will hopefully pick all of these up tomorrow.

2. karlak

karlak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Any Subwoofer in the plans ?

3. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you heard these speakers? Do not narrow your options to one speaker and then go to the shop, hear them out and in case they sound ok, buy them. You need to hear several different speakers, then go home sleep on it and see which one you liked most. Don't decide over the internet.

4. vfr400

vfr400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have heard these speakers and from the very little knowledge I have think they sound wicked.

I would love to be able to listen to all the speakers on offer but this just isn't possible.

Karlak can you recommended me a sub for thsi setup?, would it make a large difference?

Is this setup ok?

5. karlak

karlak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573

:rotfl: Don't ask me mate - I am in the same boat as you - new to all this. I have ordered my new LCD TV and am now working out the sounds. I was think of the Kef Q series, yamaha 757 amp, and then possibly the REL quake Subwoofer.

I am by no means an expert, but from what I have read, a good/bad SUB can make or break the system.

Cheers

6. Akcron

Akcron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi my friend has got nearly the same speaker set up with the adittion of rel sub...whilst you are at Richer Sounds listen if you can to the CA 540r, thats what my friend uses and it sounds really good with film and music, he paid 250 for it might be worth a listen..Akky :thumbsup:

7. goldeneye243

goldeneye243

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello,

I am in the process of upgrading my speakers at the moment. I am going for Monitor audio S6 (£299 from richersounds in ireland from Ebay) and a MA slcr centre also from Richersounds.ie for £100. These are particularly good prices as there was a replacement range out a little while ago.

Might be worth considering them.

I am also intending to get a BK XLS200-DF sub in the fairly near future to go with it.

8. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes please also investigate and audition that mentioned Cambridge 540r, the rave about that av amp is not for noting. From my own experience and personal taste I preferred it to the Denon. It also comes in black if i have it right.

9. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with two of the posts that you should listen to the CA540R.

I have this receiver matched to MS908, 905, 903 and 309W sub and it sounds GOOD!

10. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude (vfr400),

If your amp dilemma had been between two amps in the £280 price bracket - then the CA540R would indeed be an obvious port of call.

However - by chucking a £500 (RRP) amp into the equation - it shifts (IMO) the advice to, "The Yammy, by a long shot". Even the Denon you're in two minds over - is from the wrong price bracket to be comparing to the Yamaha. The £400 amp you're thinking about is obviously better that the £280 Denon, as long as that is fixed as your choice-set. Not going by price alone here, of course - but it's from a class above - and so the comparison doesn't figure.

So - if you can indeed afford to jump into the £400 price bracket - then do!! I would proffer that your speakers would need at least something of the likes of the Yamaha, to do them justice.

And if you are in the £400 price bracket - I'd say that the Yamaha rocks (just read the reviews) - but to be unbiased about it - the equivalent Denon (one up from the 1906 - 2906?) - will indeed give it a run for its money - and must be a wicked amp too - given what you hear, again in the reviews, and here. Yamahas seem not to be too fashonable for some reason. I just like having £1000's-worth of amp technology and performance for £400. (And anyway Yamaha invented home cinema amplification!)

A subwoofer is absolutely critical for your system to perform nicely - and I'd go as far as saying that that's just a fact - the only exception being when your main front speakers are like FO massive, and expensive!

So - that's my couple of quids'-worth - have fun!!

11. Chickster

Chickster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Yamaha is £383 from Homecinematv and therefore £373 from Richer sounds with their price promise. Really good price.

12. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    An MS309W sub would do very nicely with this setup. Performs very well when compared to the MS909W, unless your room is pretty large.
    Sorry, not sure on the amp, will leave that to others in the thread, but in case you were looking at a sub I thought I'd give an opinion. ;)
    Good luck.
    P.S.
    Nice setup for the money, I'd say hard to beat. Horses for courses of course, but IMHO the MS 9 series sound great.

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have to agree with Will about the 309. I have heard the 909 and the 309 in my 4*3m room and you could hardly tell any difference because the 909 couldnt be let loose.

If your not bothered about all the speakers being the same Maker or style then I would recommend the XLS200 over the 309. It more expensive and now packs a bigger amp with a smaller enclosure then the 309.

14. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Another thing to consider (maybe) are 903's as rears, these are the bi-polar ones rather than the bookshelf speakers.