1st pic ever on canon eos 400d

P

paulsteph38

:rotfl: 1st picture on me new christmas camera canon eos 400d thanks alot to tontoshorse for putting me in the right direction of resizeing my pictures spot on, never used a proper camera before it probably shows though any pointers would be good IMG_0275 best.jpg

:rotfl: 1st picture on me new christmas camera canon eos 400d thanks alot to tontoshorse for putting me in the right direction of resizeing my pictures spot on, never used a proper camera before it probably shows though any pointers would be goodView attachment 44243

Your resize is good, but I would up the file size to 120kb (max allowed on here), which will give a better pic.

A good start, keep posting. :D

It's a lot better than my first dSLR photo was! It was a blurry mess! :D

The lady's hand and glass are nice and sharp. I think a higher aperture value would have brought her face more into focus too, although the shutter speed would have decreased so you would have to maybe increase the ISO to compensate.

You were using flash - was it on auto mode? Try setting it to manual mode, ISO100 and the shutter speed to 1/250 and the aperture to f/8. Then press the pop up flash button to activate the flash - and off you go!

I alway find auto mode stuffs up photos taken with the built-in flash. But Manual mode, ISO100, 1/250s and f/8 are usually pretty damn spot on.

You were using flash - was it on auto mode? Try setting it to manual mode, ISO100 and the shutter speed to 1/250 and the aperture to f/8. Then press the pop up flash button to activate the flash - and off you go!

I alway find auto mode stuffs up photos taken with the built-in flash. But Manual mode, ISO100, 1/250s and f/8 are usually pretty damn spot on.

I find indoor flash photographer difficult as it is difficult know what effect the flash will have on the exposure as the exposure meter reading seen through the viewfinder does not change if the flash is on or off in the creative modes on the 350d. As the camera is therefore setting an exposure based on the flash being off how do you know what settings to use to allow for the flash ?

On the Canon EOS systems Manual mode meters for the subject, whereas Tv and Av mode meters for the background.
There's a good article here
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Thanks for that onefivenine, I'll need to have a good read of this. After a quick read it seems as though M is the best mode to use. I was using AV Mode but as it was quite dark I was having to use F4 and ISO800 and still getting slow shutter speeds, but when using the flash the shutter speeds were much faster but I don't know what speed they were as the exif shows the speed from the original non-flash exposure. What I mean is that if I use a flash I can increase the shutter speed but how do I know what to choose - what effect does the flash have on the exposure ?. If for example my non flas exposure shows f4-1/20-iso800 can I adjust that to say f4-1/60 or 1/90 - how do I know how much. I am probably being really thick here but this is probably the reason I don't use the camera much indoors

TI was using AV Mode but as it was quite dark I was having to use F4 and ISO800 and still getting slow shutter speeds, but when using the flash the shutter speeds were much faster but I don't know what speed they were as the exif shows the speed from the original non-flash exposure. What I mean is that if I use a flash I can increase the shutter speed but how do I know what to choose - what effect does the flash have on the exposure ?. If for example my non flas exposure shows f4-1/20-iso800 can I adjust that to say f4-1/60 or 1/90 - how do I know how much. I am probably being really thick here but this is probably the reason I don't use the camera much indoors

You're not being thick! Flash photography is at least twice as complicated as normal photogrphy because it is effectively two exposures in the same shot. I'm still learning about it myself!

In Av mode the flash will be metered for the ambient background light - so you are likely to get a dark subject - ie a person in the foreground - but the background will look fine. This usually isn't what people are trying to achieve though! Same effect will take place if you are using Tv mode.

Only Manual mode will actually meter the flash for the say subject 'person'. And in manual mode you can then set the ISO, shutter and aperture to whatever will get you the desired depth of field, and the camera will 'fill in' the required amount of flash automatically. Obviously this only works up to a certain distance with the built in flash because it's not as powerful as a Speedlite.

Some more good flash info from Canon here with examples, under Tips and Techniques, then select the EOS Speedlite Tips option.
http://photoworkshop.com/canon/

Thanks for all your replies, yes the photo was taken in black and white, I stayed up late last night mucking around with the settings that was suggested, I done it in manual mode but kept getting really dark pictures, anyway, all is good, I'm going to have another play today. Cheers Paul

Thanks onefivenine for your help. Sorry to have hijacked your thread Paul, that was a far better picture than my first DSLR effort.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom