1st nas help

LILCO

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi a friend of mine has a qnap459 he selling not sure how old says he upgraded to 2gb ram and come with 4 hard drives x1tb he is wanting 600 is this worth it for this also I only using for streaming movies 1080p multiple sources

I'd offer closer to £500 depending on the make, model and age / warranty status of the drives, on the basis that a new enclosure is about £500, decent used 1TB drives seem to fetch about £50 each and memory is pretty cheap.

One word of warning though. If you buy it and breaks soon after are you likely to fall out with your friend?

He just messages me saying its less than - year old an will not take less than 560. He not that. Lose of a friend now worried. How much will this set me back new.

Seems fair enough to me but check eBay and the classifieds here for used prices. For new prices you could try Amazon, eBay again or maybe Google shopping.

Oh and if he says he won't less than £560, he'll almost certainly take £550 or maybe £540.

just got pm saying have a look at a micro server from hp about £110 aftercashback or shall i keep looking for a has I'm in no rush. Am i right thinking if i get a hp micro server all i have to do is install freenas and hook up to network for my tav to pick up? Also does freenas have raid 5

just had a quick read up i think i do need a nas as i only want to use to store movies so i can stream to Atv iPad macbook

HP microserver is abiut £140 150 after cashback and would be a better buy if ALL YOU WANT TO DO is store movies and stuff. You could put in a bid for the (4 x 1tb?) Hrd disks tho as they are worth having at a good price.

I have an HP Microserver myself. FreeNAS does RAID 5 amongst other options. Openfiler is pretty good too.

The QNAP 459pro is a fairly high-end NAS box and probably overkill for your requirements. As others have said, something like the HP N40L Microserver (with the current cashback offer), or the Netgear readyNAS NV+ V2 at the current price would be much cheaper alternatives. Depending on your required amount/configuration of disk storage you're probably looking at around £300 - £350.

The QNAP 459pro is a fairly high-end NAS box and probably overkill for your requirements. As others have said, something like the HP N40L Microserver (with the current cashback offer), or the Netgear readyNAS NV+ V2 at the current price would be much cheaper alternatives. Depending on your required amount/configuration of disk storage you're probably looking at around £300 - £350.

hi i have seen this on HUKD and was thinking about this however the box would not fit nicely where I'm putting it. Just been having a look at this drobo Drobo DR04DD30 4-Bay FireWire 800/USB 2.0 DAS Enclosure But what is a DAS.
Also its says does single disc protection work same as raid 5. Thanks for all those who have replied this is my 1st ever has and don't wanna buy another for many years so want something that is good and quality.

DAS is directly attached storage. As is you connect it directly to a host computer as opposed to a network. If you spend a bit more you can buy a NAS from Drobo. They're not the fastest machines out there but they do have advantages in terms of flexibility an ease of use.

A NAS will NOT stream to an ATV3 or iPad (I have a ReadyNAS, so I should know). A NAS will stream to an jailbroken ATV2, though.

By comparison, the HP Proliant Microserver N40L WILL stream to the ATV and iPad.

Just add WHS 2011 and iHomeServer for iTunes and you're good to go - http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer_for_iTunes.aspx

Last edited:
DAS is directly attached storage. As is you connect it directly to a host computer as opposed to a network. If you spend a bit more you can buy a NAS from Drobo. They're not the fastest machines out there but they do have advantages in terms of flexibility an ease of use.

yes have just seen the drobo fs has 5 bay at £320 has anybody got one of these with an apple tv 2 as read a few threads saying that they have compatible issues

A NAS will NOT stream to an ATV3 or iPad (I have a ReadyNAS, so I should know).

By comparison, the HP Proliant Microserver N40L WILL stream to the ATV and iPad.

not even if you jailbreak?

am really interested in the drobo fs will probably buy with either 1x 2tb or 3tb hard drive to start with but been searching the net and can't find a defo answer will this work with my apple tv 2 which is jailbroken, and i also have the new iPad and a macbook pro late 2011.

do i buy the drobo with 2x1tb hd or 1x2tb hd to start with if anyone can help

If you don't like the HP Microserver idea, but would prefer something comparable with the Qnap 459, Netgear have substantially reduced the price of their ReadyNAS NV+ V2.

Specifically, it is much, much cheeper than the price that your friend wants for his Qnap 459 - that is, £160.

NetGear ReadyNAS NV+ V2 (4 Bay) - No Drives Included (RND4000-200EUS) - dabs.com

Netgear RND4000 ReadyNAS NV+ v2 4-bay (no disks) NAS.. | Ebuyer.com

Kikatek.com: (RND4000-200EUS) Netgear ReadyNAS RND4000 V2 NV 4-Bay Gigabit Des

If you don't like the HP Microserver idea, but would prefer something comparable with the Qnap 459, Netgear have substantially reduced the price of their ReadyNAS NV+ V2.

Specifically, it is much, much cheeper than the price that your friend wants for his Qnap 459 - that is, £160.

NetGear ReadyNAS NV+ V2 (4 Bay) - No Drives Included (RND4000-200EUS) - dabs.com

Netgear RND4000 ReadyNAS NV+ v2 4-bay (no disks) NAS.. | Ebuyer.com

Kikatek.com: (RND4000-200EUS) Netgear ReadyNAS RND4000 V2 NV 4-Bay Gigabit Des

Thnaks spinal tap but am most likely going with the drobo fs have seen it for 329 from various places. you know anywhere where they sell it cheaper

I got rid of my QNAP and replaced it with a HP microserver

much quieter better and streams much much faster.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom