1st Mac advice and apple student discount

D20PAX

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, well another laptop has given up on me and tbh I'm getting sick of rebuilding my windows machines.

I am a long standing iphone and ipad user and can't fault them, so thinking a Mac book is the answer for me.

Is the transition for a pretty cluded up windows user fairly easy?

For a min computer for me, Mac book pro or air?

And also my younger sister is at uni so was think of asking her to buy it for me, any ideas on the discount on the £1000 models

Cheers guys

Hi guys, well another laptop has given up on me and tbh I'm getting sick of rebuilding my windows machines.

I am a long standing iphone and ipad user and can't fault them, so thinking a Mac book is the answer for me.

Is the transition for a pretty cluded up windows user fairly easy?

For a min computer for me, Mac book pro or air?

And also my younger sister is at uni so was think of asking her to buy it for me, any ideas on the discount on the £1000 models

Cheers guys

If your a pretty clued up PC user you'll have no problems swapping over, I find the Mac OS is very intuitive, much more so than Windows. I swapped over about 3 years ago and don't regret it one bit. It just feels better, more stable and is nicer to use.

As for what computer to go for depends on what requirements you have. I'm currently using a MacBook Air as my main computer and have had no probs what so ever. I dont use it for anything more taxing than iTunes and browsing aswell as a bit of editing in iMovie and Football Manager. If your going to want to be doing more than that go for a Pro. (Depends how you feel having no CD drive as well)

Discount is around the 15% mark on the HE store I believe.

Last edited:
Just bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one, as I am in the same boat. Although I'm going to get a friend to use her student card to get me my discount, and purchase the extended warranty. My question is, will that be ok, as I will be the owner and I don't want to run into problems in the future if her name is all over the documents? Etc

Just bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one, as I am in the same boat. Although I'm going to get a friend to use her student card to get me my discount, and purchase the extended warranty. My question is, will that be ok, as I will be the owner and I don't want to run into problems in the future if her name is all over the documents? Etc

won't be a problem, also simply get the laptop and APP transferred over to your name, how to do so, in this sticky: http://www.avforums.com/forums/appl...770-new-sticky-apple-warranty-apple-care.html

Hmm, I've just been doing some digging around, and I can get the MBP for £10 than the student offer, by using a work discount card! So i think it'll be easier in the long run.

Hmm, I've just been doing some digging around, and I can get the MBP for £10 than the student offer, by using a work discount card! So i think it'll be easier in the long run.

It shouldn't actually make any difference at all in the long run.

Apple look at if the laptop is in warranty or not by the Serial Number, I have not heard of an occasion where they have required the original owner to be present.

Just a note on your comment. If you use the student discount you get a free printer and the apple care is discounted too.:thumbsup:

scobner said:
Just a note on your comment. If you use the student discount you get a free printer and the apple care is discounted too.:thumbsup:

The free printer offer only tends to run from late August to early October and also includes the free or discounted iPod offer

That saving is outweighed by the HE discounted AppleCare that only costs about £50 instead of over £200.

For info, Applecare goes with the machine it was bought with, regardless of the owner or who originally bought it :0)

For info, Applecare goes with the machine it was bought with, regardless of the owner or who originally bought it :0)

yes, but still very useful to get all the details transferred under your name

Well, you could try I guess, but I called to do that, [some time ago], and they said it didn't matter, as Applecare is registered against the machine and not the owner.

Well, you could try I guess, but I called to do that, [some time ago], and they said it didn't matter, as Applecare is registered against the machine and not the owner.

yes I do know that already, and it's not a matter of 'you could try I guess' it is clearly stated in the APP T&C's, it's incredibly easy to do so:

6. Transfer of Plan

Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your rights under the Plan to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include the original Proof of Purchase, the Plan's Certificate and all of the Plan's packaging material, including printed materials and these Terms and Conditions; (b) you notify Apple of the transfer by sending or faxing notice of transfer to Apple Customer Support, Hollyhill Industrial Estate, Hollyhill, Cork, Republic of Ireland, fax number: +353-(0)21-428-3917, and (c) ) the party receiving the Plan
reads and agrees to accept the Terms and Conditions of the Plan. When notifying Apple of the transfer of the Plan, you must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, and the name, address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.

it really is not hard for the seller of the Apple product to do the above :thumbsup:

EDIT: p.s. my point is that, when you are buying something of considerable value be it an iphone, mac computer, ipad etc, it's just handy to have it transferred under your name even with the warranty going with the machine

Last edited:
The £10 difference, is for the exact same spec LBP, including Apple Care.

Student Price:
£1,538.40 incl. VAT
Dispatched: 3-5 business days
Free Delivery

Specifications
2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook / MacBook Air / 13-inch MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll

My Staff Discount Price:
£1,549.20 incl. VAT
Dispatched: 3-5 business days
Free Delivery

Specifications
2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook / MacBook Air / 13-inch MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll

The £10 difference, is for the exact same spec LBP, including Apple Care.

Student Price:
£1,538.40 incl. VAT
That is not the HE discount price.

The 13" MBP with 8GB & AppleCare costs £1662 full retail & £1303.20 with Higher Education discount. While £110 discount is nice it's not half as good as £350+.

How did you check the HE pricing? I had checked the Education Pricing, and I am unable to select the University, or other Higher Education Establishment option, only the others.
It says because I am off campus.

University, or other
Higher Education establishment.*

College, or other
Further Education establishment.*

School or any
other education establishment. *

So its £1330 with the Education discount eh!

Higher education discount > further education discount.

HE is about 14%, FE is about 8%

The HE discount its 14%. If your not on campus then you would have to order yours over the phone as the Apple website requires you to be connected to your uni network to verify.

Or you could try to find a post-verification website address to order from outside campus eg the address of the University of Birmingham is: http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5******/

Not 100% sure it will work as it might try to verify connection to the network before submitting the order but Iv never tried it that way so don't really know.

I actually think your easiest option is to order over the phone, they will take your uni .ac.uk address to verify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you order in the store and receive the HE 14% discount?

As i'll be asking a friend to order it.

Forbez said:
Can you order in the store and receive the HE 14% discount?

As i'll be asking a friend to order it.

You can buy it in store - but you can't customise the machine though, you will get the standard spec.

You can buy it in store - but you can't customise the machine though, you will get the standard spec.

to elaborate and clarify, all the different models you see pre-configured for each model will be available in store, you can just can't for example order a 13" MBP with RAM upgraded to 8GB etc

to elaborate and clarify, all the different models you see pre-configured for each model will be available in store, you can just can't for example order a 13" MBP with RAM upgraded to 8GB etc

I thought you could get RAM upgrades done in store? (but not the various CPU and screen permutations).

Certainly, my local Apple store (Cribbs Causeway, Bristol) has the 2.3GHz CPU with the anti-glare screen in stock, which is not a standard machine on the Apple Store website. They didn't have any other combinations though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom