1st Half Marathon - Help

bluevortex

Hi All,

I need some advice. I'm running my 1st half marathon this coming Sunday. I have only been running for 7 weeks ahead of this and never done any serious running before now. Training has been going well until Friday when I felt my throat was feeling a bit rough. I have self diagnosed 'Man Flu' one week before the big day :rolleyes: I did manage a short 2.5 mile run on Saturday but my lungs were not 100% and I struggled a bit compared to normal. I have been taking it easy but now I feel a bit chesty. I am getting a bit nervous about the event as its my first and because I have this damn cold its not helping

Just wondering if any fellow runners have race preperation tips or advice for me how to get properly prepped before hand. Should I try and get a run in before Sunday or just rest properly now?

Cheers
Blue

Steven

Senior Moderator
To be truthful you really should have been working up the distance on each run for the past 7 weeks. Unless you have been doing consecutive days, say 5/6 days in a week?

My advice would be to pace yourself and not be tempted to try to run with people around you as it is one quick way to burn yourself out

bluevortex

I started running about 3 miles and have built this up to 7/8 miles over the course of 7 weeks. When I said I did a run of 2.5 miles on saturday this was because I was feeling under the weather but felt something was better than nothing and did 2.5 miles. I realise my training was short but didnt have time to only increase the recommended 10% per week (Jog scotland guide)

I am comfortable running 10K. Just a bit concerned about this damn cold holding me back.

Blue

Steven

Senior Moderator
How do you feel at the end of each run? I usually run a 12-15km distance but did a 20km last night as I wanted to tire myself. I "guess" a race is as good as any to push yourself. Ordinarily I would advise to do one 3/4 race distance practice or full race distance at a slow pace (even if it means walking some bits) before this weekend, but right now you need to clear up your cold

Rest up, homemade lemon and honey or lemsip it

Woody26

Just take it steady, your going to run twice the distance you've managed so far! It's a big jump. I completed a marathon 5years ago but never actually ran the 26 miles in training, so by the time I reached 18 miles my legs were shot! One tip for energy on the way round, jelly babies, work a treat!

bluevortex

Just take it steady, your going to run twice the distance you've managed so far! It's a big jump. I completed a marathon 5years ago but never actually ran the 26 miles in training, so by the time I reached 18 miles my legs were shot! One tip for energy on the way round, jelly babies, work a treat!

Jelly babies huh! I was going to try one of them energy gel sachets. I'm well nervous about the race especially as my chest is feeling pretty rough today. now starting to wish Id put an additional 6 weeks training front end. Oh well I have £150 of sponsorship so far so I can't dissapoint. The marathon was more about taking part and completing for me not getting a competitive time

Any more advice on the run?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom