1st ever build - i5 gaming rig - advice needed

Jiggerbyte

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm just planning my first ever build. I have no experience whatsoever other than replacing a graphics card a few years ago :)

I want to build this machine for gaming and before i purchase the parts I just want to make sure they are all compatible!

I also wanna make sure that it will be able to play top line games for a while and doesnt get dated quickly and will be easily upgradeable in the future.

All advice is welcome and if you can spot any parts that I could get cheaper or improve on then I would be really
grateful! Thanks in advance from a complete novice :hiya:

Components****

1 xCasecom 6788 Black Mid Tower Case with Full Black Interior/Exterior 120mm Blue LED Front Fan - No PSU172779£21.73£21.73
Casecom 6788 Black Mid Tower Case with Full Black Interior/Exterior 120mm Blue LED Front Fan - No PSU £21.73

Intel Core i5 661 3.33GHz Socket 1156 4MB L3 Cache Retail Box Processor - £130.70

MSI GT240 1GB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card - £63.44

Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V - £68.33

Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - £61.58

Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM Caviar Blue - £31.82

LG GH22LS50 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer & RAM Burner + LightScribe Black Bare Drive OEM - £16.25

Extra Value Titan 650W Neon PSU - 12cm Fan, 20+4pin, 1x SATA, 1x PCI-E - £23.14

D-Link AirPlus-G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter - £15.31

Total cost of setup including VAT @ £76.85 = £515.74

All parts are from ebuyer

20 views and not one person could even offer a little smidge of advice :lease:

By the way Im thinking about changing the graphics card to a XFX HD 4770 512MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card. Thoughts?

looks decent and i cant see no compatibility problems but i'd seriously think about expanding your budget for a better gpu and psu.

you said you wanted a gaming pc so you should think of getting at least a 4870 or equivalentgraphics card and a 650w psu for £23 is playing with fire basically. trust me you'll regret it later and its more like £23 down the drain other than £23 that can go towards a proper psu that will last. never ever skimp on a psu, ever!

none of your items are linked so i havent checked them out properly but if you have to wait on components then get an onboard graphics mobo so you can get yourself a decent gpu a few weeks down the line and use you new pc for internet and stuff if your really at your budget limit.

Corsair 450W VX Series PSU - ATX12V v2.2 - Ebuyer

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 Vapor X PCI-Express Graphics Card [11133-16-20R] Graphics and Video ATI HD 4870 Series

these are 2 products i think you should be looking into at least. also check out scan and novatech for deals, scan do a today only offer everyday which knocks prices down.

Thanks for the advice mate. I like the graphics card you've pointed out. I actuall think Im gonna order that one now instead. PSU I will definately change then, will a 450W be enough?

Now for the actual build :confused:...as I mentioned at the start I have never done it before and I really dont wanna wate £500+ of my hard earned cash!

Ive done a lot of reading on it and from what I can gather it's just a case of fitting all the components onto the motherboard correctly and connecting the drives. Once all is in place just boot up and install the OS??

Thanks again!:smashin:

yeah 450w should be plenty. that rig wouldnt draw much more than 350w if both the cpu and gpu were at 100%. even with your cpu oc'ed.

just be methodical when building. it really is easy, just follow your mobo booklet and you shouldnt go wrong. it is basically fitting the right connector to the right hole and its all labels in your mobo booklet :thumbsup:

Cheers mate I appreciate the advice a lot.

Im gonna get all the components ordered in the next week or so and hopefully have it up and running in the next fortnight.

I just hope nothing goes wrong with it haha!

definitely change the psu 1x sata is very small it is not enough for any computer using 1 hard drive and one dvd writer

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom