1st Ever 3 RRoD Tonight-Replace with Arcade, Elite or 250GB Forza/MW2 Machine?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As per title, had my first ever 3RRoD. :(

It was a Premium machine that I stuck a 120Gb HDD on, so I'm not too sure what to do next.

I can't be arsed to senmd it off to Microsoft and wait 2 weeks to get it back, so I'm wondering what to do out of these options:

1. Get a new 360 Arcade machine and stick my 120 gig HDD on it (cheapest option)?
  2. Get an 120 gig Elite machine and sell the HDD and any games that it comes with?
  3. Get a 250 gig MW2/Forza machine, but will I be able to transfer everything off my current 120 gig HDD, as this itself had everything transferred onto it from my original 20 gig Premium drive (that my son now has)?

I'm not even sure if #3 is possible, as I seem to recall reading that people who had already "upgraded" their drives from 20 or 60 gig to a 120 gig, wouldn't then be able to transfer everything to a new 250 gig Super Elite drive.

Also, does anyone have any pictures of the Forza 250 gig console?

I can find pictures of the 250 gig MW2 machine (not really very exciting IMO), but I can't find any pictures of the Forxa console.

Ta. :suicide:

What I would do is get the best Arcade/Elite deal possible, send the broken 360 in to be repaired, then sell it on eBay along with whatever accessories and games you get with the new console that you don't need/want. That way you'd get the latest hardware revision and a new 3 year warranty at a nice cheap price.

What I would do is get the best Arcade/Elite deal possible, send the broken 360 in to be repaired, then sell it on eBay along with whatever accessories and games you get with the new console that you don't need/want. That way you'd get the latest hardware revision and a new 3 year warranty at a nice cheap price.

I'm thinking of a used Elite from Game @ £155.

What would I get for a repaired premium, with 1 x wireless controller do you think?

What would I get for a repaired premium, with 1 x wireless controller do you think?
I would sell the bits separately. Based on completed listings on eBay, you're looking at: -

Console on its own - £40-£50 (a repaired E74 Premium just sold for £50)
120 GB hard drive - £40-50
Power supply - £10-£17
Wireless controller - £15-£18 (if you sell the new one still in the packet)
Composite cable - £3-4
Wired headset - £4-5

So £110-£140, minus eBay and PayPal fees on average.

I would suggest staying well clear of used consoles I know plenty of people that was banned sold them to people like Game and for that sort of money you can get one almost new with 2-3 games.

check cex site for trade in value then go to gamestation they will beat it the 120gb drive trade value is about £35 alone wireless pad is like £15 but console is not much at all about £30-40.

Well worth getting it repaired and then trade it in for new one or find someone to buy it off you.

Yeah, forget paying £155 for a used Elite. You can buy an Elite with a choice of 2 games on Amazon for £199.99. If you chose Bayonetta and Darksiders as the 2 games (both are available in the offer), you'd get more than £50 for both on eBay as they're new and sealed, so that works out cheaper and the console is brand new.

A second hand Elite might be an older hardware revision, which makes it more prone to failure. It might have already been repaired before. It might be banned from Live. I would always buy new if possible with any console.

Yeah, forget paying £155 for a used Elite. You can buy an Elite with a choice of 2 games on Amazon for £199.99. If you chose Bayonetta and Darksiders as the 2 games (both are available in the offer), you'd get more than £50 for both on eBay as they're new and sealed, so that works out cheaper and the console is brand new.

A second hand Elite might be an older hardware revision, which makes it more prone to failure. It might have already been repaired before. It might be banned from Live. I would always buy new if possible with any console.

Thanks, I hadn't realised about those 2 games, so it looks lie that might be the way to go.

Get the Amazon Elite with Bayonetta and Darksiders, flog both the games, get my Premium repaired and flog that as individual items too. :thumbsup:

i would do option 4.

Get a 250 gig MW2/Forza machine,

keep the elite and put your 120gb hdd on it.

and sell me the 250gb hdd :) :clap: :clap: :rotfl:

Might be too late but I got an Elite for £148.98 today in Gamestation.
Took their Bayonetta & Forza 3 bundle & they allowed me to trade the games in against the cost of the bundle. They also matched CEX's trade in price.

GameStation Nottingham = Top Quality!

Might be too late but I got an Elite for £148.98 today in Gamestation.
Took their Bayonetta & Forza 3 bundle & they allowed me to trade the games in against the cost of the bundle. They also matched CEX's trade in price.

GameStation Nottingham = Top Quality!

Not too late at all. :smashin:

That sounds like a good deal TBH and would certainly be easier than ordering through Amazon (at least I can take it back to the High St if there's a fault with it in the future).

I'll take a look at Game/Gamestation later this afternoon and see what deals they've got on the go currently.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Exchanges in store go back to the central repair centre for Game where they are serviced and checked, the chances of you getting a banned used console from Game are very slim. I'm not saying that buying a used 360 is ever a good idea though ;).

Go to ebay buy x-clamp for 4.00 gbp check out you tube and try do it your self it's not a big deal :) and if you fix it! do not put it in a cabinet and make 4 bottle caps in the bottom to cool it's self! your loosing nothing my friend

Not too late at all. :smashin:

That sounds like a good deal TBH and would certainly be easier than ordering through Amazon (at least I can take it back to the High St if there's a fault with it in the future).

I'll take a look at Game/Gamestation later this afternoon and see what deals they've got on the go currently.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Well I didn't get in to town to check out Game/Gamestation etc, as I ended up working all weekend. :mad:

Anyway, I've got to get this one repaired so I've filled out the form on the 360 site to get the ball rolling.

Is there anyone who has had a 360 repaired recently that can give me an idea of how long it might take to get it back?

With a bit of luck, I'll get to the shops lunchtime today to check out my local (to work) Game, Gamestation and HMV.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Result. :thumbsup:
Did you send it on the 18th then? :confused:
I hope mine gets back quicker got an email today from the service center, i sent mine on the 25th. :hiya:

Result. :thumbsup:
Did you send it on the 18th then? :confused:
I hope mine gets back quicker got an email today from the service center, i sent mine on the 25th. :hiya:

I dicked around trying to decide whether to get a replacement and didn't get round to sending it until last Tuesday (18th), but it came back today so that's fair enough IMO.

So.....

I thought I'd have a bit of a "guitar-sesh" last night!

However, when I tried Rock Band 2 & GH5 I got a message telling me that the game could only played on the console it was originally installed on, and to delete/reinstall the game. :thumbsdow

Bizarrely enough, Beatles: Rock Band was fine. :confused:

Do I have to go through and delete the games and then reinstall them and if so, what about any progress that I have made through the games-will I have to start all over again?? :eek:

Do I have to go through and delete the games and then reinstall them and if so, what about any progress that I have made through the games-will I have to start all over again?? :eek:
The game install is basically just an image of the game data that's on the disc. There is also a separate save file for each game, so deleting the game install leaves the save intact, so you've got no worries there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom