• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

1Gb mp3 player - which one?

aljanomac

Standard Member
My wife has expressed interest in getting an MP3 player for the holidays/gym - No point in going for a 20/40/60Gb player so 1Gb would suffice - I'm using the NW-HD3 so most of my tracks are in Atrac3 but can convert to MP3 is needed but what would you recommend? - Looking to weigh up price/ease of use/MP3 or Atrac/battery life and finally quality of build. Ideas on a postcard please.

Please - no iPods.

wullsy

Established Member
I bought a Panasonic SV-SD80 from the classifieds for £60 and bought a 1gb SD card off ebay for £50. So, for £110 I got an mp3 player the size of a 50p piece with a little gym holster that comes with it, that boosts the battery life to 41 hours !! I've used it every day, and it's fantastic. You see them quite regularly on ebay for £30-£50.

BAD Dave

Established Member
I am also looking for a 1GB compact flash based mp3 player for my daughter.
There is one on play.com for £100 & cheaper, similar Samsung based ones on ebay for about £50 (Hong Kong exports).
Does anyone have experience of either of these?
Thanks
Dave

M

miltie

aljanomac said:
My wife has expressed interest in getting an MP3 player for the holidays/gym -,,,,,, - Looking to weigh up price/ease of use/MP3 or Atrac/battery life and finally quality of build. Ideas on a postcard please.

Please - no iPods.

sony has an mp3 player for $199 USD and runs for 70hours on one AAA battery. it is tiny tiny. don't know about sound quality.
usb1.1

also,,,,,,,,the nex player from frontierlabs. it uses a cf card. runs on 2xAA for about 15 hours. simple drag/drop,,,,no software. flakey firmware,so it's better not to upgrade. playerscosts about $70 USD + $70 usd for a cf card = $140-150 for the whole thing. it is rather clunky for today's players. also usb1.1

my pick is the iriver because it has 40 hours on 1 AA, and it uses usb2. cost is about $230. i use the 512mg player(ifp 795) in the gym(8 hours of mp3 at 128bitrate). it comes with an arm and and neck strap. cost of the 512 is about $180 USD http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=55-150-028&depa=10

S

Sunday Ironfoot

I'm also in the market for a 1GB flash player and I think I've narrowed it down to a Creative Muvo V200 or the N200 model, problem is I'm not sure about the differences between these models, Creative seem to have about a zillion flash based players out on the market. I think from what I can tell the V200 has a pull out device that lets you use it as a USB memory stick so no long USB A-B cable needed. The reviews of the V200 I've seen so far seem good, a review of www.tomshardware.com states that the V200 has good sound quality, which is important to me.

I'm about to return my iRiver iFP799 player, had a bad experience with it, so that rules out the iRiver players for me (ask me if you want to know why).

I'm not sure about the Ipod Shuffle, there's no screen so how are you able to select which tracks to play?

mt50

Established Member
wullsy said:
I bought a Panasonic SV-SD80 from the classifieds for £60 and bought a 1gb SD card off ebay for £50. So, for £110 I got an mp3 player the size of a 50p piece with a little gym holster that comes with it, that boosts the battery life to 41 hours !! I've used it every day, and it's fantastic. You see them quite regularly on ebay for £30-£50.

hi, thanks for the info on this mp3 player i just got one off ebay for £55inc with a 256mb card, was going for a ipod shuffle but this looks small enough for me, and i can allways add a 1gig card later.

can't wait to get it now. will save me some battery life on my phone now :)

D

Doomke2k4

Buy the Maxfield G-Flash. It cost 120€ ( sorry dunno the preice in £ )
But its a good player with 1gb and the price is better than the shuffle ones.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom