1gb Homeplugs or 40Meter ethernet?

canada16uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey
I am starting to think this Playon HD was a mistake, I was trying to watch 720p video and that stutters, and it didnt do it with the PS3 and tested on another 720p video and that stutters as well.

I have a 85MBPS homeplug right now with a normal sky router.

Would I 100% be able to stream 720p or 1080p with a 1gb belkin homeplug, or should I just put the nail in the coffin and run cat5e upstairs?

Running the cable is the cheap option, but will take some time.

Thanks

Run the cable,, how hard would it be, for you to run it outside and in,, like co ax cable,, that's what i have done,, runs along a drain pipe,, I have some under the floor,,and follow the radiator pipes and electrical cables,, which was done when we renovated the house,,

just run the cable --- i didn't bother to crimp it, just wrapped duct tape around the connector,, to protect it when it was passed through the wall,, as the hole was larger, it also allowed me to pass a satellite cable for digital tv as well,, finished off by a bit of mastic,, and a hole cover,, and sheathed the cat 5 cable in an ikea cable tidy "snake" topped off with cable ties and weather proof mastic,,

IKEA | Light sources & accessories | Accessories | RABALDER | Cable reel

Interior Hole Covers White Pack of 5 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

or the 1gb home plugs at £70,00 for a starter kit,, if you are not diy minded.. but cat 5 cable rules where possible for media streaming,,

Well I can get 40m of cat5e for 7.00, so kinda dumb to spend 70.00.
But wouldnt I need a gigabite switch as well, as the router I have is only a standard g router, and I am not sure if that would slow down the connection.

A mate in work is quite hot on this stuff an he said the gigabite switch would be adviseable as well.

Man after my own heart,, why waste money,, when you can be freezing your butt off up a ladder!!

gigabyte is not necessary as the media players are not gigabyte enabled, and don't need it for even blu ray streaming, however i did upgrade my router,, to the d link 655,, as there are other users of media players and internet on my network and it works just great,,

Well I wont be going outside or getting on a ladder, sorry to disapoint.

It would be easy to run it along the floor boards and run it up the stairs.

Its just were the TV is, its easyer and dryer and warmer. LOL :smashin:

Before you go to all the effort, lug your PC (or whatever holds your video) downstairs and hook a cable up between it and the PlayOn - that way you'll find out if the problem is something other than the network speed.

Apart from the up-front cost, another down-side to HomePlugs is the running costs - they draw a lot of power. You could fry an egg on mine. Well, you could warm it up a bit.

Well just hooked up the 1tb drive to the Playon HD and EVERYTHING plays fine apart from 2 movies.

Prince of persia and Grindhouse, both blu-ray, for some reason I get sound but no pic.

Must be bad files or something, but everything plays with ease, even the 1080p DTS that stuttered like mad.

So CAT5E it is. and only cost me 7.45 from fleabay.

But what I am worried about is... Wont my router which is 10/100 strangle it, or is this more than enough for HD video?

Thanks guys

dude i play full bluray isos through the same speed of router u have, it works a breeze, forget homeplugs, theyre good for small stuff and internet, thats all. If u do get stuttering after that then its ur Playon that has buffer problems. My Xtreamer couldnt stream BDISOS properly via ethernet cause of buffer problems with the Xtreamer. My new A200 on the same ethernet line streams perfectly with everything:thumbsup:

Someone on another site said you can even get stutter on 1080p over ethernet.

Whats the point in buying a HD media streamer if it cant stream true HD stuff, very strange.

Also am I being dumb, but whats the difference in my external HDD sending the 1080p files to the Playon when i hooked it up to the machine its self, and the ethernet?
Do HDD's transfer data faster or differently?

Thanks

Nothing is faster than the HDD directly connected, anything you put between them like ethernet will only slow things down, you could try a gigabit switch as they are cheap now?

Well just hooked up the 1tb drive to the Playon HD and EVERYTHING plays fine apart from 2 movies.

Prince of persia and Grindhouse, both blu-ray, for some reason I get sound but no pic.

Must be bad files or something, but everything plays with ease, even the 1080p DTS that stuttered like mad.

So CAT5E it is. and only cost me 7.45 from fleabay.

But what I am worried about is... Wont my router which is 10/100 strangle it, or is this more than enough for HD video?

Thanks guys

mkvtoolnix -- Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows

google up mkv header compression fix and you'll find out how to play files with no picture. there is a small bug in the firmware that means it can't play mkv files with header compression. strictly speaking, this has always been part of the mkv spec so should have been working, but as it's not commonly used it was overlooked. playon will be updating the firmware to fix the problem, but in the meantime you can remux files with the program above and choose no compression, and it will quickly create a new working file in about 5 mins or less

i have problems streaming between rooms with homeplugs, even SD material sometimes, but that's in an old building with old wiring. using ethernet in the same room as the pc, via a switch, i can play 1080p material fine, without a gigabit network

Someone on another site said you can even get stutter on 1080p over ethernet.

Whats the point in buying a HD media streamer if it cant stream true HD stuff, very strange.

Also am I being dumb, but whats the difference in my external HDD sending the 1080p files to the Playon when i hooked it up to the machine its self, and the ethernet?
Do HDD's transfer data faster or differently?

Thanks

Taken from my earlier reply to another thread...

"I've just bought the DLink 307AV plugs (received them yesterday) and have to say, very impressed! Getting 160mbps throughput, fantastic!

Slight caveat, when I first plugged them in (into an extension socket), was only getting 59mbps; however, after plugging them directly into a wall socket, got the 160mbps. And this is on on 1950's wiring!

Highly recommended."

Streaming 1080P movies to my Xbox360 (waiting for my Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ to arrive, snagged it for £45 all in, couldn't resist!) is a dream, absolutely zero stutter, plays perfectly.

Taken from my earlier reply to another thread...

"I've just bought the DLink 307AV plugs (received them yesterday) and have to say, very impressed! Getting 160mbps throughput, fantastic!

Slight caveat, when I first plugged them in (into an extension socket), was only getting 59mbps; however, after plugging them directly into a wall socket, got the 160mbps. And this is on on 1950's wiring!

Highly recommended."

Streaming 1080P movies to my Xbox360 (waiting for my Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ to arrive, snagged it for £45 all in, couldn't resist!) is a dream, absolutely zero stutter, plays perfectly.

you're not supposed to plug homeplugs into extension cables, just like you aren't supposed to use extensions for ADSL. the reason is they usually use cheaper cable in extensions than in wall sockets which usually have proper copper cables and carry a better signal, whereas the cheap crap cables are crap for carrying data

you're not supposed to plug homeplugs into extension cables, just like you aren't supposed to use extensions for ADSL. the reason is they usually use cheaper cable in extensions than in wall sockets which usually have proper copper cables and carry a better signal, whereas the cheap crap cables are crap for carrying data

Yeh, I know, just wanted to see what throughput I'd get, plus, one of the selling points of these particular plugs is that they're known to work with extension sockets, unlike some out there.

I did some exbasic experimenting a while back with Devolo homeplugs and found that extensions are >okay< up to a limit, but a bigger factor is what else is using the extension/power strip. I found plugging in wall wart type power supplies onto the powerstrip had a big effect. Amps, DVD players etc to a lesser extent.
I never tried using ring wiring such as 2.5 T&E as an extension though.

Surge protected power strips stop them completely.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom