1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1GB CF Cards

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by m@rk, Jun 4, 2004.

1. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Well I now have my new camera and find that my current CF cards are just not big enough.

So I am looking for a 1-GB CF card for it as it would appear that buying 2 x 512-MB cards is no longer cheaper.

So does anybody know of anywhere that is doing really good deals on these at the moment?

Cheers

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    ebuyer are doing a 1GB Viking card for 110quid. I bought 2 x 512 ones the other week and they aren't too bad considering the price.

3. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,957
    Ebuyer also do some PQI cards which are rated at 40x.
    The PQI F1 40x Ultra High-Speed 1GB CompactFlash Card is £132 inc VAT if you want the speed and don't mind paying a little more. I have 2 of the 512MB cards and they are very good.
    Link to 1GB card

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If speed and decreased battery life aren't a major concern, pick yourself up a 4gb MUVO and take the 4gb microdrive out of it. You seem to be able to pick them up for £170 or so on ebay, i was hard pushed for a deadline (sister's wedding!) so i got mine from a Carphone Warehouse, which was £200. Works like a charm and gives me over 600 shots in one sitting!

5. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I have seen a few comments on this although it is now known that Creative have made a modification to the drive in the MUVO to prevent this working anymore.

If you can find old stock then you are OK but if it is the new one, it won't work. £200 is a lot of money only to find it does not work.

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'm not entirely sure how accurate the rumours are, one person in japan suggested that the newer style packaging, with the muvo inserted at an angle instead of "straight" as viewed head on had this modification, but one person reportedly got it to work, and the one i purchased also worked. It was also loaded with the latest firmware. INteresting! I've also seen people selling the drives on Ebay - but i've not looked into it too much to see if they're legit sellers of not. Not nearly as fun as taking stuff apart either :)

7. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alternatively buy an ipod or iriver and store images on those. At 20gb or 40gb, they hold quite a few images.

8. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7dayshop do a 2.2Gb microdrive (cf2 fit) for £104. I use one and never had a problem.

9. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Again, the horror stories about these non IBM microdrives really put me off. I have seen these 3rd party drives all over the place and on every review site, I see loads of peopl having problems.

I think I am going to stick with solid state for now.

Thanks

10. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Agreed, went for the 4gb Microdrive because so many people had major problems with the 2.2gb Magicstor and its clones.

On the solid state front, i don't think you're going to get much cheaper than about £100 a GB, i've seen some of the standard Sandisk CF cards go for about £90 & p+p on Ebay.

Good luck in your quest :)

Oh just out of interest, did you get the Minolta or the Sony in the end?

11. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I went fot the Minolta and have no regrets at all. The picture quality is great, the control and handleing is top notch and it just feels "right" when you use it.

On top of that the image stablisation is fantastic. I have been able to take indoor photos without flash (where before flash was required every time), at quite slow shutter speeds, hand held and still get pin sharp pictures.