1998 (R) Peugeot 306 speakers

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by megla, Mar 11, 2006.

1. megla

megla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.
    As the thread title says, I have a Peugeot 306, a second generation one. I want to replace all the speakers but leaving the standard fittings in place - ie. no huge holes in the parcel shelf. Having taken off one of the front door panels already to fix a water leak, I've discovered that sorting the front out is especially important, as one speaker is damaged; the cone has partially detatched from the mounting, so it rattles a lot.
    From what I've found out on google, the speaker cases on the parcel shelf take a bit of getting in to, but it can be done, and all the speakers front and rear are 17cm coax. I've also heard that there is no clear indication of polarity, either from the stock speakers or the wiring. Time to get a multimeter?

Have I got my facts right? Most importantly, am I right about the 17cm speaker size?
    I have a budget of about £100, so £50 per pair. I already have a basic but capable 4x50w Pioneer MP3-CD head unit - unfortunately, its potential is being trampled on by the state of the rest of the sound system.
    I was thinking maybe something like two pairs of these, as they match up quite nicely to both my budget and the power the head unit can provide.
    Any hints or advice appreciated.

2. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Most big name brand companies do a range of custom fit speakers designed as a direct upgrade to the OE units... So they should fit nicely in the original pods.
    However if Pioneer's website is anything to go by you'd need to modify the rear speaker pods, though buying an acoustic shelf to go it the back would be a better option. (about £70 though)

They are 17cm speakers in the 306.

3. megla

megla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I was looking at the Pioneer site.
    They have some custom fit speakers which seem to be correct. They have a 46mm mounting depth, so I think I'm right in saying they should fit. Pioneer specifically list both of them as compatible with the 306, altough their page refers to the 1st generation 306.

The ones I was considering are:
    http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_pri...product_id=6575 (TS-1776II)
    http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_pri...product_id=2593 (TS-1785)

Two questions:
    Are they likely to be any good? I really don't care about the "bling" factor, they're going to be behind the grills anyway.
    What are those custom tweeter fitting options listed on the TS-1785 page all about? Is it saying the tweeter can be fitted to the main cone? If yes then fine and possibly a bit better as I could angle them towards my driving position. If not then forget the TS-1785s, as I don't have anywhere to put a seperate tweeter.

Thanks in advance!

4. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It actually covers from 8/93 right through to 2/01 which would cover series 1 and series 2 306's

Pioneer do very good quality Gear... i have had lots of Pioneer kit over the years and it's always been very good, both for sound and general quality.

I haven't had any expirence of the TS-1785 but i would doubt the tweeters are ment to fit to the main cone.

5. megla

megla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it does, my bad.
    I think I'll look at getting the 1776II's then, they're around on the web for ~£35 + delivery.

6. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had some 8" Pioneers in the front doors of my last Celica and some 6" ones in the rear... they were very clear and frankly bloody loud.. especially as i was only running it off a Pioneer head unit!!

Unfortunately my current Celica (GT4) has 6" pods in the front doors, but it does have tweeters too.