1988 Scorpio

D

Derek1957

My 1988 ford Scorpio has recently developed a problem with the automatic gearbox. The car is in very good condition for its year. Recently I have not been able to engage reverse gear without some effort, forward and all other gear settings seem ok!.

Any ideas out there?

Derek1957

Beobloke

Do you mean a Scorpio or a Granada, as the Scorpio only went into production in 1995 - prior to that, "Scorpio" just referred to a trim level on the Granada.

If you do mean the post-1995 Scorpio (i.e. the bug eyed one!) then all you ever need to know, plus loads more you don't, can be found here -

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/

If an earlier Granada, try here -

http://www.granada-and-scorpio-online.com/

ScriptDaddy

When was the Gearbox oil and filter last changed?

If not done recently ... than there would be a good start.

Ben

D

Derek1957

Thank you ScriptDaddy.
I have checked the transmission oil level, this seems ok, but the condition of the oil and filter and as to when these were changed is not known to me.I have just booked the Scorpio in for a check up at the local garage and they are aware of the problem.
Thank you and I will keep you up to date

Derek1957

ScriptDaddy

Most problems with Auto's can be resolved by changing the Gearbox Oil and filter. It's often missed during services.

To check the oil, you have to do it when it has warmed up ... unlike engine oil.

It should sit on or just below the hot level indicator (if I remember rightly)

Normally ... you take the car for a run to get the oil hot. Pull up on a level surface. Place it into Park, then down through all the gears, then back to Park. Then check.

I'll see if I can find any information and post it here.

Ben

D

Derek1957

Thank you Ben for your advice.
I do not have much history on this car, but I will take the car to the garage tomorrow and make sure they change/check the oil and filter. Its quite strange that I have to use a rapid change from D to R (after the car has stopped!) for a easy engagement!.
Let you know what happens.

Derek

D

Derek1957

Dear all,
ref Scorpio 1988:- According to my garage I need a trans fix, expensive around 7 to 8 hundred pounds!!!!.

Derek

D

Deleted member 27989

Derek1957 said:
Dear all,
ref Scorpio 1988:- According to my garage I need a trans fix, expensive around 7 to 8 hundred pounds!!!!.

Derek

Ouch! You can buy frogged eye scorpio for that! I know which way I would choose....Although personally I would do the following things first:
1. Change gearbox oil
2. Change gearbox oil filter
3. Clean MAF (it will affect your gearchanges and as it doesn't cost anything you might as well)
4. Reset the ECU and relearn it, over the years it might have gotten a bit out of sync...

Funny that Granada vs Scorpio thing...Only in the UK they called them Granada, the rest of Europe always called them scorpio's....

D

Derek1957

Thank you DEJONGJ,
I will certainly look into the suggestions you have made.

Thank you

Derek

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom