1984 JVC GR-C1 won't record

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Gabbo1, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Gabbo1

Gabbo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have an 1984 JVC GR-C1 VHS-C camcorder, all is working fine after I got a new battery except for one crucial part, it won't record onto the tape. When I record the light comes on, but when I watch it back on camcorder and VHS player, it is just static. It isn't the tabs on the tape so it must be with the camcorder itself, but I am not sure what?

2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I had a similar issue with the 707 although it was eating battery-power even more than when New (and that was the main reason for dropping using it).
    So I'm of the opinion internal capacitors probably failed (modern ones are promised to last longer - time will tell). If capacitors are not used they can fall in a faulty-mode which is all but impossible to reverse.

Have you got the lithium battery working? - usually this supports the Date/Time - I recall that if that wasn't working the similar fault was present....

If you can play back on a suitable VHS player (using an Adaptor?), I'd be inclined to check any tapes are blank before use. That way you won't accidently ruin anything historic. Good Luck, this could be an expensive repair; to an analogue camcorder whose OP is well below current digital standards. Also, Editing any analogue material is getting close to an expensive nightmare.

+ It might be useful if there is a Video-Out socket...(check on an analogue TV, if you can find one! ). possibly as a daytime CCTV, bird watching, etc.

3. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Another point you say the light comes on when recording so i presume you can see the tape turning in the cam or hear tapes when they rewind,if it will it not play any vhs-c tapes and the tapes you record wont play on a vhs player i would say the heads are the problem,assuming that the tapes do play in the cam and are not stuck a vhs-c cleaning tape may help, but it is a long shot.
    If it is that the heads are worn out there are companies that repair camcorders,i had new heads on a Mini Dv recorder/player renewed at £100 cost,whether this would be worth it for your analogue cam is another point.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014