Quantcast

1984 Blu-ray Review & Comments

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Great review Cas and a timely reminder that I need to get this one! Can anyone here tell me why I shouldn't buy this one? There is a German one that I presume is the same and I imagine this one is the same as the USA? Oh and I recommend the book to anybody - still just as relevant now as it was when written. Orwell is a prophetic genius.

u4coffee

Might have to get this. Unfortunately it seems to be becoming more and more prophetic by the day.

Might have to file under documentary, alongside Brazil.

Last edited:

theprestige

^
Love it one of my favourite films of the 80s, Hurt, Burton and Deakins all on top form can't wait to finally pick this up on Blu, I may even opt and try out that Spanish dub as I have never heard it's director intended score before.
Yeah, i'm glad this has come out because I remember it was one of your picks in the 'Best Of Year' threads. I can watch it the way it was intended now :)

systemsdead

Distinguished Member
Yeah, i'm glad this has come out because I remember it was one of your picks in the 'Best Of Year' threads. I can watch it the way it was intended now :)
It was indeed, talking of which how are you getting on with the 50s/60s or have you sacked the idea, those threads where great fun to do and look back on, along with being some of the best input from the forum members who took part.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I read the book after watching the film and was surprised at how I found the screen version to be more bleak than the book. I was expecting the book to be much darker than it actually is. I haven't watched the film since it first came out and look forward to watching it again. I've read the book three times in 20 years and I'm dusting off my copy again tonight.

theprestige

It was indeed, talking of which how are you getting on with the 50s/60s or have you sacked the idea, those threads where great fun to do and look back on, along with being some of the best input from the forum members who took part.
Oh they are still on the cards, mate. I know I initially said early this year, but truth be told, I felt that I had not seen enough from the 60s at that point to really justify making the thread, but I have since watched quite a few films from that period so i'm pretty much at a point where I could start it. I won't give an exact date, but I can guarantee it'll be within the next two months :)

I loved those threads too. I go back to them all the time. Contributions there were wonderful.

encaser

Thanks for the review and headsup on the blu-ray Cas. The bleakness really can't be over emphasized in the film and its awareness of the isolation both in intra- and interrelationships. Hegemony being replaced by pure fascistic fear and the post-truth and alt-right which ring too real of late.
Burton and Hurt sizzle in their philosophical 'chats'.
Definitely a must have purchase.

Evinger

Thanks for the review Cas. Long time ago that I watched this, & definitely one not to be watched if you're feeling at all down. Yeah, I wonder how "Hollywood" the remake might be?

meltonboy

I remember watching this film in the late 80's but strangely i'm 99% sure i saw it with the orchestral score and i'm also 99% sure i saw it on UK TV. In fact, until Cas's review i thought the Eurythmics score was just pulled.

MB

brian s

Distinguished Member
I remember watching this film in the late 80's but strangely i'm 99% sure i saw it with the orchestral score and i'm also 99% sure i saw it on UK TV. In fact, until Cas's review i thought the Eurythmics score was just pulled.

MB
From wiki.

On the subsequent MGM DVD release in North America in 2003, the film's colour is restored to a normal level of saturation and the Eurythmics contributions to the score were removed entirely and replaced with Muldowney's musical cues as Radford had originally intended—although both Eurythmics and Muldowney are still jointly credited in the opening and closing titles. This DVD release was quickly discontinued and currently remains out of print. This version had previously been shown by Channel 4 in the UK in the late-1980s. However, the MGM DVD release of the film in the UK in 2004 features the mixed Eurythmics/Muldowney soundtrack on the English- and French-language audio tracks as well as the original desaturated visuals.

I think I remember that too.

Bri