1970's Philips 408 Turn Table - A Retro Question

robel

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So roughly 5 years ago I picked up at a local boot sale a Philips 408 turn table, 520 amp and the speakers for next to no money.

They are all in great working order considering this set was manufactured circa 1973.

I must admit when I first bought them apart from being attractive in that 70's look I thought I would sell them on and make some money. I didnt bother trying to sell them and so they sit here at home.

Now, I was thinking that I would like to make use of the turntable, although it needs a new drive belt and maybe a new stylus. Nothing major and as you can see from the photos in good condition.

So it has one of those old phono connectors which I would need to change to the modern twin phonos. Is that difficult?

Also I was considering maybe painting in piano black to fit in with the rest of my components. What do you think.

I have attached some pics and would welcome some feedback.

Thanks

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 509
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 325
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 316
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 283
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
there is no way you should paint it that looks in good nick I would leave it as it is and have a look online for instructions for how to update leads

there is no way you should paint it that looks in good nick I would leave it as it is and have a look online for instructions for how to update leads

Yes I tend to agree with you, its just I had seen a photo of one that had been painted so I thought......

It is in very good nick, I have the dust cover too, although its got some wear and tear...

But yes in theory I just need to replace the connectors/leads, new drive belt and stylus and then its good to go....

Love the sprung deck and the style is very Boogie Nights....

if you tell me you paid a fiver for it I might throw up

there might even be an adaptor lead as a temp fix

if you tell me you paid a fiver for it I might throw up

there might even be an adaptor lead as a temp fix

Turntable, amp and speakers - 25 quid

The amp is just a bit different too

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom