1970s Disaster Movies

Fishyrod42

Ex Member
Reaction score
I was just watching The Towering inferno on DVD, and although it had bad continuity, some cheesy dialogue, and dated effects, I'd forgotten just how suspenseful and entertaining it is. Steve McQueen and Paul Newman give straight solid performances, and some set pieces are still powerful (Jennifer Jones falling from the scenic elevator).
What do you think the best 70s disaster movie is? Or what ones do you still enjoy?

Off the top of my head.

Poseidon Adventure
Towering Inferno
Juggernaut
Earthquake

Love this genre of movies but sadly, most of them today are all spectacle over substance.

Off the top of my head.

Poseidon Adventure
Towering Inferno
Juggernaut
Earthquake

Love this genre of movies but sadly, most of them today are all spectacle over substance.
I like The Poseidon Adventure, but it always makes me laugh when the girl, played by Pamela Sue Martin, is asked by Gene Hackman to take her skirt off to climb the Christmas tree. She peels off the ted skirt to reveal matching red hot pants underneath. So convenient 🤣

Earthquake in Sensurround is always good fun. Charlton Heston, Lorne Green, Ava Gardner, George Kennedy (a disaster movie veteran) Marjoe Gortner and Richard Roundtree (Shaft) all cinematic legends. Look up Marjoe he has had the strangest real life, better than any movie.

I think I'm right in saying that the film composer John Williams started to make his reputation by doing the scores for disaster movies. He did the music for The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno and Earthquake I believe. Then Spielberg used him for JAWS and basically commondeered him for all his subsequent movies lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom