1920x1080 questions

M

MrFadedGlory

Hi

I recently posted this in another one of the forums, but think it's better placed here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings all

I've recently signed up and have taken a look through your past threads and discussions for a posting that might satisfy my queries, but so far have found nothing that's exactly right.

I'm about to purchase an LCD screen for the first time and have been doing a bit of research on the market place, narrowing my selection down to the Philips 42PF9830/10 , the Toshiba 42WLT66 or the Sharp LC45GD1E. I've pretty much discounted the Sony Bravia range as they are just too expensive.

The real sticking point I have is 1080p vs 1080i. I know in an ideal world, I would buy a 1080p TV, but i wonder if the market for 1080p will mature in a few years time (in whihc case I'll consign this TV to the bedroom and get another one when the time and cost is right.

1. Is there REALLY that much difference between the image achieved by progressive vs interlaced scanning? If so, what should I be looking for as I walk around looking at models?

2. At 42 - 45", will 1080i vs 1080p nake a difference?

3. will HD DVD players transmit in 1080i and 1080p? If I have a 1080i TV and a DVD player sending a 1080p signal out, will my TV be able to interpret it?

4. Has anyone actually seen a Philips 42PF9830/10 for sale in a high street store? none of the online stores seem to carry it.

5. If i decide to buy a 1080i TV with the intention of replacing it in 2010 or so, should I just opt for the cheaper Toshiba Regza range (the 42WLT66)?

Thanks for whatever advice you can provide.

~Faded

The first thing I would say is to avoid the Philips 9830 range - they're not very good televisions, and are now rather old. (almost a year if I remember correctly)

1. 1080i vs 1080p depends on its use. For films, 1080i is all you should need, as film is only 24fps, however this is assuming the television handles 1080i properly. Many displays basically throw away half the resolution, converting it to a 540p image, and then upscale that to 1080p. What should be happening is converting directly to 1080p. For computer use (as a monitor) or any kind of gaming, you need 1080p. (a 720p display would actually be better for this than a 1080i one)

2. If it's only film, assuming the deinterlacer does its job properly, there should be virtually no difference. Whether you can see it depends on how close you'll be sitting. (for a 46" screen, you need to be sitting 6ft or closer to fully resolve 1080p)

3. It will not accept a 1080p signal, that's why it's a 1080i TV - an LCD can only display a progressive image, so 1080i is converted to 1080p internally - it's only whether or not it can accept 1080p. Current HD-DVD players can't even output 1080p yet anyway, there will always be the option to output 1080i.

Depends how future-proof you want the TV and how long you intend to keep it. With a 1080i TV, you are totally dependent on the electronics (e.g. deinterlacing) of the TV. With a 1080p TV, you're able to bypass the de-interlacing processing of the TV, as better things come along e.g. DVD players with 1080p output, etc. A 1080p TV acts more like a gloried monitor, allowing you to add better external electronics over time.

Hi

1. No not a great deal, you'd need a very keen eye to spot which output your screen was playing imo.

2. As No.1

3. Tosh's hd-dvd (imported from states) does not now but in a few months time uk model may do. Blu-Ray players will including the PS3. Yes your screen will interpret 1080i put prob not 1080p if its not 1080p compatible, however it may downscale 1080p dependant on which model you buy.
SKY HIDEF is only broadcast in 1080i with no near plans to broadcast in 1080p.

4. Most online store can source it for you. Whathomecinema and google searches should find you best prices inc. www.pricerunner.co.uk

5. The Tosh Regza range is an excellent effort made all the more excellent buy its outstanding aggressive pricing.

Rgds

ch

...to all who have responded so far. It seems that things are as I suspected. I'm happy enough to replace the panel in 2010 or later with one that handles 1080p properly, so I think I may opt for the Toshiba Regza range. As Cool-hand has pointed out, I think they seem to be a great TV at a decent price point.

I've been looking at the specs for the Sony Bravia X range this morning and notice that they seem to only be releasing the 46" panel here in the UK. the best price point on pricerunner was at £3,001, which seems to be a bit steep. The Bravias tout 'native' 1080p but I wonder if it's not another language 'shell game'. Does anyone have any information?

The other thing I forgot to mention before is that I have an xBox 360. Will I notice the difference on a 1080i vs 1080p Flat screen?

Again, thenks for the help.

~Faded

MrFadedGlory said:
...to all who have responded so far. It seems that things are as I suspected. I'm happy enough to replace the panel in 2010 or later with one that handles 1080p properly, so I think I may opt for the Toshiba Regza range. As Cool-hand has pointed out, I think they seem to be a great TV at a decent price point.

I've been looking at the specs for the Sony Bravia X range this morning and notice that they seem to only be releasing the 46" panel here in the UK. the best price point on pricerunner was at £3,001, which seems to be a bit steep. The Bravias tout 'native' 1080p but I wonder if it's not another language 'shell game'. Does anyone have any information?

The other thing I forgot to mention before is that I have an xBox 360. Will I notice the difference on a 1080i vs 1080p Flat screen?

Again, thenks for the help.

~Faded

The 40X will be available in Sep for around £2000 - £2500 I reckon.

I have the 46" and it takes in 1080p 50Hz and 60Hz perfectly.

mark800.

i see you have the sony x.

i am currently in 2 minds about whether to get this lcd, or get a plasma.

what is the screen like ? it accepts and outputs 1080p doesnt it.

also is this coming out in 55" or close to this size.
thanks

chrisuk01 said:
mark800.

i see you have the sony x.

i am currently in 2 minds about whether to get this lcd, or get a plasma.

what is the screen like ? it accepts and outputs 1080p doesnt it.

also is this coming out in 55" or close to this size.
thanks

Yes, it accepts 1080p fine, at 50 or 60Hz.
The 52" version arrives in about Sep I believe.
I'm delighted with the TV. Cannot comment on Plasma as I see the rainbow effect, which crossed Plasma options off my list. Also, I want to connect the TV to my PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom