Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

1920 by 1080 ????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by cucuz, Oct 23, 2004.

1. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does anyone know why no plasma has not , as yet , been produced giving the above resolution , whereas Sharp's latest 45" LCD has ?
    Thanks . :)

2. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because it is freaking difficult to get the plasma pixels down that small.

LCD is easy because the technology has been around for years.

Hell you can get 1920x1200 on a dam 17" LAPTOP SCREEN. Sure the viewing angle is less but they can still fit that number of pixels on a 17" screen.

I have 1920x1200 on my 23" LCD monitor and the viewing angle is much better then the laptop screens.

In time Plasma will have that resolution BUT then you will need the sources to support it properly. Upscaling anything is a hassle and the bigger the difference the crapier the image will look in 'most' cases.

So when the sources of 1920x1080 are more plentiful we will have more of it. When UK broadcast in HDTV and when HD DVD gets to the mass market. BUT that will take longer as the step from DVD to HD-DVD for the 'general' public isn't like VHS to DVD was and the features of random access, extras etc.

Koing

3. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the reply Koing . :thumbsup:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Cost..............................$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they need to get better at making plasma cells before they can do this sort of RES.... they may never bother...just go to LCD instead

5. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1366 x 768 on a 42" plasma screen would be big step forward, never mind 1920 x 1080.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    There are and have been 1080P plasma's for over a year. Just we dont get them. I've posted lnks to them on this forum before and a search should bring the threads up. They are large and expensive and not very good.

As has been said cost to manufacture is the issue. I would expect that the next generation plasma's may come out of the gate 1080P for the bg models and 768P for the 42" ones. Just a guess though I don't have definative answers.

Gordon

7. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, there's a physical limit to what human eyes can discern in terms of fine details in a picture. As a matter of fact, for a 42" display and at a normal viewing distance you wouldn't be able to tell the difference b/w an HD source shown on a 1024x768 display and the same source shown on a theoretical 1920x1080 display.

So don't hold your breath on 1920x1080 42" plasma displays, they just won't happen. However I think at about 60" and beyond they do make sense and some are already being manufactured as someone pointed out.
    LCD is a different story since you can pack more LCD pixels than plasma pixels on the same glass size, but the eye's physical limitation stays the same anyway (not to mention less-than-perfect visual perception brought by age and other "phenomenon"...). :lesson:

8. stevekale

stevekale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There are plenty of 42in 768p plasmas available now. I would say they are already the benchmark for quality displays. 1024 wide on 42in models and 1280-1368 wide on 50in. I was watching a 1080i broadcast the other day on a Runco 50in. Simply amazing! 1920x1080 for plasma is a while away if ever due to pixel size issues. Forget about LCD. It simply is not any good - absolutely aweful black generation for example.

9. stevekale

stevekale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Oh and lets not forget that the best source resolution most of us in the UK are ever going to see for quite some time is 576i from our crappy DVDs (worse if you have a Region 1 collection) and maybe just maybe 720p "HDTV" in a couple of years. Plasma already meets this requirement. So you've got the resolution today. Focus on the display's ability to generate blacks, deinterlace, scale to native resolution etc etc.