192 vs Meridian + TAG future

H

hifiman

Has any one got the new Tag 192?

I am looking at that one plus the Meridian G68. Any comments there?

Also looking for a good 5-channel amp to partner it.

Has any one got any info on the future of tag?
Would it be a good move getting into tag now?
I read that only support shall be offered. But what about updates?

As far as support goes,I received a reply to an email on that topic last week,assuring me that the upgrades already listed would continue to be available.
Service will also be available via IAG,and they will have use of the TAG name for 1 year.

Having already got an AV32R,I'm quite happy with that,but I'd suggest you email them helpdesk(the turnround time was somewhat quicker that TAG's previous),and they'll send you the prices and availability.

But what do you think about future upgrades for new formats that appear?
I there is no new develepment perhaps a Tag now is not a good idea.

What else would you suggest?

As to amps, any idea of Bryston vs Krell showcase?

The only way I can suggest for getting any idea of what their longer term plans are is to either email the helpdesk(unlikely to produce a result possibly)or ask a few of the other contributors here,who have links to TAG.

As to amps...both of your choices are excellent amps,and you'd have to audition both with your system to decide which you like best...the sound quality is similar...dry,powerful and well controlled,with plenty of reserve.

The helpdesk just said updates will be made when possible!!
Mmmm. Not too convincing. I think I shall miss the Tag.
I am pretty sold on the Krell amp.
Can you perhaps suggest a processor that would give a lively detailed sort of sound?

Well HiFiMan ring any of the manufacturers and you will get the same response

Not one will give you a guarantee of the future updates

Originally posted by hifiman
The helpdesk just said updates will be made when possible!!
Mmmm. Not too convincing. I think I shall miss the Tag.
I am pretty sold on the Krell amp.
Can you perhaps suggest a processor that would give a lively detailed sort of sound?

I've included a section of the letter from the helpdesk received last week which may make it a little clearer...

"Thank you for contacting the Helpdesk.

Upgrades are most definately still avaialble, in fact, such is the popularity of upgrades that we are currently booked up until the end of May!

The Dual Processor upgrade is still available, "

The Krell amp is a superb AV amp,if not in the class of the proper Class A Krells(but not at the price either!).

As for other processors...you could look at the Krell,as well as Bryston,Meridian and Lexicon,depending on your budget.
Be sure to listen with your own system wherever possible,and to use speakers that will do it all some justice,assuming you don't already have suitable gear!....also worth trying complete systems from manufacturers such as Meridian....good luck and happy spending!

I am very temted by Meridian, but read it has a very laid back soundwhich I don't want. Would you have any comments there?
It has room EQ which seems good though.
I have sonus faber concertino and solo home speakers, with REL Storm. I think I shall get the Krell showcase.
Maybe Lexicon, Meridian, Krell processor? Or are they much the same?

Originally posted by hifiman
I am very temted by Meridian, but read it has a very laid back soundwhich I don't want. Would you have any comments there?
It has room EQ which seems good though.
I have sonus faber concertino and solo home speakers, with REL Storm. I think I shall get the Krell showcase.
Maybe Lexicon, Meridian, Krell processor? Or are they much the same?

The Meridian,to my ears anyway,does have a smooth,but clear sound,and I would include in any shortlist of AV amps/processors.

The Krell combo is excellent,as is the Bryston,and both have a sound which should appeal to you,but do please listen to them before buying.....you've got an excellent set of speakers,and the interaction between the amp and speakers is going to be very important,especially with things as revealing as the Sonus Faber range.
What you wouldn't want is to have a sound verging on the hard and fatiguing....try them all if you can.

The sound I was looking for is a detailed dynamic soundfield.
Another company is American EAD. The theatermaster and powermaster. Any inputs there?

Do you think this new room EQ stuff works?

Undoubtably!, had my set up calibrated last August and couldnt imagine not having TMREQ now. Imagine every resonance and anoying mode being removed, revealing everything in the recording. Being able to hear every detail at lower listening levels as all distortions have been removed.

I have the Krell Showcase processor with Bel Canto eVo 6 power and Sonus Faber speakers, it works very well, if I may say so... :thumbsup:

I had a Meridian 568.2 on loan recently and was very impressed, compared to my Tag it had a cleaner sound with exceptional placement, not boring or vieled.
Can't imagine the G68 being worse.
I also had a Bryston 9BST and although superb for music it never seemed to excite with movies.
You should look at an active set up if it's detail and dynamics you're after, especially as the latest Bryston is £4k on it's own.

Active is ctainly a good avenue to explore,and Meridian,Linn and ATC all offer a selection of systems in varying price ranges.

Prior to going down the AV route,I had a triamped Linn Keltik system,run off Krell amps,and it definitely had very good detail,power and attack,without sounding harsh or forced....the prime mover for me in selling it was being unable to match it to my current house....otherwise it would certainly have stayed.

I have got the Krell Showcase processor and amplifier (5 channel version) - and can recommend it whole heartedly. Using the two together you are able to run in complete balanced mode for all channels - and IMO that makes a massive difference.

I would suggest you demo the other alternatives, but for the cash I felt that the Krell combo could not be beaten...

Has any one compared the showcase and meridian processers?
I think I am down to these two.

Afraid not - I was one of those lucky ones who got the deal on the Showcase combo - that was last summer - so dont think it is available - but worth mentioning it to the dealer when you go for a demo.

BTW, where are you located - I can recommend an excellent dealer in NW London

At the moment I am working in Saudi Arabia.
I am from Pinner, London. Not far from Harrow/Watford.

Any other balanced power will do too, like my Bel Canto... :rolleyes:

I find Meridian too soft... :boring:

"I also had a Bryston 9BST and although superb for music it never seemed to excite with movies."

Are you sure it was the Bryston and not your speakers or some other component, a3mrk? I've got a 9BST and the effect through M&K 150s is awsome for movies - tons of crisp power and never the slightest sign of complaint. Brilliant match for the AV192R as well.

Don't mean to sound argumentative but I'd be surprised if the Bryston amp was the source of the problem.

I was running it through a full set of PMC speakers, FB1 / TB2 so maybe...
Don't shoot me but the best amp i heard through them was my Tag 125M.
After the Bryston I went active and never looked back.
I am sure the MK speakers play a big part in the excitement you hear as they are made for movies.

There we go again, good for movies versus good for music... :suicide:

It is good or it is bad, period... :rolleyes:

Is it good or is bad, period ?????
If that was the only question to ask when buying hifi / av then this forum wouldn't exist.

I am sure you know exactly what I mean... ;)

You might want to think about future upgrade possibility with such priced pre-amps. I see both Tag and Merdian do that, and Krell might make good end amps, they are pretty new at HT pre amps.

Further both Meridian and Tag have room EQ. Tag has more possibilitys in that field. Meridian does only rt60 optimalisation under 250 Hz.

I have never really heared a Krell showcase or other HT pre (only at a show, but that does not really count) but have good experience with Meridian.
I do not feel i have a laid back system, but that seems to be a general oppinion on Meridian here in Holland too. Wonder where all those poeple get that from. Meridian must be more widely spread in the UK compared to Holland, so perhaps demo's at dealers are better possible than here. (had to go to Germany to listen to an 861)

Jaco

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom