1917 Review & Comments

I have seen all those,, Full Metal Jacket being the best film out of those, Platoon was a bit more 'Hollywood' no? Great film of its time. I think 1917 is a completely different type of film based on a completely different type of war.
On first release at the cinema ?
that’s we’re these films have the most impact .
1917 is just another war film but nowhere near as submersive , weak story line with lots of similarities to previous films of the genre

It could have been a war film disaster like Midway. It could have had a huge amount of shaky cam and undercranking the camera and artificial film grain. Thankfully it wasn't.

As an aside, I wonder if Schofield
ever makes it home?

The fact it is called "1917" means we are clued in that it won't be over for a while yet.

And as Cummerbund points out, there will still be other offensives.

Though why they didn't twig something was up I don't know.

The artillery was working fine on them so hardly in full retreat.

I saw this last night in IMAX. It’s a long time since I saw a film that gripped me as this did. I was totally immersed and engaged. Brilliant cinematography from Roger Deakin. Superb.

Saw it yesterday and it was so-so - much better than Dunkirk but nowhere near as good as the hype suggests. Felt it dragged on too long and would have improved with some better editing.

The 'single shot' idea was novel, but to me it simply made it feel low budget like a TV mini series.

Saw it for a second time today and it was better than 1st time as I was more tuned into the characters and less bothered about the one shot, although the one shot is super intriguing and should see it just for that

If you forget it’s shot in one shot it’s really perfectly filmed

Reminds me of Dunkirk which I thought was brilliant too

What got me thinking is what would those boys think about life in 2020 now, the differences between now and then

So really enjoyed 1917 think it’s a bit of a classic really

Can we say how amazing that rendition of Poor Wayfaring Stranger was by Jos Slovick.

That song haunted me after watching the film. Got home and tried to find it on YouTube, but only found a ropey, captured on a smart phone version. However, I stumbled upon Hayde Blue Grass Orchestra’s version, and it gave me goosebumps.

The film itself was, I thought, absolutely superb. Brilliantly paced, wonderfully cinematic, and with a fantastic soundtrack. I loved that the lead performances were understated, and am glad that they gave two relatively unknown actors the opportunity. Richard Madden’s short scene was incredible. I filled up as he absorbed the news. What a performance. He has gone right up in my estimations.

I have seen it twice now. First time was at the regular cinema, but I thought it worthy of the Imax treatment, so went to Great Park, B’ham. Wow! What a difference! The sound alone was worth the extra admission. A definite purchase when it lands on bluray.

I really liked Joker but amazed it beat this for original score.

Finally, someone has uploaded the song from the original soundtrack

I thought the movie was terrible.

Cliche after cliche.

Unbelievably incompetent Soldier stumbles through life and death situations over and over somehow escaping with his life despite terrible decision making. As an actual combat veteran I cannot stand seeing this in movies.

The director tried to be way too artsy which to me just gave the movie a very cheap look and feel.

I really wanted to like this but it sucked. Of course everybody loves this movie but that usually means it's bad. The atmos soundtrack was good though.

Soldiers weren't trained back then. Who knows what the average 19year old would decide when given a gun and chucked straight into combat.

Soldiers weren't trained back then. Who knows what the average 19year old would decide when given a gun and chucked straight into combat.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. For you to say soldiers were not trained back then is utterly ridiculous. The movie was crap.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. For you to say soldiers were not trained back then is utterly ridiculous. The movie was crap.
Alright, calm down.

Soldiers were given a brief spell of basic training then shipped across the channel into combat. These days soldiers could be in the forces for years before, or without ever, seeing combat.

The mix of soldiers was often mostly new recruits too, thanks to the number of fatalities.

It's a little different to today.

Tidied and DarkJoe thread banned.

I watched the movie in theatre. I think it's well shot, great overhead sound effects, good score, nice detail in the no man land but...the story is so stupid.
The idea of sending two soldiers to warn others stranded is crazy. They could have dropped a message by plane. Also, how come they will attack a position if they are cut off from the rest of the army? What about reinforcements, ammos, food, and orders? No one will move like that. The idea of the germans retreating to create a trap it's also quite ridicolous. And how come the two soldiers went through hell crawling through mud, walking through tunnels only to find themselves together with a column of soldiers calmly advancing with trucks? (Trucks can't ride over trenches, so it means they had a road). And the city with stranded german soldiers drunk is also unrealistic. Are those germans so smart to live a city on the frontline with just some soldiers cocking around?
The pace worked well until the first soldier died, then it became just a mess where the other wanders confuse. Also again we see indian and black soldiers mixed with british, when colonial troops were put different units. Doesn't surprise me, since i've seen that middle age scotland was full of black people according to movies like Mary Queen of the scots. I had really high expectations for this movie but I felt quite let down. If you want to shoot a movie set in a historical period, stick to realism. Otherwise do something like man in the high castle

Last edited:
I watched the movie in theatre. I think it's well shot, great overhead sound effects, good score, nice detail in the no man land but...the story is so stupid. The idea of sending two soldiers to warn others stranded is crazy. They could have dropped a message by plane. Also, how come they will attack a position if they are cut off from the rest of the army? What about reinforcements, ammos, food, and orders? No one will move like that. The idea of the germans retreating to create a trap it's also quite ridicolous. And how come the two soldiers went through hell crawling through mud, walking through tunnels only to find themselves together with a column of soldiers calmly advancing with trucks? (Trucks can't ride over trenches, so it means they had a road). And the city with stranded german soldiers drunk is also unrealistic. Are those germans so smart to live a city on the frontline with just some soldiers cocking around?
The pace worked well until the first soldier died, then it became just a mess where the other wanders confuse. Also again we see indian and black soldiers mixed with british, when colonial troops were put different units. Doesn't surprise me, since i've seen that middle age scotland was full of black people according to movies like Mary Queen of the scots. I had really high expectations for this movie but I felt quite let down. If you want to shoot a movie set in a historical period, stick to realism. Otherwise do something like man in the high castle
I had to stop reading this - I haven't seen this yet & there are a bunch of items I think would be better put in "Spoilers"

loved this,great story,great picture,great sound track score,enjoyed the journey,brilliant entertainment,its a movie not a documentary.

I enjoyed too at the beginning, a lot, but then I was more and more just waiting for it to end. Not only because of the lack of realism, but mainly for the storyline. BTW, it has the most effective use of atmos i've ever heard. LFE too.

I'm really starting to think the military experts don't understand the art of storytelling.

Here's a film for realism-philes:

Quite incredible. But for different reasons to 1917, which is a film about comradeship, courage, sacrifice etc, not the historicity of the conflict.

I always say "never let the facts get in the way of a good story".
Ultra-realism in films is great and I applaud the creative teams that strive for it in something like this, but first and foremost a film is about it's story and characters. That's what brings me back. I'll watch this again despite the fact that it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny by historians. For me, it's close enough.

This is out today to buy on iTunes, but weirdly only in HD and with no Atmos track. Very unusual for Apple, so not sure what’s going on there. I have the UHD disc preordered anyway, but I wonder what the story is here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom