19" Widescreen monitors - any recommendations

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by la_guitars, Dec 28, 2006.

1. la_guitars

la_guitars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About to purchase a 19" widescreen monitor.

I've seen a few from Acer, Hanns G, Ebuyer, Dabs, Belinea and more from around the £130 to £150 mark.

most seem kinda alike from a spec point of view.

has anyone any experience of purchasing - anything I should be looking for ?

:thumbsup:

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
  3. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
  4. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    I bought the Acer 19" about 6 months ago and it has been faultless for me. An absolute steal at the price and far superior to my BenQ monitor that was far more expensive and broke after 8 months...:rolleyes:

5. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The belinea 19in widescreen is a winner, easy to setup, fast screen, very little lag and nice clean lines, however, whoever devised the daft method of driver installation needs shooting!

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if you'd like it to also have TV ability (which also means a whole host of inputs) my new Samsung SM940MW seems to be rather nice :)

havnt had the chance to game properly with it, but it certainly looks nice enough with desktop and video....

£250 from Argos....

nice thing about it is you get HDCP DVI input, VGA, Component, S-Vid, Composite plus stereo and aerial inputs :)

speaker slung underneath so not too wide as well....base mounted or wall mounting...

will feedback again once i've loaded up HL2 ;)

7. xelallah

xelallah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any sort of review for this - it seems to get good reviews elsewhere!

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    well i played some Half Life 2 on it the other night, although couldnt play for too long as at the time the monitor was somewhat around a 80degree angle to my left and i suffer problems already with my back/neck/joints..lol

however the image was rock solid in 16:10 widescreen on 1440x900 res.....nice enjoyable picture, good colours, blacks were pretty decent too from what i could tell (had the projector going at the same time, i have apple white walls, so to be honest it looks like i have the light on with the projector on...lol

real test will be giving it a go on CS:S, if it can cope with me playing that then its a good monitor....nothing like a nice 12 aside on Aztec with a water charge to see how well a monitor keeps up..lol

TV wise its only got Sky going in to it at the moment, probably wont get the chance to use the internal analogue tuner again as i've screwed it to a wall bracket now...lol.....but the Sky picture isnt bad, some things are better than others, some shows the crap bitrate of sky shows up more drastically than my projector shows it, but then my PJ was a £3k infocus 720p model..lol

speakers i havnt used properly either, only once, didnt notice them being too bad, nothing fantastic obviously, prossibly better than those cheapo 2.0 speakers most computers get shipped with but not by a lot...heh

the connections are the nicest thing, you get VGA, DVI, Component, SCART S-Vid and Composite, plus the aerial input obviously, also has audio input, presumably to help out the non-sound carrying inputs.....i imagine you can use a HDMI-DVI adaptor if you wanted to, but dont quote me....

for £250 i'm quite chuffed to be honest.....size wise its decent too, bezel isnt the most slimline (a lá Dell) but it isnt massive either, also the speaker is slung underneath which i prefer....

usual wall mounting vesa option....

hmm...cant think what else to say really..heh....oh, remote is reasonably well laid out.....

possible downsides, probably not the best LCD TV in the world for TV use, havnt tried computer with DVD in yet, must give a episode of Lost a go at some point to see.....but it isnt the worst picture i've seen either with normal TV, for the money its about what i'd expect to be honest, given the good connectivity...

other downside is lack of controls for TV picture, you get contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness (of which the last seems to do not very much...lol).....i would have liked the ability to fiddle with the backlight/gamma and one other which i always forget the name of...heh...
    however PC wise you get a bit more option to play around with....not a lot though...

but for gaming i dont think you need to worry too much, most graphics cards or ingame options account for that...

personally i'm happy with it.....wouldnt have minded getting a slightly bigger set purely for when i'm being lazy and want to stay in the main armchair but use the monitor for comptuer and the PJ for TV (writing this i'm the other way around, computer on PJ and TV on LCD TV..lol), but couldnt stretch the budget.....

so £250, Samsung SM940MW = :thumbsup:

I imagine it can be bettered, or will be by newer releases possibly coming out, but for the money and availability, i'd say give it consideration :)

9. xelallah

xelallah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, nice review. I'm very very tempted, but going to wait a while and see if anything better comes along over the next couple of months. There's also that Hanns G 26" HDTV to think about, not quite £50 more... we'll see :)