1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

19" suggestions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by marchban, Oct 27, 2004.

1. marchban

marchban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi peeps...

I want a LCD TFT mainly for playing PC games. I've got a DVI on my garphics card and therefore would like the screen to accomodate this. It appears to me that the bigger the screen the slower reponse rates generally are. Are there any 19" monitors that have 16ms or less response times and also have DVI on them?

If you use DVI is response time inportant?

If the screen will also act as a TV then that would be great.

Am I safer sticking with a lower cost 17" for PC gaming?

Final point, ergonomics and style is important. What is the sexiest LCD available (with the features outlined above)?

Cheers in advance

Dave

2. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    20" Apple Cinema Display is 16ms and looks stunning. DVI too, not sure if you wanna spend that much though.

I currently use a Samsung Porsche 17" 1280x1024 25ms display. I'll be upgrading soon Apple is top of the list.

3. marchban

marchban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I need DVI? If Im into games not movies, am I better getting a 19" with a fast reponse time rather than going for DVI.

The cost of DVI and low response is high. I can get a 12ms 19" for £100 less than one with 25ms with DVI ?!?!

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    lcds too laggy for gaming, stick to CRT

5. marchban

marchban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this really true? Im sure there are people out there with LCD TFTs that are more than happy with gaming performance. Can anyone confirm this?

6. marchban

marchban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I decide to go down the CRT route, are there any compact CRT's available? Dont want a massively ugly box sat on my desk!

7. phoTToniq

phoTToniq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know someone who is having great success with the dell 2001fp 20" monitor and games.

i twas 100 pounds off until today. They removed the offer just as i went to order :(

gutted. I'll wait for the christmas sale now.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  9. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a 20" DELL 2001FP (LCD TFT) and a 19" Iiyama Pro 455 (CRT) sitting side by side on my desk. The LCD blows the CRT away with gaming; lag is minimal, colours are so much richer and at 1600x1200 (native for the LCD) the CRT is just too flickery (even at it's max refresh rate).

Doom3 on the DELL 2001FP at 1600x1200 is something to behold. You'll need a fast graphics card though to make the most of the LCD. Luckily my 6800GT OC is up to the job :)

I think it looks pretty sexy too http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/images/products/large/200-23359.jpg

Better than the Pro 455 anyway http://www.ciao.co.uk/Iiyama_Vision_Master_Pro_455__5614527

10. phoTToniq

phoTToniq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damn it.. now im even more ****** off i missed the deal :(

11. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    phoTToniq - I'm sure it won't be long before you see the price come down again. As an IT guy we've been buying these monitors for the last 9 months and the price has drop dramatically in that time, until finally they were too tempting and I had to have one.

Best thing to do when ordering from DELL is talk to a sales person and ask them for a quote, rather than looking at the website. There are often deals that they can do that are not advertised on their website (or you'd never find). I bought two 2001FP (one each for me and a mate) with a system and saved even more money on the LCDs that way (approx £50 saving on each over the website quoted price).