1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

19" racking- anyone use them for yer kit?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nathan_silly, May 13, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok not sure if this is the right forum...

Thinking about replacing my Ikea Oppli TV Bench with a 19" racking system. It'll take up less floor space- and everything will go vertically.

For example this guy..

http://members.tripod.com/~BassPig/

I have about 11 items (two more items in the future planned)

Any comments appre. and rough costs, what comes with the kit, hidden costs, extra shelving etc.

Cheers.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Costs involved nathan ...

The actual rack - you will probably want one with front and rear vertical supports.

Shelf for each item without rack ears (the MC1 may have rack ears ... the rest probably wont). Decent strong shelves will cost from about £50 - £100 each.

Blanking panels for the gaps between units ... will want to leave a 2u gap between most things.

Hope this helps a little.

3. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So: for 11 items are we talking about nearly £1000

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    the rack in the link looks like mid atlantic racking to me - not cheap stuff. it is very good though a cooling system would be reccomended for it, can't see any change out of a grand though:eek:

5. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alternatively, have a look at the Docent range at Ikea. I can't find a UK web site link, but here's one for the US web site:
    http://www.ikea-usa.com/product_presentation/subcat.asp?id=6062

Look at the 21" shelf unit. You can buy an extension unit to make it about 180cm high. Just like most things in Ikea, it's very reasonably priced though you may want to modify it a little.

Taimur

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    19" come in a variety of heights, from about 22U to 48U, and should cost around £400. Then depending on how neat, and what features you want, you can get sliding shelves, non-sliding shelves. Your best bet is speak to a PC network supplier.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Taimur. Not sure whether a high & thin Ikea unit is strong enough really since it's made out of chipboard.

I'm not buying the Crown K1 now- so all my units will be standard size. 450mm width x 400mm deep. Something like that Docent will be perfect, if it's solid wood.

8. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do Ikea UK do the Docent range? I've not seen it before. I'm looking for a reasonable cabinet with glass doors. I'd really like to put a door on the back for easy cable access. I guess some bracing would be needed to stop it wobbling. I'd also put some ventilation in the door e.g. metal mesh.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if Ikea still carry Docent, but my 2002 catalogue has the Docent range. Page 78.

Just had a look on Ikea UK site, Docent range is no longer stocked.

10. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Docent range is definitely available in the Glasgow Ikea.

Taimur

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Dell do some nice racks.

Have a look on their website :D

Steff

12. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got the 2003 catalogue in front of me now and the Docent range is in there.

I was also in the Nottingham store about a week ago and it was on display in there too.

13. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dell have a massive web site - any clues as to where to find the racks?!

14. Gridlock_UK

Gridlock_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm just in the process of fitting my new AV setup into Docent cabinets. My hifi has been fitted in Docent furniture for the last year.

The cabinets are very sturdy despite their construction material.

However, beware! My shiny new Marantz SR4300 did not fit very well once cables were connected to the unit - although all other components fit fine. I ended up having to cut a slot to expose all audio & video ports at the back of the cabinet. However, I think this will help somewhat with cooling as well.

Apart from this, the Docent furniture has been a fine home for my stuff. The single width cabinets fit standard-size hifi components and the double-width fits two side-by-side (just).

Regards
    Gridlock_UK

15. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'm no expert but shouldn't 'bass pig' have saved some money for a bigger telly?:rolleyes:

16. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gridlock_UK,

What did you do to allow you to get at the back of your gear?

My plan is to have the 'rack' positioned so I can get around the back without moving it.

17. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gridlock

I was thinking of buying a Docent cabinet and not assembling it with the back panel to allow wires to go in and out. Do you think that would compromise its structural rigidity?

Taimur

18. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    flat lock- widescreen is still pretty much a niche market in the US- most people just have 4:3 sets.

Anyway, I dread to think how badly all them drivers effect the image (nice and purple!)

19. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taimur,

In my experience of Ikea and other self assembly furniture, the piece of hardboard on the back is essential to stop it all falling over. If you look at most 'backless' shelves there will be some sort of cross-bracing. This should still allow easy access. I want a door on the back to keep it tidy, but I think I'll have to brace it as well.

20. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I just read one of your previous threads and thought I'd throw this bit of information in for you too. Ikea also make a product called the Kaxas cabinet (the second A has a small circle on the top of it!). It's only available in a metallic "effect" grey colour, but it has nice smoked glass windows. If you want to see one without going to Ikea, apparently it supports the TV in the film "The Ring".

It looked quite nice in the Glasgow store, it's just the wrong colour for my living room

Taimur

21. Gridlock_UK

Gridlock_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steev

I have my kit in unit about 4' x 4' which is stand-alone next to my TV. This means I can slide it out at an angle to get around the back. Not something that would work if you are using some of the larger Docent units! Previously I had no rear access at all before I got my AV receiver.

Taimur

The back panels are nailed in and keep the whole thing square, but not weight-bearing.

Cheers
    Gridlock

22. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taimur,

I think I've seen the Kaxas and it looks pretty horrible. It really needs to have a wood finish to fit in.

I may just ask our chippie to make something. It may cost more than Ikea, but it's the only real way to get what I want/need.

I just need to work out all the dimensions, allowing for ventilation around each item. I'm also thinking of some trunking in the back to tidy the cables. Power down one side and signals on the other.

All this is still a couple of months off as the new house isn't finished. See my site for pictures.

23. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to a cabinet maker and gave him some dimensions and specifications (and a design from an italian range of cabinets!). He quoted me £890 :eek: +VAT

Taimur

24. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

I don't know if it's of any help but some B&Q stores in the South of England (I don't know about the rest of the country) have a range called the "it solutions" range.

These units have now been discontinued and are going pretty cheap if you can find any of them. The cabinets have a solid (veneered) chipboard back which you'd need to drill some holes into but overall they are very solid cabinets.

I'm just in the process of replacing my IKEA cabinet (can't remember the name) with these B&Q units because they are much deeper.

Also, you do need to be careful with IKEA cabinets to ensure that they are wide enough to get full size kit into them. Much of the stuff that IKEA sells has shelves that are too narrow to get full size kit into. My current IKEA unit is 440mm wide and will only just take regular kit. I've had to take the end cheeks off my JVC D-VHS machine to get it into the unit.

Nathan ...... I just had a look at the photos you posted with your original query. With speakers like that, I'm surprised that the owner can get a picture on the TV. I've got a 1960's pair of Acoustic Research Ar-3s (sadly not Ar-3a) which sit at either end of an Ikea Oppli (?) bench and I get picture staining from the magnets on my 4:3 Barco monitor if I'm not careful.

Brian