1891 Uk Census - What does this say??

Thought someone here could help me. Currently researching the English side to my family tree and am a little stuck with a record on the 1891 census. The attached document shows 2 columns which show the town/city in which the people were born, I think I can make out the bottom entry as Marylebone, London but I am really struggling with the top entry.

Capture-7.jpg

Anyone care to guess what it could say?

Thanks

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Like Grangey said, It definitely looks like Strand. Compare the r in Marylebone to the r in Strand. Plus you can see a faint line on top of what should be the t.

Iccz

Definitely not an 'o' you can tell by the cursive connector being at the bottom as opposed to the top.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
check this out newspaper from 1891:

23 Jan 1865 - Advertising

Also, be 'careful .to observe .that the:address on .the.' covers' of the Pots, and labels of the Boxes, is "'244, Straind, London,"

Might be having the same problem reading it we are :)

Has anybody attempted a family tree before? I have subscribed to ancestry.co.uk which has been very useful in getting most of the information together, the problem I have is when I need further confirmation of something, I wrongly assumed I would be able to download birth certificates from the site but it only gives the location of the document, allowing you to order it from the archives at £22 a certificate :eek: Mad amount of money.

Is there a cheaper way, am I missing a trick here?

logiciel

Last edited:

the_jinj

Might help to see more of the certificate to be sure - that way you can see how letters have been written in other words. That said, it does look like Strand.
Also have a look at rootschat forum, the members on there are experts at deciphering handwriting and can also help with your search :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom