18 years since I last upgraded my speakers.. Requesting help, advice and suggestions. Looking for a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup (keeping my sub)

nero0410

Distinguished Member
So it's been about 18 years since I last upgraded my main speakers, centre and surrounds, though I still think they are great!

I'm looking for something of an upgrade rather than a side grade, there seems to be a lot on offer and I have a budget of £1500.

My room dimentions are:
18ft long, 12ft wide and 8ft high ceilings.
My screen is on the larger wall, it'll have a 10ft cabinet in front of it that I am currently building, my seating position is 10ft from the screen with my sofa back up against the wall.
The Main L+R channel are either side of the screen with the atmos speakers on top, Center in the middle, Surround L+R on the back wall in line with the front L+R but a little higher, and sub placed next to seating a foot or so away from the wall (The sub just sounds best there to me).

Always very awkward for me as I need to buy blind as I can't get anywhere for a demo..

This is my current setup:

Denon AVR-X3300W - Keeping for now, but may upgrade to the X3700 or X4700 for 5.1.4.
Mission 772 front speakers - Upgrading
Mission 77c center speaker - Upgrading
Mordaunt Short MSB20 Rear Speakers - Upgrading
PSB Imagine XA Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers - Upgrading/Side Grading
SVS PB1000 300w 19-270hz Ported Sub - Keeping

As you can see, I'm keeping my current avr, but may upgrade it rather soon.. but only if a 5.1.4 system is worth it in my space, if not, I'll happily keep it as I only need what I need. Though even dolby said that just have front dolby atmos speakers make up for 85% of the sound stage, so not sure that spending more would be worth it for that extra 15% as it's a lot more money.

Main uses are 70% Movies and TV Shows, 30% gaming.
Devices I use are:
  • nVidia Shield
  • Apple TV 4K
  • Samsung Blu Ray Player
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Xbox One S (May get the newer one at a later date)
  • Optoma UHZ65UST + 120" Vividstorm Screen

I live in a ground floor flat so in ceiling speakers are out of the question, and far too fiddly for me, so the atmost speakers need to be up firing, unless they can be placed on a wall at the top of the ceiling.

After some looking about I found a cheap option with these Klipsch:
I have no idea what they are like quality wise, and having in built atmos speakers saves having to have additional cabinets on top of the rear ones if I opted for 5.1.4.. they look ok, though I've never seen a home cinema speaker with a horn type tweeter thingy.

The other ones I like the look of are the Dali Oberon Series:
Front L+R and Rear L+R - Dali Oberon 1 Bookshelf Speaker
Centre - Dali Oberon Vokal Centre Speaker
Atmos - Dali Alteco C-1 Speakers (Pair)
They even look fantastic! Though it's another brand that is new to me, so not sure what kind of sound they produce, warm, bright and weather or not they'd match my amp.

The other ones I like the look of are the Monitor Audio Bronze series, a brand I do know, but I'm not sure if they would be better than the Dali with my setup:
Front L+R and Rear L+R - Monitor Audio Bronze 100 Speakers (6th Gen)
Centre - Monitor Audio Bronze C150 Centre Speaker (6th Gen)
Atmos - Monitor Audio Bronze AMS Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers

Of course the other option is to stick with what I have.

Any advice, thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
With the couch against rear wall and if you can´t move it forward you might be best of with .2 as you can`t get the surround pair slightly behind of listeners with the bouncers on top. Also this is worst time to buy av-receiver as new models are coming later in the year plus moving to X3700H would feel silly as it will sound exactly same as your 3300w which even supports the audussey editor app to get the most out of the unit. If you going to do it wait when these current ones go on sale or if the new ranges come up with nice features like optional support for Dirac Live etc. then it would make sense to wait that one to get greater upgrade. The current model has only one 8k input and that is going to change with the new model coming..

Pass the Klipsch system, it´s the cheap Reference range which is not par with the rest models you mentioned. It´s very cheap line in US, in UK highly overpriced! Also don`t buy speakers with the atmos modules inside if possible cause you then have less to play with angling. As you can`t move couch you want to have the adjustability to find the sweet spot for the bouncers.

Oberons are brighter sounding than Bronzes, both have their strenghts and it`s not possible to say which you would like more. Comparable model to B100 would be Oberon 3, not the smaller 1 which is smaller than Bronze 50.

However as you are looking to buy from PT then i would advice that you consider MA Silver 100 and C150 strongly cause these are better speakers than the ones in your list for very low price! Also they should be more noticeable step up from your Missions. Gloss black and Oak wood veneer are still in stock. This 6G range is soon sold out so the last ones are selling dirty cheap.

Only minus i can think of is that the upfiring Bronze AMS doesn`t come in gloss black/oak and the size is different. If you can get past that then i would gladly get the Silver LCR cause as mentioned they will be more noticeable upgrade with nicer finish. The next range from Silvers costs 2700£ for front three so this is what i would call the sweet spot! Keeps the upgraditis at bay.

AVF gave them best buy in their class. They aren´t too bass heavy even if the come with 8" drivers. MA has that little bit of extra top end energy so it`s not too "flat" sounding, but not as bright as Dalis lower ranges at least to my ears. Your receiver is very fine for all speakers no worries on that.

password1

Suspended
Those Mission speakers are equivalent to the Mission QX series and I doubt the Klipsch set you linked to are an upgrade, probably a sideways or minor upgrade at best. No point wasting money on a sideways move, forget Bronze, LX and other budget ranges. Go minimum Silvers, QX, etc. Taking into account inflation, those Klipsch are cheaper in today's money.

I'd be looking at quality over quantity of speakers, i.e. Higher end Mission ZX rather than QX or LX

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If your budget is pushing your choice, then may just upgrade the front three as this is where you'll hear the biggest improvements. Adding another SVS PB1000 will give you extra oomph to as an upgrade path. As for upgrading the front three, I feel in doing this, you'll be happy with the sound giving you a little budget for Atmos duties and when you're ready to replace the rear's, the extra cost seem a little easier

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Hi @nero0410,

I hope you are well. As @password1 as advised you above, I would also advise forgoing the MA Bronze. Though an older generation, I owned the Bronze 5 towers (FL + FR + side + rear surrounds) + matching centre in a 5.1, though I thought they were great, you can probably get better for not much more. I also briefly owned the Silver 200, which were a good step up. Note, my use case is similar to yours.

I highly recommend my KEF TDM system that I am selling, it's one of the best systems I've had in my home cinema and I would bet they sound better than many £2k systems on the market today - just a hunch! And seeing as I've recently come from the great JBL SAMs, and also chose the KEFs as my system of choice over my great XTZ M6. I wanted to keep them, but I can't afford to, nor do I have the space, really. It's far below your budget and I think it must be one of the best bang for buck systems you can get still. You can read some of my thoughts about it in my advert and in depth in my recent write up. The link for that is in my advert.

Best regards,

fallinlight

Last edited:

Jester1066

If your budget is pushing your choice, then may just upgrade the front three as this is where you'll hear the biggest improvements. Adding another SVS PB1000 will give you extra oomph to as an upgrade path. As for upgrading the front three, I feel in doing this, you'll be happy with the sound giving you a little budget for Atmos duties and when you're ready to replace the rear's, the extra cost seem a little easier
Agree with this. I'd strongly recommend doing the upgrade in stages. Doing this will allow you to spend the majority of your budget on either the front 3 speakers or a 2nd sub (if you can accommodate it correctly). You can then save/replenish funds to do the rear & atmos speaker upgrade later.

Far better value and improvement in sound quality, doing it this way imo 😊👍🏼

Itsthesmell

Try dali Rubicon if your amp can drive 4 ohm speakers. They have a very open sound cos the speaker gets out of the way.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom