18 month old has just dropped camera in the bath!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Curry Monster, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    My lovely daughter Chloe (18 months old) has decided that my 3 year old Panasonic NVMX5B cam corder would work better in the bath with her toys!

The camera when she removed it from the computer desk was uploading a tape of her playing in the snow for the first time to my pc for writting to DVD.

The camera now is full of water and i think the tape is wrapped around the head etc but cant get the door open!

Anybody offer any advise for the tape and camera or are they both DEAD!!!

Am I best claiming on my house insurance for the repair(if poss) or the extended warranty that was taken out when new if I can find the receipt (and if its still in warranty)

The camera was bought from COMET. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    I'd say go for the warranty first if it still has one because this won't have any cost impact on you next year.

I'm sure it will qualify under your household policy but you will lose your no claims and your policy cost will rise next year.

Steve

3. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Thanks. Has anyone ever claimed with COMET for a similar item?

4. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Just spoken to comet they say to take the camera into the local store...

5. gkinghrn

gkinghrn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    IF it was OFF at the time there was always a possibility that uif dried out FULLY it would have been ok but you ahve to be quick to get the battery out too and usually with these things you need power to get the battery out...:mad: so you can't win. I assume you tried to turn it on etc when wet so imagine all sorts of things are now screwed inside it...I suspect it'll be unrepairable to be honest...but best of luck....Still look on the bright side you could have had it plugged into the mains when she dropped it in the bath so in the scale of things not a bad result...

6. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Hi,Thanks for the reply

The camera was on when it went for a swim...I had left the camera conected to the pc uploading shots of my little monsters first time out in the snow!

The camera doesnt want to do anything now...i would imagine the tape is knackered but is there places that can repair them!?