1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

18,20h,HT280?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bacardi, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Bacardi

Bacardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

OK, newbie question/s. I'm thinking of updating my old PJ and after doing research, reading reviews etc, Sim2 always seem to come out on or very near the top. Had a demo of the 20H at my local Sevenoaks last week and the quality of the image spoke for itself.

However, I'm a little fuzzy over the differences between models and their web site doesn't help much. According to the salesman, the 18 is identical to the 20h apart from the lack of HDMI. However, reading the other 18 thread, the colour wheel is bigger and the, according to the spec's, the contrast is lower (as well as being slightly noisier and in a cheaper case), so not too identical? The HDMI is not an issue at the moment but, as these PJ are a longer term investment with their long lasting bulbs, it may be in the future. So I'm thinking better to buy the 20H and be future proof?

So now, I'm wondering if another £500 (a 'relatively' small increase) is worth spending for the HT280 which, as I understand it from the salesman, has a brighter lamp and according to the specs, higher contrast than the 20H. This would be at the top end of my budget so is it worth the extra? Are there any other advantages?

I know there is a large price difference between the 18 and the 280, even though they use the same chip, but I would rather spend more if it's worth it. From experience, you usually get what you pay.

Any thoughts or advise greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Paul

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Paul,

The best advice I can give you is to see the units yourself.
    The 280 is a better looking PJ (same case as the 300E) than the Domino but it uses the same lamp amd light engine and is no brighter.
    I would consider the Domino 30H at £4500 being a worthwhile upgrade on the models you mention.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. Omardris

Omardris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

Jeff is right.
    You must decide with the eyes.
    Perhaps another note:
    The quality of the picture is improved with a digital connection.
    Also at good projectors.
    Every DVD-Player will have HDMI in the near future.
    Therefore I only can recommend to buy a projector with DVI or HDMI.

Much success in the search.

PF

4. Bacardi

Bacardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Jeff & PF,

Thanks very much for the reply.

PF, you seem to be confirming my thoughts, and as I will be looking to upgrade the DVD player in the future, I imagined that I would miss out by not having a digital connection. This does make sense so I'll discount the 18.

I agree, the 280 is a better looking unit, but, Jeff, your price for the 30H looks appealing! Perhaps I need a ride down the West Sussex before your special offer ends?

So, it looks like my choice should be between the 20H & 30H. However, at the moment, my DVD player only has composite output so I'm wondering if I should go for the 20 and spend the savings on a better front end (I guess it's the same as the old Hi-Fi adage, garbage in...... garbage out). If I went for the 30, would it be a waste of money and the extra resolution not be apparent?

Thanks again
    Paul

5. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Paul,

My advice to you would be to go for the best projector you can afford.
    Some of the modestly priced DVD players from Pioneer, like the 668 and 868 produce an excellent picture via component or HDMI.
    With HD-DVD and Blue Ray around the corner, I would certainly not be spending money on a High End DVD player right now.

Consider an HCPC such as the UVEM as it is very much future proofed and you can add new HD drives as they come to market.

Re. the new Domino 30H (HD2+ DMD), it is giving the the same performance as the 300Xtra did and that was an £8k projector.

Jeff :rtfm:

6. Omardris

Omardris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,
    Sorry, Jeff is right again.
    I have both the 20H and the XTRAH tested.
    The 30H is comparable with the XTRAH (HD2+).
    My picture has a breadth of 2.5 m.
    The XTRAH with 1280 X 720 was considerably better.
    For the future HDTV and high-density DVD are also interesting.
    The technical Inovation is so fast that one may not buy any old model.

PF

7. Bacardi

Bacardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks again chaps! Your advice is very much appreciated.

Hadn't heard of Blu-Ray until someone mentioned it today. Technology moves at such a pace it's difficult to keep up when you haven't been looking for a couple of years! The world is moving toward HD so I think I'll push for the higher res PJ. Hopefully the PJ should give a few years good service and still be ahead of the game. ..... Oh dear.....my bank account won't like it though! :)

Cheers again
    Paul

8. Bacardi

Bacardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

Just bumping this to the top to let you know I have joined the 30H owners club. Had it a month or so. Very happy with it, even though I'm only running it through the SVHS socket at the moment, so more improvement to come. Just got to upgrade the front end now . So thanks again for the advise given above.

Cheers
    Paul