1706 and 6 channel stereo

Tri11

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have bought my first reciever, the Denon 1706, and have found it a good place to start. I have at the moment, due to mainly music listening, a set of biwired MA B2's in "front A" and a set of MA B1's in "front B", with some Denon SC-M73 in the surround connections. In 5 channel stereo this gives me music pleasure.

However what I'd like to know is, if I added a pair of speakers to the surround back, and a centre speaker, and set the reciever to 6 channel stereo, would this have music coming out of all the speakers? That is all 4 pairs of stereo and the centre?

Thanks, Phil

Well at least get a centre speaker for real surround sound, but at least to match your fronts as this will give the missing voice frequencies you will need

Hi

You could do that. Just set the Denon to 5ch/7ch Stereo and have both Front A and B speakers selected. Only word of warning is you may overload the 1706 as both Front A and Front B share amplification. Personally I'd run just one set of front speakers at a time.

Ok will do, thanks anyways guys. *edit* I cant believe I missed all this. I usually read manuals thoroughly. Thanks so much guys, you may have cleared up a lot just by knocking some sense into me. Think i'll leave the "stereo B" out for now and connect via Stereo A, surround and surround back. Also, bi-wiring has gone. I sort of know how its done, but want to make sure i get it right.

Phil

Ok, so now I have the B2's setup single wired to Stereo A, the B1's single wired as the surround channels, and the Denon SC-M73's wired as the surround back. However, the 6 channel stereo mode only plays music out of the stereo, surround and the Left channel of the surround back.

Is there a way to get sound out of the surround back right aswell? The idea is 3 sets of stereo speakers. I have 2 and an extra surround back, but i'd like all 3 sets of stereo playing at once.

Thanks again, Phil

In the main speaker setup menu make sure you have selected that you have two surround back speakers.

Thanks for putting up with me, lol, I am going through the manual but there is still one thing that is made a little bit unclear. When scrolling through the speakers setup menu, I have all speakers set to 'small'. Is this correct? I was thinking that perhaps 'large' would potentially overload the speakers. To remind you, the speakers are MA Bronze B1 and B2, and Denon SC-M73.

Thanks again, Phil

All speakers small, all bass to sub, 80hz crossover is a good starting point. Alternatively you could try the Front Left and Right set to Large, all others Small and the Bass to LFE & MAIN. Crossover still at 80hz. :)

I have no subwoofer, since the neighbours and parents would kill me if i watched films with it ;) . I have it set to no sub, so the fronts are on large. Does this mean I can ignore the crossover frequency? It is set on the default 200hz at the moment.

Thanks again, Phil :smashin:

Aha. The crossover still applies if you have any of the speakers set to small. Ideally you'll want to set it to around the lowest frequency that the speakers you've set to small go down to. e.g 100hz.

Ah, ok. So the MA B1's go down to 55Hz, and the Denon SC-M73 go down to 43Hz. The B2's (set to large) go down to 45Hz. Should I then set the cross over frequency to 60hz?

Thanks again, Phil :smashin:

Good stuff. Thanks a lot Jase, I appreciate this help :thumbsup: . So much to learn it seems, good thing I find it interesting :cool: .

I guess for now I can sit back and enjoy it, woo! Thanks again, you have put my mind at ease.

Phil :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom