17 year old learner

Freedom810

Established Member
Reaction score
Not long till I pass my test now, should have it in November.
I just sold my little Renault Clio 1.2 for £500 which I used to practice in while having lessons, I sold it as I wanted to save for a newer / safer car as I felt if I crashed in it I'd instantly die....is that weird?
Anyway while looking at various cars I thought I'd be a bit silly and look at 1.6 engines knowing full well the insurance would sky rocket.

I looked at this 1994 BMW 3 Series LINK
Out of interest I hopped over to confused.com and Quinn direct gave me a quote of £900 :confused:

Is there something insanely wrong here? (I'm guessing so)

Oh and if anybody has any suggestions of cars for newer drivers they would be welcome :thumbsup: Thanks.

Chris

If you plan on getting a Beemer, remember that they are RWD (rear wheel drive) and will behave very differently to what you are used to when going beyond every day driving. Your Clio, and I guess your instructors car are FWD (front wheel drive) and they tend to scare you into driving safely, as if pushed hard they are unpleasant as they slip into under-steer, which will make you drive more safely. A RWD car when pushed, especially on a slippery surface will more likely react with over-steer, which is fun and exciting. But if you don't know what you are doing, you may well make a mess. If you do get one, book yourself onto a skid-pan training day to learn how to balance the car in a slide and correct it, or at least find somewhere quiet, preferably private land, and slowly build your speed as your feel for the car and experience allows your confidence to teach you what is happening and how to control or correct it.

or, conversely, drive well within your limits for a good while...
don't trash your insurance, you are a young driver, it costs a fortune...

Whilst RWD cars ARE more fun and rewarding to drive, FWD cars are generally accepted as being a far safer option for those without advanced driving skills... such as new drivers.
Not trying to put you off the BMW, just don't go looking for excuses to slide it... it is still capable of killing you or someone else when you cock it up.
And most young drivers do.

I did.

Oh, and good luck!!:smashin:

Last edited:
Well a 1994 316i is a Insurance Group 11 car, so the figure you got does not sound right at all - mainly because as a 17yr old learner you shouldn't even be able to get insured on a group 11 car, let alone for a reasonable price; I would double check that quote and ring them up to be sure.

Also, a 1.6 is okay in a small car like a Fiesta or Clio, but in a car like that BMW, it's underpowered and won't give you anywhere near even average performance IMHO - e.g. 0-60 in 316i is 12.6s (even slower though because of the age) and a 1.4 Clio is 11s.

Last edited:
Yeah I was pretty sure it was a messed up quote, and the RWD puts me off to be honest, it sounds scary, for a new driver anyway.

I just don't like the thought of having a standard new drivers car, the ones you seem to be forced to get by insurance e.g. Corsa, 106, Mini's etc. I wanted something a little different to what most people get as there first car, I'm pretty sure its not possible in this country though, due to the horrible insurance prices. :thumbsdow

I was 18 and just passed my test. I'm with Quinn, so give them a call.

This is my E30 316i
DSCF1819.jpg

As with rear wheel drive I've never had any problems. Rear wheel drive is fun and I've practiced in the wet in a safe area with not cars and got used to controlling a drift.

I could have gone with the E36 but the E30 is a far rarer and fun car. E30's have a retro classic look, E36's just look average.

Just dont go doing this in public
YouTube - bmw 316i drift raining

Last edited:
Wow, you have a nice car yinujim!! Its nice to know that perhaps it is possible then, leaves a few more options open for when I do pass, I agree your car has a more retro look and I actually really like it!

I guess I will phone Quinn nearer the time when I do decide what car I'm going with. Its strange how Quinn always turn out the cheapest though.

Oh and I won't be doing skids like that on the road! I intend to stick to the limits :)

Was your quote for £900 as a learner of with a full UK licence because most insurance companys will put the price up once you pass.

£900 is very cheap for a BMW aswell, i use to pay that sort of money on a 1.3 Nova when i first passed.

Was your quote for £900 as a learner of with a full UK licence because most insurance companys will put the price up once you pass.

£900 is very cheap for a BMW aswell, i use to pay that sort of money on a 1.3 Nova when i first passed.

Yeah it was with a provisinal (£900), just did a check with a full UK auto, £1800,knew it was too good to be true :(

Its £1500 for me.

My car

Pedestrian friendly: My front end will chop them in half:)

Its good if your on a rampage I guess? :thumbsup:
£1500 as your 18 I'd guess, I could just buy a stupidly cheap beamer and put money towards the Insurance (as my dad pays for it anything under £1000) Though a BMW for under £500 may be a little stupid. Settle for a chavvy 106 maybe? :confused:

Yeah it was with a provisinal (£900), just did a check with a full UK auto, £1800,knew it was too good to be true :(

Welcome to the world of driving. You seriously need to be looking at cars with insurance group 1-3 for atleast the first year.

Its good if your on a rampage I guess? :thumbsup:
£1500 as your 18 I'd guess, I could just buy a stupidly cheap beamer and put money towards the Insurance (as my dad pays for it anything under £1000) Though a BMW for under £500 may be a little stupid. Settle for a chavvy 106 maybe? :confused:

Cars like 106's and fiesta's were only a fraction cheaper on insurance. I bought mine for £300.

I think as your 17 you should get the cheapest car you can insure then once you get 1 year no claims bonus get a BMW or something nice.

(I just reached 1000 posts!)

im payin £115 pm at 23yrs old on a Leon FR TDI, even at 17 i was paying close to £1700 a year on a 1.2 corsa

To be fair, it's mainly because young (particularly male) drivers kick insurers in the arse...

My first car was a Datsun Sunny 1.3, I crashed it 5 days after passing my test because it was too slow overtaking a truck and a car came in the opposite direction. If I'd been in something faster I would have easily been past and on my way but even though it was a long, clear stretch of downhill road the lorry could speed up too and I didn't make it.

So I went out and bought a Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia...quite posh for a 17 year old and quite a bit faster but cheaper to insure than the equivalent XR3. Haven't crashed since as I have always had faster cars and been able to safely overtake.

Go for the BMW.

My first car was a Datsun Sunny 1.3, I crashed it 5 days after passing my test because it was too slow overtaking a truck and a car came in the opposite direction. If I'd been in something faster I would have easily been past and on my way but even though it was a long, clear stretch of downhill road the lorry could speed up too and I didn't make it.

So I went out and bought a Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia...quite posh for a 17 year old and quite a bit faster but cheaper to insure than the equivalent XR3. Haven't crashed since as I have always had faster cars and been able to safely overtake.

Go for the BMW.

You've just made the point that young learner drivers are inexperienced because you should of known the limits of your car.

I agree you do need a car with abit of power though, i hate being stuck behind slow cars when trying to merge on the motorway because they cant get infront of lorrys they end up slamming on the brakes at the last minute.

So I went out and bought a Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia...quite posh for a 17 year old and quite a bit faster

This is why I like the idea of a BMW, its something different to what most people have as there first car, I may feel the fuel prices but the cool factor would certainly make up for it.

Go for the BMW.

Taking finances into account yinujim mentions his BMW was £300, I'd be really stretched on insurance costs so my max would be say £500/£600 for a BMW, it just sounds like a silly price for a BMW, is it not?
(I'm a noobie when it comes to motors really)

NCAP quotes for 1997 316i

The 3-series' cabin became structurally unstable during the frontal impact and the driver ran a risk of life-threatening chest injury. The distance by which the steering wheel was displaced backwards posed further risks of injury, while stiff aggressive structures in the lower facia area also added greatly to the chances of the driver sustaining serious knee, thigh and pelvis injuries....

....The cabin became unstable, the driver's door lost structural integrity and the beam supporting the facia became partly separated from the car's side

....After the test the dummy's left foot was found to have become trapped between the car's firewall and the floor

....The impact resulted in excessive footwell intrusion, with the brake pedal being pushed rearwards by 321mm (12.6in). The standard-fit airbag triggered late and failed to offer adequate protection; the steering wheel also intruded too far into the car's cabin

These comments could probably apply to many cars from this time but it is also worth remembering that parts and labour can be expensive unless your good with a wrench.

It is always worth spending a few Pounds and checking it is not stolen/mileage etc and I would arrange for someone to check out the mechanical side of the car. As with any car, be fussy and walk away if there are any big faults or issues. If you do fancy a BMW I would be tempted to look at the owners club, you might pick up a loved car and these are great places for information

You could pick up a half decent E30 316i for £500-600 but E30's in good condition are getting rare, especially if you want a coupe.

Even the E30 316 with its 90bhp 1.8 engine is group 12 insurance. You can go quicker for less if you buy a hot hatch.

You've just made the point that young learner drivers are inexperienced because you should of known the limits of your car.

Absolutely but when you're overtaking a truck doing 30 on a long, straight road you don't take into account that on a slope the lorry will keep up with you to 55mph so in a small, underpowered car with 4 mates in you really can't go anywhere fast and following a 30mph lorry is too damned frustrating! I would always advise a younger person to get the most powerful car they can afford to insure, unless they are minted and can afford a Porsche or something, that's just daft.

But on the other hand, give a young driver a fast car and there more likely to crash due to speed. Anyone can plant there foot on the go fast pedal but what happens when things go wrong, especially in older cars.

My Mk1 MR2 can be lots of fun but ive learnt over the years how to control and drive a mid-engined RWD car.

My Z4 on the other hand is easier to drive and alot more forgiving due to the tech keeping you straight and on the road. Its very hard to get the car to break away with traction control on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom