1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17" TFT (DVI)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by danjaq, Apr 25, 2005.

1. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Suggestions are needed please! I am returning my Acer AL1714 as I'm not THAT impressed with display quality and thought DVI would be more future-proof.

So, I would be appreciative if someone could suggest a suitable (not mega expensive) DVI-compatible card and, of course, a 17" monitor. I have been ploughing through eBuyer, Savastore and looking at reviews etc, but it would be nice to have a helping-hand!

Thanks!

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    I'm using a Iiyama E431 which is very good.

3. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I bought the iiyama e435s a few months ago when pcworld/dixons had them on offer. Absolutely stunning screen with good brightness, crisp picture, DVI and a 10ms response rate so perfect for gaming too. Only thing that lets it down is the rubbish speakers that are built into it but are ok for windows clicks and sounds I guess. I've just had a look on ebuyer and they dont seem to have them in stock at the moment although they had them a few weeks ago so maybe they have sold out. Pcworld claim to have them still though, not my favorite place to shop but not a bad price http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...&sku=141357&category_oid=-9834&fm=0&sm=5&tm=1

4. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Okay, it is only 350:1 (like my AL1714) and thought that was a little on the low spec. How do you rate DVI mate?

5. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is 350-1 low on spec? I'm not too sure to be honest, all I know is it looks a lot clearer and brighter than the majority of monitors out there at a similar price range. DVI does improve the pic a little over the VGA although it isn't much really.

6. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I used to own an Iiyama E431S. Good picture, good reviews and a good price. Of course I succumbed to the widescreen bug but that's a different story. You may want something with faster pixel time but you haven't provided a price range or usage. If you take a look at:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/labs/208/lcd-monitors/products.html

They've reviewed a wide range of TFTs and the Relisys TL795-RU comes pretty highly recommended so that might be worth a look. And:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/126/17in-tft-monitors/products.html

Is a roundup of 17 inch TFTs from February for all price ranges. The Relisys also scores highly in this test and at ~£139 is good value if you're on a budget.

7. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks, been to those sites before and had noted the Sharp one already. My budget would encompass up to £250 tops and then there is the matter of a DVi-graphics card....sooo many to chose and I have no idea! Help!!

8. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I have a iiyama E431S and its got good reviews and a great pic. The only downer is its dropped a £100 in price since I bought it 9 months ago. :(

A good bargain for anyone looking for a new LCD screen. BTW I use DVI and the difference between VGA is noticable. Well worth the cash. :)

10. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks 'SimonInd' and 'Razor'. It is a bloody nightmare weighing up the pros and cons of all the different types of TFTs out there. I look at the reviews on eBuyer and Savastore and then places like PC Pro and I am all over the place. All I know is that my AL1714 (non-DVI version) is okay but for the money I should have bought higher spec. Afterall I do not want to replace it for a fair few years.

I will probably chose one of the ones from the PC Pro list, now it is just a matter of deciding which one of the top rated ones to get. Is the main price difference between those ones on PC Pro, just because of the brand names?

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I bought the iiyama on the strength of a review in pc pro, in fact iiyama have always had an excellent rep when it comes to monitors. The iiyama also has a good response time, essential for playing gams.

:)