17 min bug on upgraded V1 boxes

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by bobbles, Aug 20, 2004.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There have now been around 7 reports of the 17min bug still affecting V1 boxes. However, all these reports have come from very early versions of the V1 box.

9F 2002 - 9F 2006

I have a V1, version 9F 2024 and a 120Gb Maxtor HDD

I have finished copying everything I want to keep from the planner, despite the copy function not working properly last night.

I have power cycled the machine 3 from standby and around 9 times from dual record, sometimes whilst watching something else from the planner.

My HDD is currently 93% full. I did have it upto 96%, I have deleted some recordings and some are set to keep.

I have absolutely no sign of any bug :)

It does look like the 17 min bug is only affecting early V1 models. I can never be 100% certain of this. However, no one can be confidfent their HDD will never fail, they all will (even if it takes 69 years ;) )

My final test will be to fill the drive completely and then to power cycle a few more times.

When the 17 min bug still existing on V1 reports started appearing I did consider a V2 with a 250Gb drive. However, this would cost around £300.

The V3 goes on sale for £400 in October. It is made by Thompson who made the TIVO box so it is not unreasonable to expect added functionality from a software update; the current boxes may not be able to handle this.

I would also expect the price to drop significantly upon release. Sub £300 after Christmas???

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i spoke too soon

I filled the box, deleted one small recording then power cycled about 5 times.

I thought all was well. However, the very last two recordings both had the bug. Every other single recording was fine.

Both recordings could be x12 until the end, both were 64 min long. The bug actually is not too bad. It only seems to stop you defining a start point after 17min and you can not ff at x30 rate.

However, it took around 18 power cycles to cause the bug. It was caused from a reboot during dual record. It only happened when the drive was full.

For day to day use I doubt my box will ever get near that capacity and it is very unusual for it to need rebooting, I am quite happy with these odds until I upgrade for a new box.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Thompson of course had no input into the software that is TIVO, they just cobbled together a HD system coupled to a mpegII encoder/decoder. Unless SKY license the TIVO OS all or in part they can never have anything other than series link style of operation. Sorting/title matching etc are all patented by TIVO, they thought ahead:)

The price has got to drop, it just does not make any sense at £399 even allowing for a big mark up for Thomson to get them onboard.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I'm still quite surprised I've never upgraded the hard drive in my SKY+, come close to filling it up especially during a motor sport weekend and even got as far as ordering a 5400rpm Samsung but cancelled when it turned out to be out of stock.

I don't think I will be too disappointed if my next SKY hardware purchase was the HD receiver/recorder and not a SKY+ with bigger hard drive:)

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good point about Thompson but it must have added functionality over the standard box to justify the price, otherwise it is a rip off.

Actually, that could be the case, we are talking sky here.

I would still consider upgrading the HDD it cost me under £50 and was incredibly easy to do.

Even when other machines offer an EPG sky+ still has the dual record advantage.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    You would hope there was more to it for that price but I am thinking along the lines of sweetening the deal for Thomson at least in the short term to get them to build the box for SKY. I imagine profit margins for the existing manufacturers are quite tight and digibox sales are going to decline significantly and perhaps investing in a new production line for a SKY+ variant isn't high on the agenda for companies SKY may have approached before doing a deal with Thomson.

Time will tell, we might all get a surprise come the offical launch but then again we might not:)

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    Surely the new Sky+ box is going to have component output for High Definition - if Sky are planning to launch the Service in 24 months then surely they will want an installed HD capable user base prior to that time? Sky+ 160 would seem the best opportunity even if the component output is not enabled until nearer the time. That would justify the cost abit more....and we know they are going to start a pay-as-you-go MP3/WMA music download service (for which the Sky+ 160 USB ports will be vital) so there is another reason to upgrade.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    A HD receiver for EURO1080 is retailing at £350 and that doesn't include twin tuners or hard drive recording so considering SKY's track record an extra £50 for all the extra bits isn't likely. The new SKY+160 is a standard definition STB only useful for the current broadcast standard and SKY have yet to announce or perhaps even internally decided what codec their HD system will use and that is the key to the entire project.
    Either way I would want a damn site more than a 160gig hard drive in a High Definition recording system:)

Got a link to the official press release on the music download service?
    Last I heard SKY had said there were no solid plans for using the USB ports but that wasn't from an offical source either:)

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can not see it myself, I would imagine a V4 will be released to coincide with HD

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    Thinking about it your probably right - the original Sky+ came early 2002 (or late 2001? I can't remember) and so will possibly get a makeover every 2yrs - which, as you say, will tie in with the HD launch. Plus I suppose 160GB HDD is way to small to record High Def content anyway if encoded in MPEG2.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    No - just going by comments here and there in the mainstream Press. From what I've read I thought it had been pretty much confirmed? Obviously not if info hasn't reached the forum yet.