• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

17" mikomi, beko or jvc????

ficko

Established Member
Hi all,

newbie here about to take first steps into the lcd world *gulp*. looking for some advice from you professionals.

i'm looking for a low cost 17" w/s lcd around £250 -£300 from the high street. to be used in my 2nd lounge, mostly terrestrial tv and DVD's including NTSC DVD's. will be used a reasonable amount.

i'm looking at the beko @ £250 from tesco, here.......
http://www.beko.co.uk/default.asp?docId=12760&productGroupId=12729&ff=1

or the mikomi @ £250 from argos here....
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...ns>C$cip=36787.LCD+flat+panel+televisions.htm

OR...

i could spend an extra £60 odd quid for a new JVC LT-17C50 at £315 at a local shop here......
http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_12241849/100311823.html

any thoughts? is it worth me paying the extra?

cheers in advance.

ficko

Established Member
cheers spidey.

may well look into that as the co-op have just sold the last jvc. am still tempted to pay a little more for a decent make though.

whats the sound on it like? tinny? also, specs state that it has a hdtv decoder. without sounding too much like a donkey, i assume this means it can pick up hdtv resolution when available.

will pop into currys later me thinks :)

Skeletal

Standard Member
Check out the Wharfedale 17 inch widescreen with digital freeview tuner for £300 at Argos. There have been a few good reports in these forums. The first one I bought had dodgy sound after about 20-30 min, but to cut a long story short (it’s in another post if you’re interested!) I bought a second one yesterday which seems to be OK.

For its price I think the picture (on freeview) is really good. Sound is a bit tinny (even when working correctly!!) but you can’t really complain for a small telly at this price.

Skeletal

ficko

Established Member

russ123

Established Member
Not had any problems with my Wharfedale which Ive had for 3 months. I'm very pleased with it. As for quality, it is meant to be a rebadged Toshiba 17WLT46...

My brand loyalty-o-meter thinks you should go for the JVC one simply because it might have less chance of breaking down.

BUT! I haven't had experience of the "lesser brand" electronics (sorry to use a pompous phrase but I can't think of an equivalent) in awhile so take that with a pinch of salt. If it's "only" 60 pounds though (which in the world of LCD TVs isn't a huge deal) I'd go for it.

Edit: Oh, and the JVC one is the only one that guarantees you the 1366x768 (true 16:9) resolution. The BEKO one doesn't specify a resolution and to my eye looks like a 15:9 panel.

ficko

Established Member
cheers guys!

well, i purchased the wharfedale from argos, brand new and not repacked as has been previously experienced by others.

have no complaints with the set apart from a little light leakage top and bottom. my only real complaint was with the blasted sparkys who wired up me extension 6 months ago. supposed to connect new co-ax to existing aerial and left it all in a coil in the rear attic instead of the main attic!!! when i tried to tune it all in didn't recognise anything!

disappointing thing was i hooked the tv up to my other tv points and must admit was very disappointed. my portable upstairs receives a far better reception! analogue was extremely grainy/blocky and digital was ok but signal was far too weak giving sound pops and blockiness. my area , unfortunately, is on the "fringe" of two antennae's and receives a pretty weak signal! looks like a little work and probably a higher gain aerial required. ah well another couple of hundred quid to spend!

as i said befor i'm a bit new to all of this. is there a decent aerial type i can have installed that will give a much better digital reception to what i have? i.e one that will obtain a good signal in a poor reception area???

will appreciate any input from anyone who has a similiar problem.

cheers for the replies btw.

Skeletal

Standard Member
I live in a dodgy signal area primarily due to being down a hill and there being a row of very tall trees a few hundred metres away. An aerial installer fitted an digital wideband high gain aerial a few moths ago, but it was useless for freeview. Some internet research later and I came across a Televes DAT 45. I’ve not tried putting links into this forum before, but if it works check out:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT45.html

I have started using TLC Direct and found them very good. I ended up buying this aerial, plus a 10 foot pole from Maplins, and a large mounting kit to lash it to the chimney (but I can’t remember where I got the lashing kit from now!).

A very scary few hours on the roof later and I now have a good freeview signal! Both my Panny Plasma and the Wharfedale LCD give good pictures, no blocking...or pops on the sound etc (the Panny has a better picture but what do you expect for nearly ten times the price :) ).

I suppose an aerial fitter could do it, if you can find one that will fit such an aerial…but I invariably find if you want a job doing…do it yourself!

Skeletal

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom