1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17" LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by treherne, Apr 12, 2005.

1. treherne

treherne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a 17" LCD TV - good value, good quality. Looking to spend no more than £400.

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi treherne,

The Which magazine reviewed eight small LCD tvs this month 15 - 17") You can view Which at most public libraries and can copy there too.

The Philips and Sony came top and they said the Sony was best for picture and sound but I have seen two adverse posts on the sound from the Sony (one on Amazon).
    The cheapest I have seen for the Philips is around £420 - £425 including delivery. I read a few posts on forums on the Philips and they were very favourable. I am considering getting one for myself. Happy viewing!

3. happyhooker

happyhooker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Cutler

Cutler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ahve just purchased a Phillips PF179946 and am very pleased with it. have wall mounted in the bedroom and it does the job excellently. good PQ and raelly nifty remote. Would reccomend it. Saw it vote as number one in 'Digital' (I think) magazines top ten small LCD's. Gave it an excellent review and I'm not dissapointed.

5. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The MIKOMI 17" widescreen is now down to £250 at Argos. Just for info but don't know if its ant good :confused:

AnilS.

6. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cutler,

This is the one I am thinking of buying. Interesting to find it was number one in "Digital" mags. top ten small LCDs. I would be using mine in the kitchen, anything to make cooking and cleaning more fun! I do have an old Sony portable there, which never seems to go wrong but the depth is so bulky, I would imagine the PF179946
    would look really neat.

7. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi happyhooker,

The LG in the Which review was not widescreen so I assumed all their small tvs were only 4:3. LG used to have a bad name a long time ago but now they are producing some top notch goods. Glad you're happy with your purchase. Their side by side fridge freezer is very tasty indeed! (A bit off topic)!

Hi AnilS

I had looked in the Argos catalogue, and that name is a new one to me, a very good price. I wish they would state who the manufacturer was. I've been surprised to find how many are composites of bits from different manufacturers. Lots of Grundigs now are badged Matsuis.

The lcds are certainly more attractive to look at. I wonder if you are tempted to get a small lcd too.

8. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Hello Cynthia 7, I popped into Argos late today and they had 4 left. I'll pick one up (if they have any left) tomorrow and report back. And yes, its for the kitchen too :) .

AnilS.

9. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
  10. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got a used relisys RLT1720s 17" lcd tv from ebuyer for £186 inc delivery. but they do them new for £280+del.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=50616
    quickfind code: 50616

had mine a week and apart from when you get up close to it pq is pretty good. however my expectations are low and its just so i can watch sky on from time to time to cut down on wear and tear on my projector.

11. Topic

Topic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello AnilS :hiya:

My old portable TV in the kitchen has been going off and on in the last 2 days and also has a burning smell coming from it. I am now looking for a replacement LCD 17"ish TV for the kitchen.

Is your new purchase any good.

Topic

12. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Hello Topic :hiya: (small world isn't it :) )

Went to get one but out of stock. They hope to get some more this Wednesday, so fingers crossed.

AnilS.

13. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Mikomi 17" at Argos is manufactured by Vestel. It's also available as a Techwood (@DSG stores) and the Bush LCD17TV002 (£240 at QED). Search this forum, there were some comments on it a while ago.

14. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon2099,

I found your post extremely interesting. I tried to research the manufacturer of "Mikomi" without success. It really is quite amazing how many televisions are rebadged with different names, and most are composites of different manufacturers. You obviously have a lot of inside knowledge.

My Googling, usually successful, lets me down when trying to find the actual manufacturer of different products, not just AV items.

15. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Actually I don't have any inside knowledge, I just made some deductions. I had the Mikomi for the day and when plugged to the PC, it reports a DDC ID of 'VES1700' (or something similar, it was a while ago). The OSD also looks like that on other Vestel products. Those 3 TVs I mentioned have the same external case and inputs, which most likely means they're identical inside given that the prices are quite similar. The same TV also forms the basis of the Hitachi 17LD4220 (slightly different case) and the Toshiba 17WL46B (completely different case, better S-IPS panel and presumably Toshiba's proprietary post-procesing). Both Hitachi and Toshiba have contracts with Vestel where Vestel makes TVs for them.

16. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533

i have just been looking at this...

anyone got or seen one in action.. looks good for the money and perfect for a bedroom tv.

17. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Are there any 17" LCDs with HDMI yet?

18. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  19. GJD

GJD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does the Samsung 730MW have teletext?

20. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    anyone found any reviews of the MIKOMI 17"

cant find anything decent on these screens. just been into my local argos and they dont have any on demo.

Dal

21. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Looks good. Neither Google or Samsung UK could provide any tech details (it has both 'anaolgue and digital connections', yeah, thanks for the details!), with no PC World handy I would like more confirmation that it works with HDMI via an adapter. As posted before, no mention of teletext or scarts either. Perhaps aimed more at a desktop rather than a bedroom.

22. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi jon,

I have only just seen your post; some surprising information there. I have to be honest, I had never heard of Vestel but it seems they are very involved with several manufacturers. Another eye opener was that the small Hitachi and Toshiba are virtually the same television without the post-processing. Perhaps this is more common with LCD and Plasma screens? I had read that Pacific tvs from Asda require the same Sky codes as Philips, not sure if they're crts.

Possibly brand loyalty is a thing of the past as consumers are becoming more aware of the origins of their AV products. I always assume that Sony is 100% Sony but now I'm not so sure.

23. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I've got one & its pretty good. Its got Fastext, PIP, RGB Scart, Components, DVI-D with HDCP. Cant fault it for connections but I have found one problem, its tubes are basically too bright, on dark scenes the top & bottom inch are a different brightness to the rest ?

Other than that a top TV !

:thumbsup:

24. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have read elsewhere that Vestel make CRT TVs for Toshiba as well. Some Bush CRT TVs made by Vestel also use Philips remote control codes. Contract manufacturing has been going on for a while.

25. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    What are the picture modes like on this LCD..... i.e if set to Auto and you put on a true 16:9 film (The Incredibles for instance) does it fill the screen ?? or do you have to use some sort of zoom function??

26. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you jon,

Now I know why so many people can't find a Sky code for their new televisions. Who would think to use a Philips code on a Bush tv?

It's a pity they can't put a "Sticky" on the tv forums, revealing which manufacturers make which marque televisions. Actually, I realise this would not be achievable with the number of models and makes currently being manufactured and parts sourced from wherever. As you say, it's contract manufacturing and most of us are in the dark about this.

27. marcusanderson

marcusanderson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a 17' Mikomi LCD TV from Argos and the picture seems very good. Had a few problems tuning it in as the TV reception where I live is not very good but the picture was really good when connected to my DVD player. A 16:9 film fills the screen perfectly.

One thing I have noticed though is that when the screen is very dark there is a noticable lighter band at the top on bottom of the scree. I don't know if this is a fault with the TV or just something you get with LCD's (this is my first one)

Marcus

28. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Marcus, Whats the sound quality like??

Im proberly gonna get one of these at the weekend for my bedroom. Is it possible to put it on the wall with a standard bracket? - i see it comes with a stand.

I have read about the picture issue, is it a real pain??

I plan to connect my dvd player via scart and then an RF feed from my Sky box in the lounge to it.

Dal

29. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sounds like the screen has some leakage from the backlight.
    Some lcd screens do suffer from this problem , I believe the 20 inch Beko that Argos are selling is prone to this problem.
    I think you have two options , take it back and see if the replacement is any better or if it does not really bother you , you might aswell keep hold of it and enjoy your viewing.

Drphibes

30. marcusanderson

marcusanderson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dal

The sound quality isn't too bad. When I first set it up it sounded a little tinny but after changing some of the audio settings (you can use equaliser or pre-sets) it sounded ok, good enough for a bedroom any way. There is also an audio out on the TV so you could always connect it to you stereo in your bedroom if you have one.

The TV comes with a stand but also appears to have fixings on the back to allow you to wall mount it although I'm not sure how it would look with all the wires hanging down the back.

Marcus