1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17" LCD TV / PC Monitor

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PaulBoy, Dec 31, 2003.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Folks ... I have read numerous threads on the above subject as I am in the market for a decent set for the bedroom to replace my antique 14" set - I have a few questions which would assist ...
    The Grundig 17" appears to give best results picture wise (I also looked at the equivalent LG 17" but this appears to have issues over SCART not being RGB etc)
    The Grundig is a 17" widescreen so does it give a full 16x9 picture when fed such a signal by TV / Cable broadcast (I have NTL Cable box in bedroom)
    Does the Grundig do likewise with a DVD signal ?
    What is the optimum connection method for DVD (component ?)
    What is the optimum connection method for TV/Cable ? (NTL box has SCART but not sure what else)
    Presumably a DVD with component output would be ideal but if I were to connect a non component DVD player what type of connection would give the best picture
    Finally the Grundig is in the sales at both Currys & Dixons for £499 & seems good value
    TIA - Paul ;)

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Paul,

The Grundig would show 16:9 broadcasts and anamorphic DVDs in the correct fullscreen ratio. I would connect a DVD player up by component, presuming your player has this output. For non-component players and your NTL receiver, I would use RGB Scart output into a JS Tech RGB to VGA converter. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Steve ... Yes that's a big help - re
    Forgive my ignorance but I presume this is a Scart lead which teminates in another type of plug (is it like a computer monitor lead ?) & where do you get such a lead (maplins or the like ?) & how much - BTW where do you buy component leads & how much are they ?
    TIA - Paul

4. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    My thoughts on the Grundig
    Good picture, but the 16:9 mode is not absolutely accurate fed from a Freeview box. It seems very slightly squashed horizontaly.
    There is no SCART input, so no auto aspect ratio switching.
    The sound quality through the tiny speakers is appalling.
    There are no audio out sockets so you need to take decent audio from the source box (Freeview etc)
    Otherwise- no problems.

5. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MMMMM the js converter will put a big price on the set, how much is the converter? just looked 120 notes plus del....

over 20% of the screen......... not worth it

D

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Paul,

See www.js-technology.com for details of the converter. If this is over your budget, an RGB to S-video converter may suffice but the quality wouldn't be as good. They also sell good quality cables that you would need.

Steve

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Steve - thanks again & to the other posters all help gratefully received ... the converter is too pricey & its only for the bedroom so Scart to Svideo looks the best option ... Paul ;)

8. msunday

msunday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Am I just being thick or this a problem.

I have the grundig 17" lcd in my bedroom and when on a low volume I can hear a clicking noise. When I get right up close to the set the clicking seems to come from just above the speakers or even the speakers themselves.

Is this normal for an lcd - is it the picture refreshing ? - or have I got a faulty set. (I have already relaced it twice due to other issues - bought from Dixons of course!)