1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17" LCD HDTV around 400 quid!?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tim k, Mar 8, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I did a search for "samsung SM730MW hdcp" and found nothing but the manual on the Samsung web site does mention that HDCP is supported but treats the DVI-D input as a computer input. If you connect a video source to a DVI computer input or a computer source to a DVI video input there are differences in the digital levels so you may have problems not getting the full range of blacks and whites.

It is also rather an odd resolution 1280x1024 for TV work and oddly none of the input resultions appear to support his resolution (1280x768 is the max) so I suspect that this is a mistake in the specifications. In addition 50Hz required for PAL is not mentioned either - 56 to 75Hz appears only to be supported.

On paper, there is nothing to say that this monitor will support Sky HD due to lack of 720p/50 and 1080i/25. I would normally say try the display with the actual source that you intend to pair, but obviously in this case it is not practical. The other alternative would be to try it with an upscaling DVD player in 720p/50 and 1080i/25 modes.

However, my instinct would be that this monitor is not suitable for Sky HD or any of the future HD formats with European/PAL material.

-Ian

3. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I have one of these, great PC/HTPC PQ via the DVI & yes it is HDCP enabled. Its actual resolution is 1280x768, some sites are reporting a 4:3 resolution, this is probably from another Samsung Panel.

The screen also has component, svideo, rgb scart, composite & RF connections. Its a looker & an absolute bargain at £320 from Ebuyer.

Only has a 6 bit panel which restricts the colours a fraction, see my other post for more details.

:clap:

4. No Name

No Name

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in this product, plan to buy it for video gaming(PS2 & XBOX) and PC display purpose. I need to know how is the performance of HDTV gaming display at 480p and 1080i? Does RGB SCART and component input accept all HDTV format? Thanks.

5. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    With Scart you have no chance. Progressive High Def Pictures are only available via Component, DVI or VGA. I can vouch for the DVI & VGA but not the others.

The menu however has a source labelling function & does make mention of D-VHS. As this is 1080i over component connections I would say it should be fine.

:thumbsup: