17" LCD advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Lo-Fi, Feb 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Lo-Fi

Lo-Fi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

looking to buy a 17" widescreen LCD for use in the bedroom. Only need scart and RF although would like to be able to connect Xbox with standard lead (not technical enough to know the name for it :rolleyes: )

Have been looking at the following :

Toshiba 17WL46B
    Philips 17PF9946
    Sony KLV-17HR3S

Which one of these would do the job best - are there any others around the same price point I should consider?

Also want to wall mount - any recommendations for a 2-arm mount?

SO many questions . . . . :rotfl:

Thanks

PiersLo-Fi

2. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hello Lo Fi,

I have just purchased the Philips 17" PF9946.
    I was very dubious about buying any LCD TV`s as I have heard so much poor reports of picture quality and sound. But I eventually dwindled them down to 2 choices, the Sony 17" HR3 and the Philips 17" PF9946. I bought the Sony first but was disappointed with the sound (distortion when using the sound options ie "natural" & "dynamic").It is also only a 15:9 ratio and not a 16:9. I sent it back and got a full refund.
    My 2nd choice was the Philips. It has 2 scart sockets and a s-video socket.the picture quality is superb, very little (literally none) smearing, razor sharp pictures and very good sound compared to other LCD`s I have heard. It is also an FM radio!
    Being a Philips it has a couple of operating quirks but nothing that detracts from the set. I purchased the TV from my local John Lewis store (Solihull) for £499 and that is with a 5 year guarantee!!

As far as the connection to the x-box, I would use one of the scart sockets,l
    leads are available from Play.com for £4.99 at the following link:

http://www.play247.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=XBOX&title=115618

Or alternatively from your local "Game" store.

As far as the Tosh, is concerned all I can say is try to read the forums and the tests available before making your choice. I`m happy with my choice and I am usually quite critical about my cinema equipment. I doubt whether you will get much response from the forums, I didn`t when I posted a similar thread to yours some weeks ago. Just try to view as many of your choices as possible side by side and don`t forget to ask questions, but sometimes you have to take the salepersons answers with a pinch of salt. All the salepersons told me the Sony was best, it was also the most expensive!!!!!

As far as the mounting is concerned have a look at the following link and click on display and then LCD:

http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/06sup/06F.html

You can order over the phone with a credit card or send a cheque via snail mail.

It has taken me 6-8 weeks to decide on my choice, I hope I have been of help to make yours.

Regards

Stuart

3. Lo-Fi

Lo-Fi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuart,

Thanks for that - very helpful. I think my hesitation with the Philips is that their stuff always seems hit and miss. Sometimes it is excellent and other times down right appauling. Sounds like this is one of the good one so I might focus on that.

PiersLoFi

4. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also bought the Philips 17PF9946 recently after much reading of posts and reviews. Have to agree that the picture and sound are superb for a small screen lcd tv, it also has the funkiest remote I've ever seen.

I've wall-mounted mine with a Vogels tilt/turn bracket bought off a trader on Ebay. Can't speak for other brackets but be warned the Vogels brackets need adaptors to fit the Philips as the fitting area is recessed and the brackets won't fit in this recess. However a quick email to Vogels sorted my problem out and they sent me the necessary extra parts.

Got my Philips from Tvandvideodirect.com for £439.44 but I was in Richer Sounds at the weekend and I'm sure someone walked out with one for £400, so might be worth looking into. Good luck. :)

5. SCAGLEY

SCAGLEY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also been looking around for a 17' WS. Choice seems quite limited. Initially, I was convinced the Sony was for me but after some research a realised a few limitations. 15:9, 1 scart socket, price.

I was being pull towards the Toshiba - iDTV + 2 scart. But, haven't heard anything good about it.

I read a few posts on the forum about the Phillips. I've never really thought of Phillips as being a quality brand and so am often put off. However saying that, there appears to be some positive feedback around. I'm going to take a closer look at the Phillips now.

Good luck
    Paul

6. BobD

BobD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 17WLT46 and it is good. Before I bought it I compared the picture on freeview with the phillips 17 inch lcd fed from a philips free view box and the toshiba was the best. The Toshiba's picture on freeview is much better than the same channel from an analogue feed using a very good analogue signal fed from a Televe DAT45 MRD aerial. Watched the Champions League Liverpool match on freeview and it was very watchable and better than the same picture on a 21inch Sony analogue tv.
    Suggest you compare the freeview pictures on different lcd's.
    The freeview tuner has always worked fine and even received the BBC channels in Horsham W Sussex using a very old small aerial. With the new aerial it receives all the freeview channels from Midhurst except those deliberately masked off at the transmitter.
    The black level of the picture is not as good as it could be and also difficult to determine in a brightly lit shop but I do not find it a real problem. It has PIP so you can watch the freeview and analogue tuners at the same time - 2 footie matches!
    The picture using the analogue tuner is as good as any other LCD I have seen but does require a good feed as any noise appears to be amplified by the TV.
    My view was that freeview is the future and with a digital tv it needs to be built in to get the direct feed to the digital display.

7. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This maybe a personal preferance but !! i have to say i see these sets everyday and i really do like the tosh i think the pictures great its got pip ,pc conection idtv it looks good the only thing i dont like is the remote. now if it had the philips remote it would be even better. im not keen on the sony its not a bad lcd but its not to my liking and the philips well it always fades on an angle they have gone for the mac design so it does look good the softwares a bit quirky but the remotes cool. i know this proberly wont help but just thought id give you my opinion . :)